What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look what I found!

View attachment 41936

Portuguese Sausage!! My Mom kept telling me that someday I'd find it here on "The Mainland" if I just kept on looking.
Linguica

View attachment 41937

So I made up a big batch of Hawaiian-Style Fried Rice (which I understand that this is a "thing" here on The Mainland) and made us a gorgeous local-style breakfast :yum:

Strictly a personal opinion... I believe Silva's to be the very best linguisa.. :yum:

We always have a package in our freezer.. That said, freezing does take away some of the wonderful flavor.. :neutral:

Ross

Strictly a personal opinion... I believe Silva's to be the very best linguisa.. :yum:

We always have a package in our freezer.. That said, freezing does take away some of the wonderful flavor.. :neutral:

Ross

Ross, both DH and I think that Silva's Linguica is so very close to the stuff we get back home, and now that I have found it relatively close by, we'll be having much more often.

hawaiian-portuguese-sausage.jpg

I have two Hawaii Portuguese Sausages in the deep freeze from our last trip home... maybe we should do a side-by-side taste test!! :idea:

Never heard/seen Portuguese Sausage, at least, not that I've looked. Is it spicy, mild, inbetween, sweet?

Dragn, it's a smoked Sausage with a touch of vinegar. Not spicy at all, just a nice round flavor with paprika. The oil that is rendered off is a beautiful reddish-orange color, it is a bit on the fatty side, I blot the grease off before serving, and wipe out the pan when making it for Fried Rice.

Look what I found!

View attachment 41936

Portuguese Sausage!! My Mom kept telling me that someday I'd find it here on "The Mainland" if I just kept on looking.
Linguica

View attachment 41937

So I made up a big batch of Hawaiian-Style Fried Rice (which I understand that this is a "thing" here on The Mainland) and made us a gorgeous local-style breakfast :yum:

I forgot to add, that glass of juice? It's also from Hawaii, POG or Passion-Orange-Guava juice, YUM!!! Or should I say ONO!!!!!!!! :yum:

Ross, both DH and I think that Silva's Linguica is so very close to the stuff we get back home, and now that I have found it relatively close by, we'll be having much more often.

I have two Hawaii Portuguese Sausages in the deep freeze from our last trip home... maybe we should do a side-by-side taste test!! :idea:

I think that's a great idea.. I'd like to know your thoughts.. :)

Ross

I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for it. Sounds yummy. Don't have that many specialty shops but, hey! yuh never knows.

thanks

I would hope that you would enjoy linguisa as a breakfast side, diced in scrambled eggs, etc.. :yum:

A great addition to red sauces.. I love it in chili, pasta sauce, etc..

Legend has it that a lingusa, onion, mayo sandwich is a great hangover cure.. ;) :ermm::LOL:

Ross

I would hope that you would enjoy linguisa as a breakfast side, diced in scrambled eggs, etc.. :yum:

A great addition to red sauces.. I love it in chili, pasta sauce, etc..

Legend has it that a lingusa, onion, mayo sandwich is a great hangover cure.. ;) :ermm::LOL:

Ross

OMG! Linguica diced up in Chili?! YUM! That's how I make my Paniolo Chili, a rif off of a extremely, cult like following (I'm one of them ;)) Restaurant in Hawaii, Zippy's

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...2/01/paniolo-thats-hawaiian-for-cowboy-chili/

IMG_5308.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

Also, in Hawaii, they make a Musubi shaped Portuguese Sausage!
I did make Musubi with half of the package that I brought back last June, but I can't find the photos!

DSC01108.jpg

But here's Deluxe style Nigiri Sushi from our favorite shop in Honolulu

DSC01238.jpg

I also put diced and fired Portuguese Sausage in my Thanksgiving Stuffing

egg-on-stuffing.jpg

and the best part of having Thanksgiving is leftovers!
I poach an Egg and plop that atop some Stuffing, YUMMY!

OMG! Linguica diced up in Chili?! YUM! That's how I make my Paniolo Chili, a rif off of a extremely, cult like following (I'm one of them ;)) Restaurant in Hawaii,

I also put diced and fired Portuguese Sausage in my Thanksgiving Stuffing

View attachment 41963

and the best part of having Thanksgiving is leftovers!
I poach an Egg and plop that atop some Stuffing, YUMMY!

Forgot about adding to dressing.. :yum:

Also... I don't know if you do this, K-Girl.. When adding cooked linguisa to a liquid based dish, I also make certain the juices go into the dish.. To me, the flavor of that rendered fat is delicious..
Disclaimer: Don't use the linguisa fat 3 times a day.. :ermm:

Ross

Forgot about adding to dressing.. :yum:

Also... I don't know if you do this, K-Girl.. When adding cooked linguisa to a liquid based dish, I also make certain the juices go into the dish.. To me, the flavor of that rendered fat is delicious..
Disclaimer: Don't use the linguisa fat 3 times a day.. :ermm:

Ross

No Ross, I drain off the fat - too much for us.
It is a gorgeous color, for sure!

Hash & Eggs

No picture today but looked just like a dozen others I have posted.

Various forms of vegetable hash and eggs have become my go-to. Sometimes with eggs fried atop the hash; others scrambled into it. A little potato and a lot of other vegetables. Never photogenic but usually tastes good and always a big plateful. Today it was close to two pounds of food. This is my biggest meal of the day; 830 calories, 38g protein, 42g carbs, 54g fat. Fat is the only excessive nutrient IMO because I used andouille sausage. More but leaner meat would have been a little healthier.
Breakfast 2020-07-20 105024.jpg

Avocado mash on toasted bagel with freshly made pistachio dukkah.

Attachments

• 2020-07-22 11.34.11.jpg
    2020-07-22 11.34.11.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom