"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #2801
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning I had Allbran Honey and Almond

Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #2802
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Sprout and her crew are visiting. Before she came up, I told her how I used to love eating breakfast at my Grandpa's house, with the poached eggs, made in little lift-out aluminum cups, from an egg poaching (steaming) pan, with toast and jelly, followed by pancakes with sausage, and sometimes, a bowl of Super Sugar Crisp preceding the eggs. I asked her if I could serve that kind of breakfast to my grand-daughters, as that is one of my fondest memories of my grandparents, how they loved me and made breakfast something beyond what I would ever get at home, even though breakfast at home was good, normal food. I wanted my Grand-daughters to know that at Grandpa's house, they were loved. Sprout said Ok.

Today's breakfast started with poached eggs on whole wheat toast, with juice. There were Bizmarks waiting for them, and the girls saw them. Of course, they instantly wanted the pastry, that is until they dug into the poached eggs. As both of them are toddlers with a sweet tooth, we were all surprised how much they loved the eggs, with the soft yolk and buttery flavor. They completely forgot about the bizmarks, and both asked for another egg. I made two more. They scarfed them down. You have to remember that I'm talking about a 3.5 and a 1.5 year old here. It made me feel great that they loved Grandpa's poached eggs so much.

Later today, we had brunch with friends, comprised of blueberry pancakes, with wild berries we'd picked, washed and froze last summer. We used my recipe for the batter, with Sprout making the batter and cooking the pancakes. She did a fantastic job. And you should see her flipping skills. Sides included home made breakfast sausage and bacon. Real maple syrup, honey, and Log Cabin Country Kitchen syrups were available for each person to choose from.

My Grand-Daughters finally were able to eat a meal, actually two meals that had most of the foods that I loved as a child at my Grandparent's home.

Sledding, a quick snowmowbile ride, and playing in the snow rounded out the day. You've heard the saying repeated so many times that it is somewhat cliche, but, it just doesn't get any better than this. But then again, if I had all of my kids, and grandkids home, I guiss that would be better.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day! You are truely blessed. Great memories to carry on for generations to come.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #2803
Chef Extraordinaire

When my children were starting their own families, I gave them the following advice.

1. You are obligated to keep your children safe.
2. Let them know that they are loved and always will be.
3. Always remember that family comes first.
4. And to give your children happy memories to carry through life.

For the most part, they haven't done too bad. I can honestly say, I am proud of them as parents.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #2804
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When my children were starting their own families, I gave them the following advice.

For the most part, they haven't done too bad. I can honestly say, I am proud of them as parents.
Great values to pass on to your kids & live by!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #2805
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

There are only four little things I can add to your spectacular advise that I gave my kids: Teach them responsiblility, a good work ethic, accountability, and, I gave you a better environment than I grew up with, it's your job to step it up to the next level, every generation better than the one before.

I've noticed that the people here on DC tend to set the bar very high indeed on the importance of strong families. Makes me glad I'm a part of this family.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #2806
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning I am having Cheerios
Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #2807
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
This morning I am having Cheerios
I often will buy a small box of Cheerios and eat them dry for a snack. And what small kid didn't get them in the high chair tray to learn how to eat finger foods.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #2808
Sous Chef

I had a lovely pouched egg on a slice of whole grain toast dolloped with tatzhiki. Sliced apple too. Do you see my halo? =o)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #2809
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I had a lovely pouched egg on a slice of whole grain toast dolloped with tatzhiki. Sliced apple too. Do you see my halo? =o)
I had to put my sunglasses on. It is shining so brightly.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #2810
Assistant Cook

breakfast lately

Been on a small new weight loss diet. Today Slimfast drink

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt