"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #4651
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I miss grapefruit juice...

Me too! Maybe part of missing it is that I can't have it.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #4652
Head Chef

There are many medications that are affected by grapefruit. Warfarin and most commonly rx'd statins are just two of them.

"Drugs that interact with grapefruit are taken by mouth. The degree of the grapefruit effect can vary. With some drugs, just one serving of grapefruit can make it seem like a person is taking multiple doses of the drug.

This interaction can occur even if grapefruit is eaten many hours before taking the medication. For example, simvastatin, when taken with about a 7-ounce glass of grapefruit juice once a day for three days, produced a 330% greater concentration of the drug compared to taking it with water. This can cause life-threatening muscle damage called rhabdomyolysis."

But adverse reactions vary from patient to patient according to reports.

Grapefruit With Some Medications: Risky Business

Old 07-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #4653
Certified Pretend Chef

I didn't have grapefruit juice for breakfast. I did have a couple of cups of coffee and a sleeve of mini chocolate frosted donuts. Mmmmmmm!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #4654
Master Chef

I too love grapefruit. I always would sprinkle some sugar on it. One day I went into the lunchroom at work and a coworker was sprinkling on some salt. I told her I had never seen that before and she said, if you have never tried it don't knock it. Well, I tried it and I did like it. Now I can't eat it any other way.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #4655
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, what is the connection between grapfruit and diabetes? I have never heard that, other than the fact that fruit juices are bad for diabetics.

I love grapefruit. I have always heard that you should not combine grapefruit with a statin. When I worked at the pharmacy, I went into the drug facts for statins on the computer and it said not to drink "large amounts of grapefruit juice (a qt or more) when taking statins." I used to buy those little single serve cups of grapefruit and eat them with my breakfast. I asked one of the pharmacists about it and he told me in no uncertain terms to not drink ANY grapefruit juice when taking statins. Then I asked my cardiologist about it and he told me go ahead and eat the grapefruit in limited amounts. I sometimes buy 1 of those little individual cups and eat 1 grapefruit section with my breakfast each day, and that little cup lasts me most of the week. I am more inclined to believe the drug facts for the med which says to avoid large quantities, but then, that's what I want to believe.
Just because it can have for some a sour taste, it still contains natural sugars. It is after all citrus just like an orange is. They did a glucose test on me whereby I had to drink down 8 ounces of citrus fruit juice as fast as I could. It was grapefruit juice. With no sugar added. They then immediately drew blood and also did a finger prick. My sugar levels shot up to almost 300. I had to have an insulin shot immediately. Because I control my diabetes now by diet alone and without medication, no citrus for me, and limited amounts of any other fruit other than bananas in a 24 hour period. Also I am on 40 mg of statins a day. Every since they took me off the meds for diabetes, I have not had one incident of extremely low sugar. They stay in a range of what is normal for me. Considering the crazy hours I keep and my eating schedule of eating only when I feel like it. I don't get hunger pains and can easily go without eating for days. Now doing that will cause my sugar levels to go too low. So if I didn't eat at all the day before, I will make a concerted effort to eat a little something today.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #4656
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I too love grapefruit. I always would sprinkle some sugar on it. One day I went into the lunchroom at work and a coworker was sprinkling on some salt. I told her I had never seen that before and she said, if you have never tried it don't knock it. Well, I tried it and I did like it. Now I can't eat it any other way.
Before I started a med that precludes eating grapefruit that was my favorite way of eating it also. My family (way back then) put salt on our watermelons----other melons also. I don't that as much now unless the melon isn't sweet.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #4657
Chef Extraordinaire

I like salt on apples; black pepper on melons (and strawberries). I'll have to try it on grapefruit...I am not on anything that prohibits me from enjoying grapefruit. I know that is a fruit my parents really miss eating. My mom is on wafrarin and my dad on another med that prohibits grapefruit. My favorite way to "eat" grapefruit is freshly squeezed juice. I sometimes do 1/2 orange and 1/2 grapefruit juice.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #4658
Chef Extraordinaire

lemon poppyseed muffin, greek yogurt & coffee
Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #4659
Certified Pretend Chef

Corned beef hash and three over easy eggs.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #4660
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
lemon poppyseed muffin, greek yogurt & coffee
Glad to see you are starting your day off with some protein. How is the diet going? Have you gone down another size? I haven't forgotten you. I am still here.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt