"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #3391
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
this morning, my boy and i had devilled easter eggs (that seems wrong, no?), and thick slices of rye bread and butter. v-8 twist for him; extra pulp oj for me.

i like to chew my oj.
I'm thinking today's breakfast will be two curried pickled eggs made into egg salad (using tofonnaise--could I get any healthier?) on a fresh pita with leaf lettuce and watercress, a glass of beet-carrot-pineapple juice (I'll probably be able to chew that, too).

I had so many eggs (there was an old woman who lived in a shoe, she had so many chickens who layed eggs, she didn't know what to do) that I pickled a bunch (4 dozen) and tried three different recipes. I like the curried eggs. The beet and traditional are so-so. I think the curried ones will be great in egg salad.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #3392
Chef Extraordinaire

Changed my mind--

Today's breakfast was inspired by:

Best Recipes Ever - Glazed Salmon Bundles With Sesame Bok Choy

I took 2 rice wrappers, soaked them, put carrot, watercress, wild rice, a slice of Canadian bacon, followed the instructions for cooking (brushed with a bit of soy sauce). In the meantime, I scrambled 2 eggs and made my juice, didn't use all the beet, so grated the rest of the beet and put that on the plate with a bit of ground pepper on top. Served the "packets" on a bed of lettuce, topped the eggs with srirarchi (the new ketchup). Oh, and started the morning off with a cup of Snip's cayenne-lemon tea. Batteries died, but I think I got one or two pics.

And the "packets" were frigging good.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #3393
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Changed my mind--

I took 2 rice wrappers, soaked them, put carrot, watercress, wild rice, a slice of Canadian bacon, followed the instructions for cooking (brushed with a bit of soy sauce). In the meantime, I scrambled 2 eggs and made my juice, didn't use all the beet, so grated the rest of the beet and put that on the plate with a bit of ground pepper on top. Served the "packets" on a bed of lettuce, topped the eggs with srirarchi (the new ketchup). Oh, and started the morning off with a cup of Snip's cayenne-lemon tea. Batteries died, but I think I got one or two pics.

That sounds bloody good! I love fresh spring rolls
Last time I bought some "rice wrappers" I bought regular rice paper sheets by mistake
The kids are eating it now. Haven't got a clue what to do with them!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #3394
Master Chef

I had some biltong sticks, an avocado and some spiced brown rice. Had a cup of cayenne tea too :)

Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #3395
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
That's what I've found--if I have protein and grains in the morning, I don't have "junk food" cravings later (not keeping junk food in the house helps--no junk food to eat). It works for me. PF--have a glass of water with a shot of vinegar or lemon juice when you think that. It worked for me.
Since I am not using salt at all, I know when I need some. I do have an apple cider vinegar beverage daily.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #3396
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
That sounds bloody good! I love fresh spring rolls
Last time I bought some "rice wrappers" I bought regular rice paper sheets by mistake
The kids are eating it now. Haven't got a clue what to do with them!
Are they the white ones that are hard? If so, those are the ones that you put in warm water for 30 seconds to soften and then wrap stuff in. That's what I used this morning. Do one at a time--otherwise they get too soft and tear.

Like these?

Spring roll wrappers (rice paper)- Erawan brand, 16 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #3397
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Since I am not using salt at all, I know when I need some. I do have an apple cider vinegar beverage daily.
Just be careful with vinegar and lemon! I speak from experience. I over did the lemon and vinegar for a while and it removed some of the enamel off my teeth

The dentist said I must drink all my cold acidic drinks through a straw to prevent direct contact with my teeth and to eat a small piece of cheese or a bit of natural plain yogurt before bed to neutralize acid.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #3398
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Just be careful with vinegar and lemon! I speak from experience. I over did the lemon and vinegar for a while and it removed some of the enamel off my teeth

The dentist said I must drink all my cold acidic drinks through a straw to prevent direct contact with my teeth and to eat a small piece of cheese or a bit of natural plain yogurt before bed to neutralize acid.
I keep my teeth in a glass when I'm not using them... I like my vinegar drink, not giving it up for anything.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #3399
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I keep my teeth in a glass when I'm not using them... I like my vinegar drink, not giving it up for anything.

I would never give up my lemon or vinegar either! That's why my dentist told me to use a straw unless I want my teeth in a glass

Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #3400
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Changed my mind--

Here's a pic (that's diced steamed eggplant on top of the 'packets'):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast rolls 004.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	17604  

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt