"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #2991
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Steel Cut Oats cook great in a rice cooker...1:2 oats and water.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #2992
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Steel Cut Oats cook great in a rice cooker...1:2 oats and water.
I make barley, brown rice, and steel cut oats in the rice cooker (separately). I set it up in the evening and then package the finished grains in portion-sized containers so I can either nuke them in the morning or stir-fry them.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #2993
Certified Pretend Chef

Bacon and waffles with apple topping made with cinnamon and brown sugar.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #2994
Chef Extraordinaire

2 poached eggs on a bed of steamed spinach with a side of 10-grain cereal, pepper, and a smidge of coconut oil.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #2995
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I love steel cut oats, just don't like the time it takes to prepare them. I should make 'em the night before, then heat in the microwave. But then, that would be intelligent. Me, I'm more like this -

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I've seen lots of instructions that have them soaking overnight and then simmering for an hour the next day. I've never understood this. It makes them completely soft. Might as well just make standard rolled oats at that point.

I heat a stainless steal pot, add a little olive oil and then the oats. Sometimes I cook them a little before adding the water because they get a nice toasted flavor but sometimes I add the water right away. I use the 2:1 water:oats ratio. Bring to a rolling boil, stir so it's not sticking to the bottom, cover and turn down to simmer. 10-20 minutes later (depending on how much I'm cooking) they're done. Just remove from the heat and stir. If I'm cooking 1/4 to 1/2 cup, it's 15 minutes start to finish if I add the water right away, slightly longer (+2-5 min) if I cook them a little before adding the water. They aren't as soft as the soak overnight and cook for an hour method but that's what I like about them. They come out creamy and lightly chewy, similar to rissoto made with brown rice. I've even used them cooked this way as a sub for rice. But the main point of this is that if you have 15 minutes you can make a single searving of these.

You can toss in ground flax seed before adding the water and add frozen blueberries after it's done (will cool it quickly to a good eating temp) to super boost the nutrient content. You can also toss in some chopped nuts for extra protein.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #2996
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Bacon and waffles with apple topping made with cinnamon and brown sugar.
That sounds yummy
Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #2997
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I've seen lots of instructions that have them soaking overnight and then simmering for an hour the next day. I've never understood this. It makes them completely soft. Might as well just make standard rolled oats at that point.

I heat a stainless steal pot, add a little olive oil and then the oats. Sometimes I cook them a little before adding the water because they get a nice toasted flavor but sometimes I add the water right away. I use the 2:1 water:oats ratio. Bring to a rolling boil, stir so it's not sticking to the bottom, cover and turn down to simmer. 10-20 minutes later (depending on how much I'm cooking) they're done. Just remove from the heat and stir. If I'm cooking 1/4 to 1/2 cup, it's 15 minutes start to finish if I add the water right away, slightly longer (+2-5 min) if I cook them a little before adding the water. They aren't as soft as the soak overnight and cook for an hour method but that's what I like about them. They come out creamy and lightly chewy, similar to rissoto made with brown rice. I've even used them cooked this way as a sub for rice. But the main point of this is that if you have 15 minutes you can make a single searving of these.

You can toss in ground flax seed before adding the water and add frozen blueberries after it's done (will cool it quickly to a good eating temp) to super boost the nutrient content. You can also toss in some chopped nuts for extra protein.
I used steel cut oats as a side in one of our - DiscussCooking Golden Chef competitions, a few years back. And I've made them many times for breakfast. But I recall them taking about 45 minutes, not 15. I'll try making them by your method. It can't hurt. And if they're still crunchy, I'll just cook them longer.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #2998
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post

That is a great idea! I will definitely try it your way, I have some steel cut oats at work. I will plan on bringing them home tomorrow & whip up a batch. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #2999
Executive Chef

I made omelettes this morning. Hubby had a cheese one, and I had a cheese and orange bell pepper one. We had bacon too. Sure did taste good.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #3000
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Tried the new Burger King egg, bacon and gouda on toasted english muffin. The muffin is has chive butter on it. It is surprisingly good. I also tried the new 25 cent iced carmel coffee and that was good also.
Had this for breakfast again with the addtion of an OJ. I can't get over how GOOD this sammie is! I am an egg snob. Most fast food and diner scrambled eggs are hard and over cooked brown (I HATE BROWN eggs!!). These eggs on this sammie are yellow, light and fluffy.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt