What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no I sure never have. Yuck.
It's one of the reasons I always crack an egg into a bowl before putting it in with the rest of the food in my recipe. I have a pretty strong stomach, but I would hate to waste all the ingredients a yucky egg would spoil, if I just cracked the egg into the bowl, skillet, whatever with the other ingredients. When I'm making an egg dish with several eggs, I would hate just having to waste the other eggs. I will say, egg producers or packers have gotten a lot better at candling the eggs so, I haven't seen anything like that in a very long time.

"Farm Fresh Eggs" always remind me of blood inside. My sister and I had to gather eggs and occasionally we would get one that was a "bloody mess." Unsettling. I remember a friend visiting and collecting them. When my grandmother went to cook the eggs, one was very bloody. Without missing a beat, my grandmother said, "Y'all like chicken and eggs, dontcha?" :ROFLMAO: I don't believe I ever saw that shade of green before. Later, my grandmother said, "I don't believe your friend wants to be here in November." (November was when we butchered for the winter.)

I used to sell my farm eggs. I always advised to use a bowl to crack eggs into.
And I explained why... grocery stores buy government controlled production eggs - which are always candled. I have never ever had a nasty egg from them.

So I would also carefully explain to my buyers (99% were friends) that I do NOT candle and you just never know what is inside. I never once in 15 years, had a complaint. I also used to belong to a chicken forum just like this food forum, oh man! the stories you would hear about things in eggs! LOL a real eye opener. LOL - but never once had any of those things happen to me.

Before I had my own, I used to get eggs from a local College (McDonald's in Ste Anne's, taxy) the manager of the egg/chicken department was a friend, they candled their eggs as they sold them to the public and also as a controlled teaching tool. Taught me a lot.

I'm glad I didn't read that about the bloody eggs until after yesterday when I used a whole carton of cage-free eggs.

So if anyone watched pioneer woman this week she made breakfast burritos again. What made me try them is she put jarred pimento in the eggs. I just happen to love jarred pimento in things and she made a little quiet comment that alluded to that was what was in McDonald's breakfast burritos. And I like those. They're always tender and they do have a red pepper in there and a little different taste and so that sort of made sense that it was pimento.

Anyway I made a bunch of burritos and froze them but I didn't put all that stuff on them like she did but just kept it to sausage, American cheese, egg, and pimento. She piled it high with stuff like hash browns and ruined it pouring maple syrup inside. Yuck.

And they did sort of come out tasting a little like McDonald's breakfast burrito except my burritos were way too fat. I had a lot of trouble rolling them up. And then that part about you just take them out of the freezer and pop them in the microwave isn't true because they're in foil. So you want to unstick them from the tin foil and put them on something else and then put them in the microwave and then if you want you can put them back on the tin foil.

I also bought jarred Taco Bell Hot Taco Sauce. I have jarred salsa at home but I'm never satisfied with it. So actually I did like that on there.

I will probably do it again sometime but I will only make enough for the day and I will make them much smaller and probably only use two eggs for two burritos. Making that many at once was a chore. And also when you heat that up in the microwave part of the flour tortilla gets hard but it wasn't all of it. But the pimento does give it a little certain flavor that I like. I use it in several things over the years white casseroles or macaroni salad and for a while Kroger had a Colby pimento cheese in the deli but they discontinued it. I love eating it just as a finger cheese.

I made creamy white cheddar cheese grits with smoked beef brisket and runny eggs.
20230921_123726.jpg

I had pancakes with an egg and bacon this morning.

@Texmex Wrap your cooled burritos individually in deli paper sheets. Then place them in an airtight container. When you want to eat them, toss them in the microwaves for 90 seconds for the first burrito and increment by 30 seconds for a second one flipping both half way. You do not need to unwrap them to put them in the microwave.

I had pancakes with an egg and bacon this morning.

@Texmex Wrap your cooled burritos individually in deli paper sheets. Then place them in an airtight container. When you want to eat them, toss them in the microwaves for 90 seconds for the first burrito and increment by 30 seconds for a second one flipping both half way. You do not need to unwrap them to put them in the microwave.
I was trying to think what kind of paper I can wrap them in. I'm not sure where to get deli paper here since I'm not in the restaurant business. Well I'm not going to make a huge batch of them again because it wore me out but yes it would be a lot more convenient to wrap them in paper and put in a container. Thanks

I was trying to think what kind of paper I can wrap them in. I'm not sure where to get deli paper here since I'm not in the restaurant business. Well I'm not going to make a huge batch of them again because it wore me out but yes it would be a lot more convenient to wrap them in paper and put in a container. Thanks
What about parchment paper?

I would use parchment paper. I should think wax paper would get soggy, no?

Texmex, parchment paper is available at the grocery store and even the dollar store. It will be with the foils and wax papers. Used for baking.

My breakfast was bacon, a very tired and dry looking shallot that unbelievably caramelized along side the bacon. Two large mushroom caps with bacon stuffed in the middle and a slice over the crown. All squished down with the griddler.
Added an egg to one of the mushrooms, put a lid over it - not a big success, so had to flip it. Tasted great though! Very satisfying with a mini naan also heated on the griddle.

Last edited:
I used to wrap my bacon in wax paper. But after sitting and trying to pick out the half melted/soggy/disintegrated pieces - switched to plastic.

I used to wrap my bacon in wax paper. But after sitting and trying to pick out the half melted/soggy/disintegrated pieces - switched to plastic.
It can get soggy when there is a lot of moisture, which there often is with store bought bacon. That's another reason to unwrap frozen foods with a lot of moisture before thawing them.

What about parchment paper?
I might have to get on Amazon and see what I can find. I don't want to have to cut sheets. I have a big roll of just brown paper that I used to cover the counter whenever I make noodles and then I have some parchment but they're kind of too big of a sheet so I'm looking to see if I can find any good sized some kind of sheets and then maybe I might make this again. I really did enjoy the one I thought out and heated last night.

I might have to get on Amazon and see what I can find. I don't want to have to cut sheets. I have a big roll of just brown paper that I used to cover the counter whenever I make noodles and then I have some parchment but they're kind of too big of a sheet so I'm looking to see if I can find any good sized some kind of sheets and then maybe I might make this again. I really did enjoy the one I thought out and heated last night.
I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to use the stuff you have and cut it to size.

Back
Top Bottom