What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was making cheesy, scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes at 4:30 am. for Mark. It's not very often I make breakfast during the week. Usually, it's been on the weekend.

I had this for Sunday Brunch two days ago, and a mini version this morning:

Eggs Barbacoa​

Ingredients:
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 6 tablespoons bottled low-sodium salsa (such as Green Mountain Gringo), divided
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • 4 large eggs
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup*hot Beef Barbacoa
  • ½ cup (2 ounces) queso fresco, crumbled
  • ¼ cup finely chopped green onions
  • ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 lime wedges
Instructions:

Place beans in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine beans, 2 tablespoons salsa, and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over low heat until warm, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place 1 tortilla in pan, and cook for 30 seconds on each side or until toasted. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas.

Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Break 1 egg into each of 4 (6-ounce) custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place custard cups in simmering water in pan. Cover pan; cook 8 minutes. Remove custard cups from water. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over eggs.

Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates, and top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons bean mixture. Top beans with 2 tablespoons Beef Barbacoa. Place 1 poached egg on each plate so it overlaps both tortillas. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon remaining salsa. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon green onions, and 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

This was accompanied by a mixed fruit salad, Mexican rice, and pear bellinis

breakfast has been oatmeal most every morning this month. it takes about 25 minutes to cook, giving my appetite time to freak. my brown sugar has turned to stone, so while i figure out how to soften this box of rocks, i'm having my oatmeal with sizzling deeply browned butter and a sprinkling of kosher salt. sometimes, for the last few minutes of cooking, i add a little farina to the oatmeal pot. that's good too--real substantial breakfast fare....:)

Yesterday it was cabbage rolls for breakfast. Today was one egg on a serving of kale and one egg on a serving of turkey chili mole. I keep hearing to have protein + veggies or fruit for breakfast, some carbs, and calcium. No problem getting the protein or veggies/fruit, the carbs are somewhat of an issue for me...I don't really care for carbs...

breakfast has been oatmeal most every morning this month. it takes about 25 minutes to cook, giving my appetite time to freak. my brown sugar has turned to stone, so while i figure out how to soften this box of rocks, i'm having my oatmeal with sizzling deeply browned butter and a sprinkling of kosher salt. sometimes, for the last few minutes of cooking, i add a little farina to the oatmeal pot. that's good too--real substantial breakfast fare....:)

I just grab the chunk of brown sugar and grate it onto my cereal. I only worry about making it soft if I need to mix it into something like a batter.

Sunday (13 Nov) Brunch - Mixed berry salad, eggs, bacon, sweet potato hash, strawberry mango crepes with dulche de leche and whipped cream, peach belinis and coffee

I had this for Sunday Brunch two days ago, and a mini version this morning:

Eggs Barbacoa

Ingredients:
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 6 tablespoons bottled low-sodium salsa (such as Green Mountain Gringo), divided
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • 4 large eggs
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup*hot Beef Barbacoa
  • ½ cup (2 ounces) queso fresco, crumbled
  • ¼ cup finely chopped green onions
  • ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 lime wedges
Instructions:

Place beans in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine beans, 2 tablespoons salsa, and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over low heat until warm, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place 1 tortilla in pan, and cook for 30 seconds on each side or until toasted. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas.

Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Break 1 egg into each of 4 (6-ounce) custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place custard cups in simmering water in pan. Cover pan; cook 8 minutes. Remove custard cups from water. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over eggs.

Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates, and top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons bean mixture. Top beans with 2 tablespoons Beef Barbacoa. Place 1 poached egg on each plate so it overlaps both tortillas. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon remaining salsa. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon green onions, and 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

This was accompanied by a mixed fruit salad, Mexican rice, and pear bellinis

Sorry, Sir Loin, but I need to ask what barbacoa is. Reading this before breakfast has created a drool event. :ohmy:

Breakfast this morning was a real treat. I cut out the neck stuffing chunk from yesterday's turkey, peeled off the skin, sliced it and put it on a bed of the wonderful giblet gravy and nuked it. I felt so special that I got to eat the whole chunk.:pig:

I don't think I'll use the bacon fat to cook up the onions and celery again. It was really, really good, but didn't have that traditional taste I was looking forward to.

Place a slice of fresh bread in with the rock of brown sugar and it will soften up in a matter of an hour or so.

I have the same breakfast every morning. A handful of pills. Oh joy!!! Would anyone care to come for breakfast at my house?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom