What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Med, those pancakes sound outrageous! I'm having that the next time we head south again, we don't have First Watch up here.

001.JPG

I saw a post by Serious Eats on Face Book for Crisp Home Fries.
It's a very different technique than what I apply,
so I thought I'd give it go.
Also on our plates was leftover Bacon, poached Eggs and Toast.
Meh, I think I'll go back to my original way of making Home Fries,
if it ain't broke, why fix it, right?

Roast potatoes for breakfast??

Today I had cereal with strawberries and blueberries, followed by brown toast with shredded beetroot and a cup of peppermint tea.

Gillian

Today I had cereal with strawberries and blueberries, followed by brown toast with shredded beetroot and a cup of peppermint tea.

Gillian
I suppose we could say the same about beets on toast, right? ;)

We're still getting fresh cherries at the stores, so I'm still mixing them with my plain Greek yoghurt every day, mostly for breakfasts. I don't want cherry season to end! :cry:

This is often my breakfast during the summer: half an everything bagel with homemade veggie cream cheese and sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, sprinkled with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning. Deviled eggs and salted watermelon on the side.
2017-08-01-11-14-03.jpg

I suppose we could say the same about beets on toast, right? ;)

We're still getting fresh cherries at the stores, so I'm still mixing them with my plain Greek yoghurt every day, mostly for breakfasts. I don't want cherry season to end! :cry:

CG, I froze acoupla pounds of fresh Cherries while they were super cheap for the winter when we can't find non-imported fresh fruits; I'll mix those into our yogurt too.
Though I'm still on the hunt for fresh more Lychee, but everyday I go back to the green grocer, they've already sold out!

This is often my breakfast during the summer: half an everything bagel with homemade veggie cream cheese and sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, sprinkled with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning. Deviled eggs and salted watermelon on the side.
View attachment 27487

Totally forgot about adding salt to my watermelon... my Mom does that all the time. In fact I just bought watermelon and cantaloupe at Costco, so I diced them up and stashed them in the cold box. We have TWO sets of house guests coming this week, YAY!! :w00t:

Gillian

I had a beef and bean burrito with nachos for breakfast today...

CG, I froze acoupla pounds of fresh Cherries while they were super cheap for the winter when we can't find non-imported fresh fruits...
I already have a pound in the freezer! All the grocery stores around here sell 1# bags for around $3. I have a bit over a pound of frozen cherries that I got at $1.69 a pound. Wasn't that much work to pit them while watching TV.

I had the best Taylor HAM, egg, and cheese sammich yesterday. We found a farm not too far away that pasture raises their chickens naturally (diet only supplemented with a gmo and steroid/antibiotic free protein feed), sowe bought a dozen eggs.

Firstly, the eggs were huge. Yuuuuge. Much bigger than store bought jumbos. And the shells were noticably harfer.

But the eggs... Mmmmmmmmm. I felt like the food critic in the movie Ratatoille where he gets transported back to his childhood by the taste of the dish. I mean, these were EGGS! My mom made eggs often for us when we were kids, probably due to budgetary concerns, so I know a good egg. We had them almost daily for one meal or another. One of my mother's "special" Norwegian breakfasts on a really cold day was a raw egg whipped into chocolate milk. And every trip to the beach included hard boiled, and every family party had a tray or three of devilled eggs. So, I kniw a good egg when I taste one.

I'd forgotten how good a REAL egg is.

I almost felt like I was doing it a disservice by putting an over easy egg on a toasted hard seasame roll with lightly fried Taylor Ham (NJ pork roll - And Casey is wrong, Philly trator). But it was just so damned good. The richness of the egg; the warm, luscious yolk running over the saltiness of the ham, the crunchy roll...

I was hoping to go back to the farm tomorrow as they were supposed to have more eggs, and whole chickens (apparently those who under-perform -eek!.. Just kidding), but they will be slaughtering a steer or two soon. Also completely pasture raised.

The prices are somewhat dear: $6/dozen eggs. $8/lb for a chicken with anxiety or performance issues (and you thought your job was tough), and $12/lb and up for beef.

Nonetheless, I doubt I can make it back there tomorrow, and their shop is only open on weekends. My son invited his friend and family to come out on the boat tomorrow. Should be interesting. The family is from Peru, and only the kids speak English. Y yo hablo un poco de Espanol.

Maybe the pet store is open for guinea pigs...

Sorry, back to breakfast.

Last edited:
I have watermelon instead of water when I come back from my walks or I'm really hot. I find it much more cooling. But what is with the salt on watermelon? It seems to me I've heard of it but don't know why or if there is an advantage?

I have watermelon instead of water when I come back from my walks or I'm really hot. I find it much more cooling. But what is with the salt on watermelon? It seems to me I've heard of it but don't know why or if there is an advantage?
It tastes good. Salty and sweet together is yummy :yum:

We just had McDonalds Egg McMuffins...lol...we are remodeling the kitchen and are at the priming and painting stage..Getting it ready for the cabinets which will be installed next week...been without for over a month...

Steel cut oats with prunes today and yesterday for the usual reason folks eat prunes. Suprised how good it is with cinnamon and a little brown sugar.

Back
Top Bottom