What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 24704

Breakfast the other morning at home
(but not for long! we're leaving the house after the movers finish packing us up next Tuesday and staying at a friend's place while she's away, but I'm going off topic, sorry),
Local-style (Hawaiian) Fried Rice. MMM!
This batch has Turkey Bacon, Turkey Sausage and Ham, along with some Sweet White Onions, Scramble eggs and Green Onions, all leftovers tidbits in the `fridge I just threw together.
Normally I would serve this with a fried egg on top, but they have been bothering both of our tummies of late, so...

What, no Spam!:ohmy: Now how can you call yourself a native Hawaiian if there's no spam?:LOL:

I guess you could make a meal of fresh mahi mahi. Oh wait, you're in Arizona. But seriously, your breakfast looks good. Me, I had cantalope that I cut from the melon and ate like a slice of watermellon, and four sausage links, all washed down with ice-cold water. Not gourmet, but healthier than the world famous pancakes.:D

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

More brunch than breakfast I suppose. I call this "Birds in a Nest". Two eggs, sunny side up, on a bed of greens and mushrooms. In this case, the greens consist of tender sauteed pea shoots (a delicious farmers market find) seasoned with Tamari, ginger, and garlic.

img_1470042_0_b7d03e7c14915c7b450788faac1056b0.jpg

I can't imagine anyone eating what the pic posted by the OP eats. The best I can do is toast a piece of rye bread. Generally I just have a cup of coffee until I make dinner. I only eat when I'm hungry.

What, no Spam!:ohmy: Now how can you call yourself a native Hawaiian if there's no spam?:LOL:

I guess you could make a meal of fresh mahi mahi. Oh wait, you're in Arizona. But seriously, your breakfast looks good. Me, I had cantalope that I cut from the melon and ate like a slice of watermellon, and four sausage links, all washed down with ice-cold water. Not gourmet, but healthier than the world famous pancakes.:D

Funny you mention that Chief... back home that would be a typical breakfast, Mahi, eggs over easy and steamed white rice... my sister's favorite.

Our new landlords pointed us in the direction of a super bagel shop.
So, I bought a big bag full to bring home for later...

taylors ham bagel.jpg

Fried crisp, Taylor's Ham (or Taylor's Pork Roll if you're from New Jersey)
on a plain bagel with melted Swiss cheese

DH was in heaven! That big bag of bagels were gone in a couple of days...

DH:"We need to go back to that shop"
Me:"Which one is that (as if I don't know;))"
DH:"You know! That place with the really good bagels, we need some more"
Me:"Already?"

Looks delicious, Steve and kgirl! :yum:

My daughter came over and took me to breakfast late this morning, so I guess it was more of a brunch. Didn't get a pic, but it was so good - from a little mom and pop place here in town. I had a couple of fried eggs, hash browns, sausage patties, sourdough toast, a bowl of watermelon, and coffee. :ohmy: I was stuffed for the rest of the day. :)

Beautiful Steve! I wish I could find pea shoots around here.

When I was a young man in the U.S. Navy, living on the seventh floor in sever story barracks, one of my friends, with whom I shared ridiculous adventures, found himself opening his door and being shot in the head with a pea shooter. I handed him a bag of dried, whole peas, and a plastic straw. We entered his room and proceeded to have a grand pea shooter battle (it was done in his room so that I could help clean, but now worry about it being spotless). It was outrageous fun.

Oh, wait, you said pea shoots, not pea shooters. But then, I already knew that. The words just reminded me of being a 21 year old kid, with a good friend who was game for almost anything. It was too good a memory not to share. If I had an adult friend willing to participate right now, I'd do it again.

Beautiful Steve! I wish I could find pea shoots around here.

Hi PF... the ONLY places I can ever find these unusual vegetables are 1.) the farmers market booths run by (usually) southeast Asian immigrants, and 2.) Asian grocers. These folks have all kinds of things I don't find anywhere else. In fact, I'd bet that 90% of the "new" foods I've tried over the last 10 years have come from these two sources.

Peas are *super* easy to grow. And if you pick them as shoots, you won't have to shell the peas ;)

Could I sprout them like bean sprouts? How long do I let them grow?

Thanks, Steve. The closest place with an Asian market around here is Denver...

Bunnies got into the radicchio.:(

Could I sprout them like bean sprouts? How long do I let them grow?

Thanks, Steve. The closest place with an Asian market around here is Denver...

Bunnies got into the radicchio.:(

I don't know - I've never tried that. It takes a week to 10 days for them to sprout in the ground and another couple of weeks to get a good-sized stem with leaves.

All pea shooting aside, the pea sprouts is such a wonderful idea. I wold caution though, that as other sprouts, cair must be taken to heat teh srpout sufficint to destroy any salmonella, as it can be harbord in the seed, or be on the suface in a dormant state. Once placed in a moist, warm, and fertile environment, it can rapidly propigat itself and be in and on your sprouts.

Back to the original topic, I had a big slice of ripe cantalope, and a cold glass of milk to chase down the pills I have to take daily.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom