What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brunch was a poached egg, buttered English muffin, grapes, baby arugula, and cabbage salad.

poached_egg_032324_1_IMG_2482.jpg

While in England (70's) my SIL had at almost every meal an appetizer of 1/2 an Avocado with Shrimp and Crosse and Blackwell Salad Dressing.
The start to my death love of Avocadoes.

While in England (70's) my SIL had at almost every meal an appetizer of 1/2 an Avocado with Shrimp and Crosse and Blackwell Salad Dressing.
The start to my death love of Avocadoes.

On my first trip to England in 1978, I did not see anything like avocado there, but it wouldn't have mattered, since I don't like avocado. British food back then was pretty bland and greasy. The only thing I had that I liked was fish and chips and cottage pie.

CD

That is soo sad casey. Truly sorry to hear that.
All our meals were wonderful! I will admit that we did not stay, nor eat, at the top quality hotels or restaurants (on a budget). Never the less, breakfasts were right up our alley, afternoon teas were an eye opener. Supper/dinners - well, we had many meals at friends of the family's homes but even then, when we ate out - many times in a pub (for tourists) - it was great! Never bland and certainly not greasy!

I've never understood the reputation that people give the British Isles for their food. Is it a carry over and stem from the war years of rationing? Trying to make everything stretch?

and funny thing, I never had Fish and Chips there (we had a Brit open a Fish 'n Chip Shoppe right in Lachine, Mtl. Canada) nor Cottage Pie. I made that at home so wasn't something I would order. LOL

That is soo sad casey. Truly sorry to hear that.
All our meals were wonderful! I will admit that we did not stay, nor eat, at the top quality hotels or restaurants (on a budget). Never the less, breakfasts were right up our alley, afternoon teas were an eye opener. Supper/dinners - well, we had many meals at friends of the family's homes but even then, when we ate out - many times in a pub (for tourists) - it was great! Never bland and certainly not greasy!

I've never understood the reputation that people give the British Isles for their food. Is it a carry over and stem from the war years of rationing? Trying to make everything stretch?

British food has gotten better over the years.

The cottage pie I had was at a pub, and it was quite good. The fish and chips was from a hole-in-the-wall chip shop, and was very good. Much better than the soggy mess I got from Gordon Ramsey's pub in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. That was the worst F&C I've ever had.

CD

Well, I have not been back since the mid-70's, so couldn't say.
I did read an article not so long ago about how the iconic Fish and Chip shoppes all over England are fast disappearing. Super, super sad!

Sunday brunch, 25 Mar 23: There is rice in the rice cooker, I have a lb burger thawed, half a pound of elbow macaroni, some diced tropical fruit, pineapple juice and a 187ml bottle of California champagne, all of which will magically turn into a fan-frickin'-tastic loco moco brunch with sides of Hawaiian macaroni salad and tropical fruit salad, and a pineapple mimosa..

Last edited:
On the way home from being a kids taxi, stopped and picked up a slab of ham (for quiche), some hard cheeses, and could not resists a slab of pizza just out of the oven.
Home by 9:15, pizza gone by 9:28.

Edit: So I guess (after reading about all the pizza's in one of the Sunday dinner threads) I think I will name this the "Sweet Paradise Bakery's Waterdown Pizza".

Last edited:
You know those big wheels you sometimes see on the side of a building? It turns with the water rushing by and catching the paddles to make the wheel turn. As the wheel turns it, in turn, turns the large round stone around another large stone and on those stone is some grain. That grain, as it turns, is turned into a beautiful powder. This powder they take and turn it into a beautiful dough. That dough, in turn, becomes the crust for holding their pizza ingredients, and in their turn they call it a pizza. Very tasty. In all fairness, it could be called 'turned pizza' but they decided to go with the original energy used to create that piece of yummy goodness, with which, of course, as my turn to name is the final one, they went with my name of Waterdown Pizza.

Does that answer your question? I've had my turn, now...

...it's your turn.

Just FYI, a Jewish friend told me that challah means bread, so challah bread is redundant.

Signed,
Your friendly DC pedant 😉
Didn't know that Thanks! That's like people saying "I used the ATM machine."
which is really saying "I used the Automatic Teller Machine machine."

LOL I always have a tiny pause when I say ATM, trying not to say machine.
Himself and I just mentioned that yesterday.
Steak fajita is steak steak... I've just gotten used to it. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

CD

My all time favorite is still "jumbo shrimp". 😆

Back
Top Bottom