What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never tried Steel Cut Oats before ...

Today it was Fresh Peaches sliced into a bowl and layered with Peach Yogurt and plain Granola. Nice contrast of textures.
We still got 2 Peaches and 4 Nectarines left ... gotta find other ways to use these up! Mrs Dear Friend told me this morning that she froze the rest of her share from the California bounty I brought back :)

Today it was Fresh Peaches sliced into a bowl and layered with Peach Yogurt and plain Granola. Nice contrast of textures.
We still got 2 Peaches and 4 Nectarines left ... gotta find other ways to use these up! Mrs Dear Friend told me this morning that she froze the rest of her share from the California bounty I brought back :)

Individual ramekin peach/nectarine cobbler for two?? :yum:

Ross

When you do (and you know it's more likely to be "when" than "if"...), make sure you cook it long enough. I bought a can of McCann oats, not a cheap brand, and tried it...once. Tough as nails! Tossed the can. I probably could have saved myself trouble, not to mention money, by actually paying attention to the cooking directions. :LOL: Now I buy it in bulk from the Amish store twice a year, store it in Tupperware, and cook the living daylights out of it. It still has "tooth", but at least they don't stick in a tooth!

When you do (and you know it's more likely to be "when" than "if"...), make sure you cook it long enough. I bought a can of McCann oats, not a cheap brand, and tried it...once. Tough as nails! Tossed the can. I probably could have saved myself trouble, not to mention money, by actually paying attention to the cooking directions. :LOL: Now I buy it in bulk from the Amish store twice a year, store it in Tupperware, and cook the living daylights out of it. It still has "tooth", but at least they don't stick in a tooth!

CG, how do you cook yours? Suggestions?
Not sure that I'd eat hot cereal in the summer, in the middle of the desert, this may be tabled until fall.

skilletlicker, do you make your cut oats one serving at a time?
Yep. Almost every day either oats or grits. Same set up for both. I use a double boiler which means cooking a little slower but easier cleanup, no chance of burning, and doesn't need to be tended or stirred often. But what goes in after the oats varies a lot and try to mix it up as much as I can. Often dried blueberries I buy in bulk, every kind of fresh fruit, maple syrup, bananas and peanut butter, no limit to possibilities. Now that savory is on the menu , :wacko:!

The last two mornings I have had a big bowl of fresh fruit salad with a nice scoop of coconut milk yogurt to mix in.

That was the last of the yogurt so I am hoping the box I have ready to empty today contains the yogurt maker! It is really difficult to find the coconut yogurt in stores. We prefer the homemade stuff anyway.

CG, how do you cook yours?...
Actually, I use basically the same method as I do a pot of polenta. In my 4-quart Staub pot: 4 parts water to 1 part oats, to start. (Four cups/one cup) Bring the water to a boil, add oats in a stream while stirring constantly, turn heat down to very low, and almost cover the pot. Check on it and stir about every five minutes. Add a little water if they get too thick. Cook them a minimum of 40-45 minutes. If I'm busy, they have been known to go for nearly an hour. When done (they will be cooked but not mushy), divide into four portions.

I use my Corning French White small ramekins (about a cup) with lids. I divide the cooked oatmeal into four servings, put three away in the fridge. Each day I take one out, warm it a little to loosen it up, then add milk or cream to get it a little thinner, pop back into micro and heat (no higher than 50%) until it's warm enough. Add fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts and honey...whatever you want to top it with. Even savory like skilletlicker, but I don't think of oatmeal in that way. Whatever floats your boat. ;)

Livestrong.com has a page comparing the two. In part it says,

Don't claim to fully understand all that but I can testify that they taste a lot better and have a tooth to them. I'd not made them savory before but will on a regular basis from now on. Having acquired a taste for my own cooking, I don't claim to be a reliable critic on the subject, but damn! those were good.

Thanks for the link, skilletlicker. Think I'll try them with more of a sweetish (more traditional) flavor first, then if I like it that way, I'll try a savory twist one night.

skilletlicker, do you make your cut oats one serving at a time? I'll make four servings at once, divide into three covered dishes and a bowl for that day's serving. So much quicker to nuke up a serving each day, rather than wait and cook-cook-cook each day. I've not tried the overnight soak method. Not sure I want to, either.

Never heard of the overnight method - will have to look it up too. Think I've heard somewhere of someone cooking them in a crockpot. Think I will have to look for that also.

Eating 2 pieces of French Toast with honey ham & strawberry cream cheese. After I finish that, it's Key Lime yogurt. Triple chocolate flavored coffee with splenda & half-and-half to drink. Blood sugar will probably be through the roof........

Today's breakfast was brought to you by 3 dozen eggs in the fridge (I used only 2 eggs, whipped them up with half-and-half and a good amount of fines herbes), a 1# tub of mixed greens I got at Aldi last night (didn't use much of those, actually...:ermm: ), and the remains of goat cheese that needed to be used or "loozed". I toasted up two small slices of rye bread from the beginning of the loaf (why are bakery department rye breads shaped a bit like a torpedo?) and used them as egg pushers. :LOL:

Attachments

• 20170617_161536.jpg
    20170617_161536.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 92
One of my favorites this time of year! Biscuits and Tomatoes. No butter, no mayonnaise etc. Bust the biscuit open :ermm: add a thick slice of tomato, a little S&P :yum: !! I had three like that...One more with butter and Steen's Cane Syrup.... for a total of 4 biscuits!!! Coffee and Chicory to wash it down!!

Hush yo mouth!!! It's Saturday! and Saturday is what I call my "cheat" day!! I eat what I want in any amount I want....so quit clutching ya pearls. :LOL:

001.JPG

Father's Day Sunday Brunch
Jumbo Pecan Streusel Sour Cream Muffins
(I baked these off yesterday afternoon to be at the ready this morning,
DH ate all of the Muffin tops as his late night snack :LOL:)
The last of our White Nectarines, sliced
Juice and Coffee/Tea
oh and a big glass of milk for DH

welp... I was to try a new recipe for small batch, no yeast cinnamon rolls..

Some fool (me) forgot to buy powdered sugar for the topping... grrrr

So... it was cheerios and banana for breakfast... again... :(

Ross

One of my favorites this time of year! Biscuits and Tomatoes. No butter, no mayonnaise etc. Bust the biscuit open :ermm: add a thick slice of tomato, a little S&P :yum: !! I had three like that...One more with butter and Steen's Cane Syrup.... for a total of 4 biscuits!!! Coffee and Chicory to wash it down!!

Hush yo mouth!!! It's Saturday! and Saturday is what I call my "cheat" day!! I eat what I want in any amount I want....so quit clutching ya pearls. :LOL:

Uncle Bob, are you diabetic by any chance? Or do you just like to watch what you eat? :yum:

Back
Top Bottom