"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #3381
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Got your little pad of gold stars handy, CWS? This morning was steamed Swiss chard on brown rice, sauteed mushrooms and an egg on top. Had already had my small cup of coffee w/hazelnut creamer & sugar.

I agree with what you said on another thread about not craving the chips so much anymore. In fact, the same goes for sweets, and most everything seems to taste better -- more pronounced intensity of flavor. Not that I don't enjoy a dessert; I just don't have that serious craving.
I have PLATINUM stars for you!

Isn't it cool how the craving for the chips diminishes? My treat every now and again is air popped popcorn with my friend's homemade curry powder and some (very little) coconut oil. And, it took me a week to eat the four little Easter chocolates a friend dropped off. I still have cake leftover from Easter. I gave most of it away, but kept four slices (thin slices) for myself. I served one to a friend who dropped by for tea today and still have to either eat the other three, freeze them, or feed them to the chickens. I've added Snip's cayenne-lemon tea (also known as how to induce hot-flashes tea). I have so much energy today, I can't believe it. Usually by this time of day, I'm ready to call it a day. Not today. I'm still plugging away at a task that was very tedious last week (my brain was fried by 2:00 p.m. and I needed a nap). If you decide to try it, check with Snip re: how much cayenne to use (I sorta overdid it this morning and I had another cup around 2:00 p.m.--had to drive the DH to the airport--on the way home, I was ready to strip down to my unmentionables and drive home that way--warm!). But that was right around the time of day that the hormones that control one's metabolism would be kicking in. Most hormones that I know about work on a 12-hour schedule.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #3382
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Seriously, though, CWS. Do you know what is happening physiologically that accounts for the diminished cravings? I don't think it's just a matter of habit, rather something causes a phasing out of the fat, sugar, salt (mild) addiction, readjusting taste buds in the process.

In fact, any of you knowledgeable folks, chime in & enlighten me! TIA.
__________________

__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #3383
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It was her holiday break. And there are no calories in Mom's love.
I like how you & PF think!!


Back on track today with 2 slices of light wheat bread. 1 slice with pb & sf jelly & 1 slice with laughing cow cheese & sf jelly. A 1/2 beef stick & coffee/creamer.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #3384
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,739
this morning, my boy and i had devilled easter eggs (that seems wrong, no?), and thick slices of rye bread and butter. v-8 twist for him; extra pulp oj for me.

i like to chew my oj.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #3385
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
this morning, my boy and i had devilled easter eggs (that seems wrong, no?), and thick slices of rye bread and butter. v-8 twist for him; extra pulp oj for me.

i like to chew my oj.
I love chewy OJ too. Can't understand the pulp-free trend, what's the point?

Had the usual skim milk and Lo-Sod V-8.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #3386
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Seriously, though, CWS. Do you know what is happening physiologically that accounts for the diminished cravings? I don't think it's just a matter of habit, rather something causes a phasing out of the fat, sugar, salt (mild) addiction, readjusting taste buds in the process.

In fact, any of you knowledgeable folks, chime in & enlighten me! TIA.
If you are getting what you need at breakfast, you don't go "looking"(cravings) for something later on. The breakfasts you are eating are sticking with you longer, the whole grains take longer to digest, same as the egg.

I do have salt cravings, I know because I think chips would taste good, I think canned tomatoes with salt and pepper would be good, bacon, pepperoni...they all have salt in common. So my next snack, usually almond butter, I add some sea salt. I stop looking for something salty to eat.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #3387
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
I had some all bran
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #3388
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,265
I like to play with my oatmeal. We had dinner at a restaurant in coastal CT restaurant that had an interesting brunch menu. They offered a fruit and nut oatmeal that sounded...creative. I thought "I can do creative at home!"

I use old-fashioned oatmeal, not quick cook. My favorite combos are:
~dried cherries/unsweetened coconut flakes/toasted almond slivers, chopped
~dried cranberries/toasted walnuts/cinnamon/touch of brown sugar/lemon zest
~blueberries and toasted almond slices
~dried apricots and almonds
~toasted walnuts/diced apples/cinnamon

As a bonus, my cholesterol improved with all the oatmeal I've been eating!
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #3389
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have PLATINUM stars for you!

Isn't it cool how the craving for the chips diminishes? My treat every now and again is air popped popcorn with my friend's homemade curry powder and some (very little) coconut oil. And, it took me a week to eat the four little Easter chocolates a friend dropped off. I still have cake leftover from Easter. I gave most of it away, but kept four slices (thin slices) for myself. I served one to a friend who dropped by for tea today and still have to either eat the other three, freeze them, or feed them to the chickens. I've added Snip's cayenne-lemon tea (also known as how to induce hot-flashes tea). I have so much energy today, I can't believe it. Usually by this time of day, I'm ready to call it a day. Not today. I'm still plugging away at a task that was very tedious last week (my brain was fried by 2:00 p.m. and I needed a nap). If you decide to try it, check with Snip re: how much cayenne to use (I sorta overdid it this morning and I had another cup around 2:00 p.m.--had to drive the DH to the airport--on the way home, I was ready to strip down to my unmentionables and drive home that way--warm!). But that was right around the time of day that the hormones that control one's metabolism would be kicking in. Most hormones that I know about work on a 12-hour schedule.
You can start with 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp and work up to 1 tsp as you get used to it. I couldn't handle a full tsp in the beginning either.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #3390
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If you are getting what you need at breakfast, you don't go "looking"(cravings) for something later on. The breakfasts you are eating are sticking with you longer, the whole grains take longer to digest, same as the egg.

I do have salt cravings, I know because I think chips would taste good, I think canned tomatoes with salt and pepper would be good, bacon, pepperoni...they all have salt in common. So my next snack, usually almond butter, I add some sea salt. I stop looking for something salty to eat.
That's what I've found--if I have protein and grains in the morning, I don't have "junk food" cravings later (not keeping junk food in the house helps--no junk food to eat). It works for me. PF--have a glass of water with a shot of vinegar or lemon juice when you think that. It worked for me.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.