"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #3631
Executive Chef

Rick Bayless is right, tamales do taste better the next day, even for breakfast.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #3632
Chef Extraordinaire

Continental toast

Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #3633
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When you get out of bed stand on a cold floor in your bare feet. The cramp will dissipate faster. One of those Old Wives's Tales that really work.....
The bedrooms are upstairs and the floors are all carpeted. The closest bare floor is down the steps (carpeted), through the living room and into the kitchen. If I could even WALK that far with the cramp it would be gone by the time I got to the bare floor!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 AM   #3634
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The bedrooms are upstairs and the floors are all carpeted. The closest bare floor is down the steps (carpeted), through the living room and into the kitchen. If I could even WALK that far with the cramp it would be gone by the time I got to the bare floor!
What about the bathroom? Is that close by?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #3635
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I make to-diet-for orange-chocolate chips scones. Melt-in-your-mouth goodness.

Found this little hole in the wall cafe when the progeny and I were taking the boy off to college at ASU in 1999. Stopped in Tucumcari at Lena's Cafe on the advise of the "host" at the NM visitors' center. Didn't look like the kind of place you'd go into unless you were told the food was good. Oh, was it good!

Himself and I went to the relocated version over on Rte 66 in the mid-2000s and it was still good but didn't have the same dive-y ambiance.
I love dives. They concentrate on good food and to heck with the appearance. And that is what gives it that ambiance. We have a diner across from South Station in Boston. If your immune system is lousy, don't go there. But if you want homemade food, then that is the place. They even have big lumps in their mashed potatoes. Meatloaf, plenty of gravy and lumply mashed potatoes. My favorite meal there. Even the decor is right out of the 50's. At lunch time they had a line waiting. Right across the street was the food court at South Station train lobby. But if you are willing you can share your booth with a total stranger. I did that many a lunchtime. The waitresses were young girls that looked like they just came off from the commune. Hightop sneakers with striped leggings. Ponytails sticking out from all over their heads.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #3636
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What about the bathroom? Is that close by?
I have so many throw rugs on the floor in there almost none of the floor is exposed. I suppose I could pick between going downstairs to walk the kitchen floor or bend down to move a rug or two around. Either sounds like a lot of work. The cramps ease up quick enough just stretching the foot on the floor right out of the bed so I guess I'll just run in place.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #3637
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have so many throw rugs on the floor in there almost none of the floor is exposed. I suppose I could pick between going downstairs to walk the kitchen floor or bend down to move a rug or two around. Either sounds like a lot of work. The cramps ease up quick enough just stretching the foot on the floor right out of the bed so I guess I'll just run in place.
I have two small ones in my bathroom. One beside the tub to step on when I get out of the shower and one in front of the vanity. I need that bare floor for those dang cramps. I two have carpeting in my big room. But the bathroom is close enough so three steps get me there in a hurry when needed.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #3638
Chef Extraordinaire

Kylie, I was watching St Vincent's ER in Sydney tonight and am learning a whole new language. Such as 'rushing patient to theater.' Here it would be we sent the patient up to the OR. (operating room) I have also been watching a special on the beginnings of earth. It all started in Australia. I am absolutely fascinated with the series. We only have fossils in this country. But in this special, they are finding actual bones, not fossils, that have been buried for more than several billion years. I also found out that the Australian Opal are petrified dinosaur bones. They showed pieces of opal in the shape of the spine bones and ribs. The narrator of the series is also giving me lessons in the Aussie language.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #3639
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Continental toast
What is Contintal Toast?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #3640
Chef Extraordinaire

Ads....you know more about Australia than I do

Yes we always call it the operating theatre here, but I new of ER from one of my fave shows Greys Anatomy

That is very interesting indeed about the Opal, I had no idea they were petrified dinosaur bones

Thank you for filling me in on this info!

Gotta love the Aussie language

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt