What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was so much drama and aggression going on in our home, none of us kids was a picky eater. Eat and run!

My breakfast, my favorite lately. Fermented rolled 8 grains w/blueberries and carrot slaw.
carrotslawgrains-002.jpg

Microwave 2-4 minutes, top with ground flax/chia seeds and cinnamon. YUM.
carrotslawgrains-006.jpg
That looks healthy enough. I had some Honey-Nut Cheerios and Grape Nuts with bananas and strawberries with almond milk. There was more fruit than there was cereal. Not quite as healthy as yours, but I am trying! I resisted the temptation of having potatoes, steak, and eggs, so...

That looks healthy enough. I had some Honey-Nut Cheerios and Grape Nuts with bananas and strawberries with almond milk. There was more fruit than there was cereal. Not quite as healthy as yours, but I am trying! I resisted the temptation of having potatoes, steak, and eggs, so...
I had a repeat of that today. There is a lot more fruit in my bowl than there is cereal, and I hate using a lot of almond milk because the cereal gets mushy too fast. If I can do that 4x a week I am doing much better than leftover pizza! The weird thing is, when I eat that, I am ravenously hungry 4 hours later. The pizza or some other leftover fatty food would tide me over for 6 hours. That's not what I expected.

I had a repeat of that today. There is a lot more fruit in my bowl than there is cereal, and I hate using a lot of almond milk because the cereal gets mushy too fast. If I can do that 4x a week I am doing much better than leftover pizza! The weird thing is, when I eat that, I am ravenously hungry 4 hours later. The pizza or some other leftover fatty food would tide me over for 6 hours. That's not what I expected.
It's healthy that you feel hungry at lunch. A lot of people eat by the clock and not by hunger.
You could add another 1/2 cup of cereal to your bowl and pay attention to when you get hungry after that, to see how that matches up with your lunch?

It's healthy that you feel hungry at lunch. A lot of people eat by the clock and not by hunger.
You could add another 1/2 cup of cereal to your bowl and pay attention to when you get hungry after that, to see how that matches up with your lunch?
I've never been a clockish person!

Breakfast was a corn muffin with butter and strawberry jam.

We had that often when I was a kid. Almost everything my mom baked was from a box, so it was always Jiffy Corn Muffins. That's fine, it's pretty good stuff. No butter... only margarine is allowed in mom's kitchen, and now in my sister's, too.

CD

We had that often when I was a kid. Almost everything my mom baked was from a box, so it was always Jiffy Corn Muffins. That's fine, it's pretty good stuff. No butter... only margarine is allowed in mom's kitchen, and now in my sister's, too.

CD
I used to use Jiffy cornbread mix too. It's pretty good for a mix.

It's weird, I like corn bread and make it maybe once every 5 or 6 years. But I don't understand the US fascination for it. Even though people who have had my cornbread absolutely love it - I find it makes me gag a bit and it is NOT dry.

It's weird, I like corn bread and make it maybe once every 5 or 6 years. But I don't understand the US fascination for it. Even though people who have had my cornbread absolutely love it - I find it makes me gag a bit and it is NOT dry.

Eating cornbread requires some additions. At the very least, you need a lot of butter. Jelly/Jam helps a lot (I too love it with Strawberry preserves/jam).

It is also good with some Texas-style chili served on top. :yum:

CD

This morning it was a double coupon Jimmy Dean sausage gravy with biscuit bowl.

I added a cup of leftover mixed vegetables and an applesauce snack cup.

🐷🐷🐷

It's more of a southern US thing I think. I prefer a sweet cornbread personally. Since I moved to the Midwest I eat it less. It's not on menus up here as much as it is in the south, and I know very few people who make it at home. What I really miss are hushpuppies.

You like it but it makes you gag lol? I don't like anything that makes me gag!

I like the looks, I like the smell, but the anticipation is ruined when I can't swallow! Although funnily enough there were never any leftovers.

It's Half and Half, half cream and half milk. You can buy it here in the US. I use it a lot because I don't use a lot of milk and I can get the Half'n'Half in a small pint.

I had scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon this morning with two toasted English muffins with cream cheese on them.

It's Half and Half, half cream and half milk. You can buy it here in the US. I use it a lot because I don't use a lot of milk and I can get the Half'n'Half in a small pint.

I had scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon this morning with two toasted English muffins with cream cheese on them.
I buy quarts of half n half because it lasts a long time.

Milk fats - Wikipedia This is a good read for the different milk fats in milk.
United Kingdom has an interesting milk called 'Channel Island Milk' or breakfast milk at 5%.
Here (Canada) the breakdown is roughly as follows:
Whole milk is at 3.25%
then comes the - 2% - 1% - 0%
Half n Half (arf'n arf) is 10.5% to 18%
Table Cream is 18% to 30%
Whipping Cream is 35%

I also thought there was something in the 40%+? but don't really see that "heavy cream" anymore. I know Jersey cows are great for that extra creaminess.

Mom used to get the 10% as Coffee Cream but now-a-days 'Coffee Cream' is a processed milk food with oils and other ingredients (not even sure if there is any milk it it!)

Forgot and just found Buttermilk is anywhere between 6% and 20%.

Buttermilk down here is a cultured milk product, which is from 1 to 2% fat - definitely not much butter! I always make it with 2% milk. Same cultures in 40% cream makes a good crema, or crème fraîche.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom