"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #2941
Chef Extraordinaire

All Bran today

Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #2942
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
With protein in the morning, you will be surprised at how much energy you have to start your day. On those mornings when you have a catered breakfast, it will seem like child's play. The protein also will help to use up those calories with the extra energy you get. Try to get some protein in with every meal. Instead of having a muffin, grab a handful of nuts for a quick pick-me-up. But only put one or two in your mouth at one time. You may have to talk to the public at just that moment. Do you have clothes with a pocket? Preferably a blouse with a pocket. You can keep the nuts in your pocket and grab one every so often. Also look at the bins with dried fruit. Dried apricots, apple slices, etc. One way of getting the fruit you need in your diet. You can carry them in your pocket also. Because it takes a bit longer to chew the dried fruit, you will feel like you have really eaten. The act of chewing fools your body into thinking it is getting a meal instead of just a snack. And you can dice the slices of the dried fruit, and put it in your yogurt the night before. By morning, they will have softened from absorbing some of the liquid from the yogurt. Just dice the slices of dried fruit.

I realize that at the end of your work day, you are tired. But please, no more McD's drive-thru's. Not unless it is for a quick salad.

And just to let you know, I do read every "what did you have for breakfast, lunch, supper." I look for your entry and find myself getting dismayed at some of your entries. I can tell when you have had a hard work day just by what you grabbed to eat. Whatever was quick and easy. Something that required no cooking or thought. It was sitting there and you didn't have the time to get something nutritious. "So I will grab that muffin and eat something healthy and right later on." By getting more protein into you, you will find yourself getting off that plateau you seem to be on right now.

When you grab something that is not going to be of help in losing weight, tell yourself you are allergic to that food. And you are. It will go right to your thighs and hips. You are so allergic that it will change your body shape. Would you put something on your face that would make you break out in warts and pimples? Then don't put something in your face that will make your hips, thighs and stomach change inside and out.

I love you and am pulling for yor sucess everyday. And one for you.
I truely enjoy reading your letters addie. You seem to know my habits amazingly well. You make some very valid points. I love the idea of the dried fruits with nuts. I don't know why I never thought of that before, especially when I don't have time to stop for lunch & when I have to hurry up & get somewhere else. The allergy thing will help me change my thought process a bit. PF mentioned at one time to think of all the yummy, not so good foods for me, as being attatched to a syringe & that one still works for me too. Again, thank you very much for your concern & input it is much appreciated!

Today for breakfast we all went out to perkins for breakfast after mass. I had 1/2 eggs benedict with a few hash browns, probably not the healthiest choice but sundays are the day that just about anything goes, within reason.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #2943
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You might want to check out this link:

10 high-protein breakfast ideas that don't involve eggs | Well+Good NYC

Chia seeds will add protein. If you like soybeans (and they don't cause gas), you could possibly find a soybean to mix in with the nuts. Cut out the bread. I use a bed of steamed greens or a big slice of tomato as the "delivery device" for my poached eggs. If you can't find time to have breakfast, take some thinly sliced ham and make asparagus-ham-cheese rollups, smear the ham with a bit of mustard. You can do the same with roast beef or roast turkey/chicken. Take a couple of those for breakfast finger food. Bring a bag of chopped veggies (broccoli, carrots, celery, cauliflower, green peppers) and a little container of cottage cheese to which dill, s&P and garlic are added for dip. I can manage to eat something like that on the drive. Or, celery with almond/peanut butter, add the raisins for the old-fashioned ants on a log...
Thanks for the ideas!! Much appreciated. I love the idea of almond peanut butter, I will be looking for that one! Who would have thought....cottage cheese for a dip, I can definitely relate to that. Thanks so much for the support!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #2944
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Thanks for the ideas!! Much appreciated. I love the idea of almond peanut butter, I will be looking for that one! Who would have thought....cottage cheese for a dip, I can definitely relate to that. Thanks so much for the support!
You can do a quick blend with the immersion blend to make it a smoother texture. The benefit is that cottage cheese is a source of protein.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #2945
Executive Chef

I had bacon and eggs this morning, but just wanted to add that I love having cottage cheese on gluten free crackers in the car if I am running late for breakfast. Really yummy! Almost as good as cottage cheese and potato chips.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #2946
Master Chef

Just remember, folks, your body has a need for proteins, complex carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, phyto-nutrients, etc. You can't get that from eating only proteins. In addition, proteins, when metabolized, produce a host of by-products that must be eliminated from the body. High protein diets stress the kidneys. In diabetics, and people with less than perfect kidneys, this can create serious health risks.

One more thing about proteins, just as with carbs, too much is not good. The body requires a certain amount of protein to fix things that proteins fix, such as cell walls. But when you consume more protein than your body needs, it processes the excess into fat, and stores it, just like it does with excess fat and carbs.

Talk to professionals who study how the body works, at the cellular and molecular level, along with certified nutritionists. You will learn that too much protein is just as dangerous as is too much of anything you put into your body. Even too much water can land you in the emergency room, and I'm not talking about drowning.

Most, if not all of use here are foodies, not professional medical researchers. Let's not pretend we are.

For the most part, I am eating healthy meals, with whole grains, fresh fruits, fresh, or select frozen or canned veggies, legumes, meat, dairy, eggs, with selections from all food groups. my cholesterol is down, my energy is up, and I'm losing weight. i still make foods that aren't so good for me, then given them away, after a small taste.

I have a son who has taken the pre-med, undergrad courses in preperation for dental school. The things he has taught me about molecular biology, and discussions with my doctor and a few nutritionists, and some common sense, (that DW swears I am deficient in) has opened my eyes.

I'm probably sounding preachy here. If so, I apologize. I'm diabetic, mostly from bad eating habits, that I thought were good eating habits before I knew better. I have seen people I loved, die young (in their 50's) from poor eating habits, that thought they were eating healthy. All of you are my friends. I would love to see your lives improve, in both richness, and health, because you ate good foods that were well prepared, and that gave you all of the nutrients your bodies need, and in the proper amounts.

Were I perfect, I'd give you perfect diets, that would enhance your lives. But like you, I know some things, and am guessing at others. But I study, and ask questions, and research, and try to share what I learn with family, and friends.

So, go ahead and eat a piece of dark chocolate, or a piece of home-made whole grain bread. Spread a little berry jam, or fresh berries on top, Have some steamed carrots, with a little bit of butter and honey. Enjoy some pasta, with a rich tomato gravy. Eat some fried pork rinds.

Only make sure that you eat mostly healthy foods, brightly colored fruits and veggies, meats, grains, and dairy. Enjoy your life. And remember, the more you learn about nutrition, the better are your chances of avoiding so many chronic deseases, and enjoying a strong, and healthy body for life.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #2947
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think anyone is advocating a "protein only" diet but merely offering SB some other proteins that can be eaten instead of eggs and a way to get some chew factor in to tell the stomach food was delivered. My breakfast today: two poached eggs, 10 oz. of steamed spinach, 1/2 c brown rice with a dab of coconut oil on it. I'm still full and it is 12:30 (I ate at 6:30).
Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #2948
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, we noticed a lack of protein in her morning diet and were problem solving easy proteins that could be included easily.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #2949
Master Chef

OK.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #2950
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would love to eat refried beans everyday...Huevos rancheros for breakfast everyday, I think I'm going to try this...or Migas...
I love love love huevos rancheros Never heard of Migas, google here I come

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt