What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steel cut oats can be very convenient if you cook a big batch ahead of time. I'll make enough for 4-6 servings at a time, portion out into lidded storage containers, and refrigerate all but the one I'm having that day. All I have to do is nuke and top each day's serving after that. Easy-peasy!

Steel cut oats can be very convenient if you cook a big batch ahead of time. I'll make enough for 4-6 servings at a time, portion out into lidded storage containers, and refrigerate all but the one I'm having that day. All I have to do is nuke and top each day's serving after that. Easy-peasy!

Exactly, though I was dealing with another issue which is why we don't eat steel cut oats....the issue was, DH taking responsibility for his own breakfast because, what if, something happened to happy blissful cook? Would he starve? :LOL::LOL: Now that we know he CAN do it for himself, makes a pint jar of oats -5 of them or so a week, in advance, and enjoys it. Before we met, you don't want to know what he ate.

I make my oats much like you do Cooking Goddess, in a pan, 5 servings at a time or so. Pretty handy. Less dishes.

Steel cut oats can be very convenient if you cook a big batch ahead of time.
blissful said:
I make my oats much like you do Cooking Goddess, in a pan, 5 servings at a time or so.
So I don't mean to be argumentative but I just don't understand. It seems you're doing a whole bunch of extra work.
All I do is dump the ingredients in a steel mixing bowl atop a small pot of water, cover, and set the timer.

So I don't mean to be argumentative but I just don't understand. It seems you're doing a whole bunch of extra work.
All I do is dump the ingredients in a steel mixing bowl atop a small pot of water, cover, and set the timer.

Steel cut takes a long time unless you use a pressure cooker. I typically make mine the night before. Get it going, dump the oats, cook for a couple of minutes and then turn it off. I let it sit overnight. Reheat in the morning. It does require some planning but you use energy efficiently.

Steel cut takes a long time unless you use a pressure cooker. I typically make mine the night before. Get it going, dump the oats, cook for a couple of minutes and then turn it off. I let it sit overnight. Reheat in the morning. It does require some planning but you use energy efficiently.

I bet if y'all set yer mind to it, you could figure out a way to turn it into a week-long project. Maybe get your sous vides and bbq grills involved somehow while you're at it.

I set the timer for 30 minutes if the water is already simmering; 40 minutes when starting cold.

That's pretty much what I do, sl. The difference is when I heat water/dump oats/cook, I'm doing it once for 4 or 6 breakfasts. Ergo, I have no cooking for the next 3-5 days. Easier-peasier. ;)

Oh, and my fancy pot is an old school CI Dutch oven. FWIW.

Last edited:
Breakfast is my big meal of the day. Like TL, I eat when I am hungry. I usually don't eat after 3:00 p.m. unless I make walleye for the Elders' supper. I eat what I want, except I don't eat bread, pasta, sugar, processed foods. Breakfast usually includes poached eggs, black beans (or hummus), fruit, and some sort of greens. A very, very big plate of greens. Boring, I know, but that's what I eat.

Idaho Sunshine potato, w/ onion , cheese ,sausage....

39817-albums1064-picture8033.jpg
[/IMG]

Not my breakfast, but what I made for my Momma, was an oeuf molette on top of homemade pork sausage and a round of ww toast. I topped it with melted Colby cheese. She had peaches and applesauce. The egg was really pretty. She ate everything. The KN had a piece of toast with jam.

Waddle, waddle. Breakfast salad with 'deux oeufs mollete," kidney beans, radishes, green beans, tomato, celery, grated cheese, bleu cheese dressing, salsa. Frigging stuffed.

Took a notion couple years ago to stock some emergency food items. Didn't have a plan; just bought a few things on impulse. One was cheese powder which I used last night in mock Kraft Mac n Cheese. Wasn't the best macaroni I ever had but compared favorably with the stuff in the blue box.
At the same time, I bought some dried whole egg. It came in #10 can which was unopened until this morning. I think I made it right but Golly, that stuff is awful! The picture below doesn't look too appetizing but trust me, it looks way better than it tastes. I'll try it in cornbread or pancakes, maybe frying batter but if I don't find a way to use it that doesn't suck, will just throw it away. Life's too short to eat crap like that.
IMG_20190825_111704108.jpg
PowdEggBreakfastIngred.jpg

Back
Top Bottom