What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Breakfast for me consists of a glass of green smoothie (kale, spinach, berries usually) and a fibre bar for the road. When I get to work i'll usually grab a coffee about an hour later. That's it! Pretty boring compared to everyone else right?

I am in a breakfast rut...I've been having my breakfast salad bowl--romaine lettuce, Tex-Mex black beans topped with two poached eggs. I could eat this 2-3x/day.

I've gotten to where I don't "make" breakfast much anymore. Not like you people do.

My breakfast is mainly store bought now. I'm too tired in the morning to cook breakfast.

Before you criticize me for buying frozen, the brand Great Starts "Breakfast Wraps" has 29% of the daily recommended fiber (not bad!) and is made of scrambled egg whites, turkey sausage and low fat cheese, along with bits of red and green peppers. That's twice the fiber of whole grain muffins, or whatnot.

It's not something I would microwave as breakfast for dinner, but in the morning when I'm hungry, they're very OK with a glass of orange juice. Also, less healthy are Jimmy Dean's frozen "Sausage, Egg and Cheese Croissants", which I also microwave and have with a glass of sunshine.

Also...I'll sometimes buy "Steak-Ums" frozen thin sliced steaks and have "Steak and Eggs" for breakfast.

Last edited:
I was lazy this morning, opened a can of VanCamp's pork and beans and ate it cold from the can. Lots of fiber, tastes ok, fills the belly. I have lots to do before going to work. Hope you all have a great day, and that your breakfast is better than was mine.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was lazy this morning, opened a can of VanCamp's pork and beans and ate it cold from the can. .:mrgreen:

That's not lazy. I consider that as a gourmet appetizer/snack/meal!

I have had to stop buying cans of beans for that very reason, they would never reach the pot to be heated much less get to the table.

Can of beans from the cupboard, a spoon and a (chicken) hot dog straight from the fridge... heaven!

img_1498512_0_cbf58e7339c67a0f4cd11742da8f865a.jpg

I was lazy this morning, opened a can of VanCamp's pork and beans and ate it cold from the can. Lots of fiber, tastes ok, fills the belly. I have lots to do before going to work. Hope you all have a great day, and that your breakfast is better than was mine.:mrgreen:

Chief, I buy every month 1 small can of Bush's Boston Recipe Beans. In the fridge they go as soon as I unpack them at home. It has been quite a while since I have had beans heated up. Nothing lazy 'bout it. Just good eating.

I couldn't do it. I love my eggs, fried, poached, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, deviled, etc. And I can eat them in a sandwich, on top of toast, on an English muffin, a bagle, in a tortilla, etc. But I love pancakes with a sweet topping such as maple syrup, or wild honey, or a great jam to put eggs on top of them. Sadly, because of the diabetes, pancakes are a rare treat now. They used to be my all time favorite breakfast. We ate them every Saturday, with sausage, bacon, and a frosted, glass mug of whole milk. And the pancakes come in so many difference varieties, my recipe that I've shared on this site so many times, buckwheat, whole wheat, multi-grain, with blueberries, or with bananas mashed and added to the batter, as dutch babies, or the batter with more sugar, baked into a basic snack cake.

And eggs, too many ways to make them amazing to list, but for me, never on top of pancakes.

But S&P, that's just me. If you like the combination of eggs on top of pancakes, and your picture shows how great each of them are prepared, then by all means, eat them with gusto. Roll every bite in your mouth so as to savor the flavor combination. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mmmm....biscuits and sausage gravy. I haven't had that in way too long. Your SIL's method sounds delicious, Bucky!

Biscuits and sausage gravy CAN be awesome for breakfast, IF the sausage and gravy is done right. If not, you have wallpaper paste on a soggy biscuit. And, it seems that the latter is more common than the former.

One of these days, I just need to get in the kitchen and experiment with some sausage gravy until I get it right. Then, I can make the good stuff when I get a craving for it.

CD

Biscuits and sausage gravy CAN be awesome for breakfast, IF the sausage and gravy is done right. If not, you have wallpaper paste on a soggy biscuit. And, it seems that the latter is more common than the former.

One of these days, I just need to get in the kitchen and experiment with some sausage gravy until I get it right. Then, I can make the good stuff when I get a craving for it.
CD

When I was in the seventh grade, they taught home economics at that time. Sewing and cooking. I remember the very first thing that we learned to cook was white sauce. The bases for sausage and gravy. One, one and one. One tablespoon of melted butter, one tablespoon of flour and one cup of milk. What you use that sauce for was entirely up to you.

Craig's brother used to have his sausage gravy on top of pancakes.

We did our usual breakfast out yesterday and today, both times new places. Yesterday was a definite thumbs down, how that place gets such good reviews is beyond me. Craig's breakfast was okay, but his toast didn't come out until he was almost done. I got a pannini, at least what they call a paninni. Only part of the bread that hit the grill was the inside. It wasn't pressed at all. It was supposed to have green apple slices and brie cheese, but both were barely there, especially the cheese, under a huge mountain of roast turkey. The turkey was good and moist but the sandwich was way out of balance. I guess I'm odd but I'd rather have balanced fillings than a huge amount of one, and I'd rather get what was advertised, i.e. a paninni.

Today's went much better. Homemade corned beef and eggs for Craig, plus potato cakes, which actually were huge potato latkes, best we've had in a long time. I had eggs benedict served on top of potato latkes. They said hollandaise was made from scratch, but I'm not quite sure of that, although it wasn't bad, just not like when I make it.

I ended wishing I had ordered some of their pancakes, which are apparently their specialty and are the same size as the plate. They had streusal, m & m, and oreo pancakes as specials, as well as toasted pecan plus the usual plain, blueberry, chocolate chip, etc.

Last edited:

CD

I don't have biscuits and sausage gravy very often - a couple of times a year, maybe. So it's a real treat when I do. :yum: Usually it's around Christmas or Thanksgiving when I figure I'm overeating anyway, so why not go for it. :D

I start with a lb of bulk sausage, and set aside enough for a couple of small patties. Fry up the rest, crumbling as it cooks. Drain the sausage and set aside, reserving about a TBSP of the fat in the pan for the roux, add a TBSP of flour, cook and stir till thickened. Add a cup of milk, half or so at first, stir, then add the rest of the milk as needed until it looks the right consistency. Add the crumbled sausage back in, lower the heat, stir till warm, pour over warm biscuits, and enjoy.

I'm a cracked black pepper fan, so I usually add a couple of turns of the pepper mill before pouring over the biscuits. And I'm not much of a baker, so I just make tube biscuits. :)

Oh man....now I want biscuits and gravy. :(:LOL:

Since I had the night before off and finally got some rest, I got up early and made everyone a traditional Jersey breakfast: lightly pan fried Taylor ham, eggs over easy, and melted American cheese on hard rolls (kaiser rolls). They were delicious.

Hey, where's mofet, my Jersey sistah?

Oh, yeah. OJ on ice for me, iced green tea for my boy, and DW's usual pot o' coffee.

Back
Top Bottom