"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #4471
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I see the word butter and my cholesterol goes up...oops!!!
Yeah--- that's weird isn't it? My body seems to love things with cholesterol in it!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #4472
Executive Chef

Ever since I bought my Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich maker that is pretty much what I have been having for breakfast every moprning, although I also bought a Krups Belgian waffle maker so I make those on weekends or special occasions.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #4473
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Busy day today, so I had a huge breakfast. I wasn't sure whether I would be fueled for the day or in a food coma. So far so good!
That breakfast looks delicious, Cheryl. I love eggs with lots of veggies mixed in. To me, that's not a big breakfast. A big breakfast would also have sausage or bacon and a side of cheesy hashbrowns along with it. Yours looks just right!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #4474
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Ever since I bought my Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich maker that is pretty much what I have been having for breakfast every moprning, although I also bought a Krups Belgian waffle maker so I make those on weekends or special occasions.

I have seen these and read the directions and reviews online and they were mostly favorable. What type of meat do you use? I prefer canadian bacon, which is precooked, and you can also buy pre-cooked sausage patties and bacon. I would omit the cheese. The only problem I have with buying one is I would love these sandwiches so much I would definately over-eat!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #4475
Executive Chef

I buy Johnsonville sausage patties, put them between two sheets of waxed paper and run over them with my rolling pin to make them closer to the size of an English muffin, then I bake them all in the oven on a rack to keep shrinkage to a minimum. I have also been known to use 2 pre-cooked bacon slices. I put half the muffin, the cheese, the meat, close the first ring, add the egg and the other half of the muffin, and close the whole thing. 4 minutes later I have the perfect Egg McMuffin without the drive-thru hassle. I really should calculate the cost vs McDonalds too.

Okay, one store brand English muffin - 20 cents. One egg about 22 cents. one slice of real cheese (as opposed to American singles) - 37 cents. Sausage patty - 62 cents. Total cost = $1.41

McDonalds sausage and egg McMuffin = $2.79 and it's made with sliced American cheese food, which is neither cheese nor food!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #4476
Executive Chef

I've been doing my favorite lately -- toasted bagel, mayonnaise, a layer of bacon, a fried egg, tons of sliced tomatoes and lettuce topping it off. BLT + egg on a bagel.

Alas I am getting negative feedback from my watchers (people with healthcare degrees) who think it should be fruit, cereal and milk. I think I'll accede to their requests tomorrow. I can dream of bacon tonight....
Old 02-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #4477
Assistant Cook

I either do eggs with toast or oatmeal with fruit and a pot of coffee. If I'm especially awake, I'll add a splash of milk and some cheese and do scrambled eggs instead of just frying or hard boiling them. I'm not usually in the mood at 6am to get fancy with breakfast. I will do french toast, parfaits, fresh muffins or pancakes on the weekends though.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #4478
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I've been doing my favorite lately -- toasted bagel, mayonnaise, a layer of bacon, a fried egg, tons of sliced tomatoes and lettuce topping it off. BLT + egg on a bagel.

Alas I am getting negative feedback from my watchers (people with healthcare degrees) who think it should be fruit, cereal and milk. I think I'll accede to their requests tomorrow. I can dream of bacon tonight....
Eat what you enjoy. Who is to say cereal should always be the morning meal? There are some ethnic groups who eat fish for breakfast. Some who eat reindeer. Who is to say they are wrong? Don't be so easily swayed by others and what they say and eat. Be true to thy own self.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #4479
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Eat what you enjoy. Who is to say cereal should always be the morning meal? There are some ethnic groups who eat fish for breakfast. Some who eat reindeer. Who is to say they are wrong? Don't be so easily swayed by others and what they say and eat. Be true to thy own self.
There are doctors who are campaigning to be able to "fire" their patients who do not follow Dr's Orders when it comes to diet, booze, smoking...and the next doctor can refuse to take you as a patient if you drink(heavily) or smoke.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #4480
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
There are doctors who are campaigning to be able to "fire" their patients who do not follow Dr's Orders when it comes to diet, booze, smoking...and the next doctor can refuse to take you as a patient if you drink(heavily) or smoke.

Is that TRUE????? Can that be legal? Can you point me to valid sources that speak to that? I'd appreciate it.

Devil's Advocate asks---- wouldn't that just lead to patients lying to their doctors?----- which should NEVER be done.

Devil's Advocate asks---- would said doctors be able to hack into their patients credit card accounts to see what they''re spending money on? Cigarettes? Jim Beam? Twinkies? Would they need a warrant to do that?

You can see where I'm going with that.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt