"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #2641
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
it won't be long now, jpb. he's in his final year, and the presidency is too far away for a tyrant from nyc.

bot, i'm having scrambled eggs, some bacon, and tater tots when i get home this morning as all i ate yesterday was 2 small carrots, 2 stalks of celery, a little hummus, 3 garlic knots, and a tiny boneless pork chop.

i'm hungry!
Second and third shifts in our computer operations division used to cook up a storm in their 70th floor lunch room. We used to have a lot of heavy weight staff with nicknames like Big Bird and the Penguin.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #2642
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
it won't be long now, jpb. he's in his final year, and the presidency is too far away for a tyrant from nyc.

bot, i'm having scrambled eggs, some bacon, and tater tots when i get home this morning as all i ate yesterday was 2 small carrots, 2 stalks of celery, a little hummus, 3 garlic knots, and a tiny boneless pork chop.

i'm hungry!
BT, You'd have enjoyed breakfast at my Grandpa's on a Saturday morning. It usually started with Sugar Smacks, or bread, soaked in milk and sprinkled with sugar, followed by Eggs made in a poaching pan, with the little cups well lubricated with butter, and either pancakes, or waffles with sausage. If it was pancakes, Grandpa would bring them in while singing - "Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine, I outta know, cause I like 'em so, that I eat 'em all the time."

And I was so ridiculously skinny back then. I wonder if I ate that breakfast every Saturday, if I'd be skinny again.

All I know is that food was good at Granpa's, no matter which meal was taking place. He's the guy who introduced me to delicacies like pickled pigs feet, head cheese, thin sliced roast beef (that he roasted) for sandwiches, things like that. My Dad gave me raw hot dogs to snack on, or a chunk of colby or cheddar cheese, or a stick of pepperoni (that's right, a whole stick!", and great foods like that. He also made lots of flap jacks, and fried eggs, two slices of french toast with a slice of Velveeta melted between them, and good things like that.

I was a well fed, skinny kid. Those were the days, my friend.

Breakfast this morning was a frozen half banana, with a half cup of frozen mango chunks, blended with one cup milk, one cup of water, with a bit of ginger and nutmeg thrown in, and low-carb protien meal replacement powder. Instant sherbet. Tastes great and full of good things. I did cheat and eat a small slice of liverwurst, just because I felt like it was the right thing to do.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #2643
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Fish eye (large pearl) tapioca pudding with heavy cream today, 1 1/2 grilled cheddar cheese with onions sandwiches yesterday. Hope Mayor Mike doe not hear about my breakfast sins. I try to compensate by skipping lunch.
When I was a small child, my mother was making tapioca pudding. My sister told me they were 'fish eyes.' To this day I refuse to even try and taste it. And when I make fish stock with a fish frame, I have to close my eyes when I put the frame in the pot. The idea of haivng fish eyes cooking in my pot just turns my stomach.

My sister also told me that damsel flies (dragon flies) would sew my mouth shut. I spent the whole summer keeping my mouth wide open so it wouldn't get sewn shut. I obviously had a very tramatic childhood.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #2644
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I was a small child, my mother was making tapioca pudding. My sister told me they were 'fish eyes.' To this day I refuse to even try and taste it. And when I make fish stock with a fish frame, I have to close my eyes when I put the frame in the pot. The idea of haivng fish eyes cooking in my pot just turns my stomach.

My sister also told me that damsel flies (dragon flies) would sew my mouth shut. I spent the whole summer keeping my mouth wide open so it wouldn't get sewn shut. I obviously had a very tramatic childhood.

My sister used to tell me asparagus were elephant pimples and that if you stand under a Jacaranda tree and a flower falls on your head you become really clever. I spent hours under bloody Jacaranda trees!
And my brother! Always waking me up to find the "horse's keys"
I have issues over that lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #2645
Chef Extraordinaire

I am about to have almond oat flakes
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #2646
Chef Extraordinaire

Same ole for me, 1/2 cup of captain crunch with 1/2 cup of frosted mini wheats & skim milk.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #2647
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Same ole for me, 1/2 cup of captain crunch with 1/2 cup of frosted mini wheats & skim milk.
Sounds like you are back on track.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #2648
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sounds like you are back on track.
I am Addie, thank you! I am still keeping it at about 1,200-1,300 calories a day. Still loving the pool. I start swimming lessons next thursday.

Glad to hear of your interest of getting back into planning meals with the grocery store too, good for you! You keep it up too

Thanks for your support. You are truely a wonderful person.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #2649
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I am Addie, thank you! I am still keeping it at about 1,200-1,300 calories a day. Still loving the pool. I start swimming lessons next thursday.

Glad to hear of your interest of getting back into planning meals with the grocery store too, good for you! You keep it up too

Thanks for your support. You are truely a wonderful person.
So excited to hear about your swimming lessons, SB! Am thrilled that you were able to get them!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #2650
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My breakfasts will be the same for the near future. Hot cereal, an egg, coffee and a V-8 juice (low sodium). 300 calories.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt