"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #3031
Head Chef

Dr. Oz yesterday afternoon had a guest who has written a book on our addiction to sugar, fat and salt. He feels it is deliberate on the part of many in the food 'industry' to fatten their profits with no thought to the consumer's well-being. He thinks potato chips are the worst -- I guess fried potatoes for breakfast fit the description, too, since their starch converts to sugars in our bodies.

I'm trying to wean myself off just cereal and milk for breakfast; have been having an egg instead, sometimes fried in whatever oil & fond that may be left in a frying pan from last night's chop or whatever. Still need to incorporate greens, like CWS -- who's setting a high bar for morning starters.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #3032
Executive Chef

I'm having two hard boiled eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, and tea this morning.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #3033
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Dr. Oz yesterday afternoon had a guest who has written a book on our addiction to sugar, fat and salt. He feels it is deliberate on the part of many in the food 'industry' to fatten their profits with no thought to the consumer's well-being. He thinks potato chips are the worst -- I guess fried potatoes for breakfast fit the description, too, since their starch converts to sugars in our bodies.

I'm trying to wean myself off just cereal and milk for breakfast; have been having an egg instead, sometimes fried in whatever oil & fond that may be left in a frying pan from last night's chop or whatever. Still need to incorporate greens, like CWS -- who's setting a high bar for morning starters.
That book is the one showcased on the PBS radio program I was listening to. The author makes a compelling case for his ideas.

Tin Lizzsie, you are doing yourself a favor, not eating the high fat, high carb breakfasts that we have been taught to eat since the advertising and big food business juggernautrs convinced us to eat what they produce.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #3034
Executive Chef

Pizza (about 12 ounces! per person or 75% of last night's portions).
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #3035
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I'm having two hard boiled eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, and tea this morning.
+1, chopper!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #3036
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post

It was a segment on Dr. Oz's show that twigged for me. The guest pointed out that NA eating habits were an upside-down pyramid and to change that by flipping the pyramid and eating veggies-protein-carbs in the morning and for lunch and to eat the smallest meal of the day in the evening. It works for me. I don't always get the carbs in, but I do eat protein and veggies for breakfast every day. And, I cut out bread and white sugar (I still splurge once in awhile, but don't keep bread in the house and don't use sugar).
Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #3037
Assistant Cook

Homemade Pancakes

I was in the mood to cook something for my roommate & I this weekend. I decided to make some pancakes from scratch.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #3038
Chef Extraordinaire

I am about to have some Weetbix bites, coconut rough
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #3039
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by eClickNickTV View Post
I was in the mood to cook something for my roommate & I this weekend. I decided to make some pancakes from scratch
How many burners do you have? American Chop Suey. Three ingredients. About one quarter pound of hamburg, some elbow pasta and a can of American tomatoes broken up. Saute the hamburg, season to taste, cook the elbows and add the tomatoes and hamburg to the elbows. Stir well and eat.

Instant Corn Chowder. A can of cream style corn, a can of sliced potatoes, some bacon slices and a can of evaporated milk. Saute the bacon and dice into small pieces, add the can of milk, with a half can of water, potatoes and the creamed corn. Stir and heat to just a simmer. Serve with Oysterettes crackers.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #3040
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by eClickNickTV View Post
I was in the mood to cook something for my roommate & I this weekend. I decided to make some pancakes from scratch
Those look so like the pancakes My Dad and my Grandpa used to make. I don't need to say anymore.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt