"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #4261
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I wish I had just half of your appetite!
I didn't have rice--the Cavena Nuda is also called rice of the prairies but I have been referring to it as Cavena Nuda. I don't usually eat much the rest of the day.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #4262
Executive Chef

Quote:
I wish I had just half of your appetite!

Oh, then you would really love my appetite!! LOL

Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #4263
Executive Chef

Quote:
You know what I am going to say. Where is the protein?

There are 5 gm protein in 1 cup of Raisin Bran and 8 gm of protein in 1 cup of milk to put on the cereal. I didn't know that before, but I googled it after you asked your question. Not a lot of protein, but more than I expected.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #4264
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
There are 5 gm protein in 1 cup of Raisin Bran and 8 gm of protein in 1 cup of milk to put on the cereal. I didn't know that before, but I googled it after you asked your question. Not a lot of protein, but more than I expected.
One egg has only slightly more protein than that. However, Raisin Bran has 18-19 mg of sugar. The AHA recommends woman consume no more than 20 mg of sugar/day. So that one serving of raisin bran contains the recommended amount of sugar for the whole DAY. An egg contains no sugar so one would be farther ahead having two eggs for breakfast (or one egg and a glass of milk) instead of raisin bran.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #4265
Head Chef

I had half of a very sweet cantaloupe.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #4266
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
One egg has only slightly more protein than that. However, Raisin Bran has 18-19 mg of sugar. The AHA recommends woman consume no more than 20 mg of sugar/day. So that one serving of raisin bran contains the recommended amount of sugar for the whole DAY. An egg contains no sugar so one would be farther ahead having two eggs for breakfast (or one egg and a glass of milk) instead of raisin bran.

I am definately an egg eater for breakfast, and also at other times of the day, but there are some people who don't like eggs or avoid them because of cholesterol. In that case, I think Raisin Bran with milk is a relatively good choice and much better than some other things I see people eating, like doughnuts! The eggs and milk would not provide any fiber and I think the fiber in the bran cereal is a big factor, but I do understand your point about the sugar.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #4267
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't have any donuts, so had to go with the eggs
Breakfast was quick, as I already had the diced potatoes, onions and pepper from the other night's ripper toppings, so all I had to do was add a couple pieces of bacon, warm the veggies up once the bacon got going and add a couple eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	18605  
Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #4268
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

She uses coffee creamer. Not enough protein to give her the energy she needs through the day, and certainly not enough to keep her from picking, picking, and never feeling full and satisfied. She knows she needs protein with every meal. Even she has noticed the difference it makes in her day.
I meant milk on the cereal.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #4269
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I meant milk on the cereal.
I was responding to her post of just a muffin and coffee for breakfast. We have been through her need for protein in each meal. I want her to succeed and lose the weight. She has been doing so good. Her setback came with her surgery. It caused her, due to her doctor's instructions, to get off track. With vacations, family reunions, and other events, she has been struggling to get back on track and stay there. Presently SimonBaker seems to be on a plateau. The hardest part of any diet. I am hoping that her numbers take a big dip real soon to help her get back on track. Nothing like the loss of five pounds or even more between weigh-ins to get back your resolve.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #4270
Assistant Cook

Smile

Today I had a very large Ranchero Omelette. It was so good and I am sooo full. I wish I had taken a picture to share. Maybe next time. My daughter had formula and cereal. I can't wait until she can eat solids. I feel bad sometimes when I eat really good food and she has to drink formula. (Which I once tasted out of curiosity) Idk how babies drink that. It must be good to them, I guess.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt