"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #4811
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I remember hearing or reading something about runny yolks and folks of certain ages, that we, I mean, some folks shouldn't eat them any longer, something about it making you sick? Immune systems or something of the sort, my mind fails me at times
Join the club. I hate it when it is right on the tip of my tongue and it won't come out. Pull thread, unravel tongue.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #4812
Certified Pretend Chef

The elderly have compromised immune systems so shouldn't risk exposure to harmful bacteria such as salmonella. Eggs are known to be a possible source of salmonella so we are instructed to cook them so the yolks are no longer liquid to ensure any bacteria are killed off.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #4813
Chef Extraordinaire

At one time I was eating eggs every single day. A quick egg sandwich with a runny yolk instead of cooking myself a meal after coming home from work. I would make something for Poo, but just an egg sandwich for me. For the past year or more I very rarely eat an egg now. I think it may be that because I don't have any bread in the house, I just don't think of eggs as a meal anymore. Poached eggs, egg sandwich, hard boiled eggs, egg salad, etc. I love all of them. I should keep a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge so I can grab one when I think of eating.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #4814
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Addie, I keep a couple of hard cooked eggs in a bowl in the `fridge, that way DH has something to grab at all times. I also keep cut up washed and cut up fruits like grapes or cantaloupe or honeydew, all different 'good things' to eat so he won't ask for stuff he shouldn't have...
Old 11-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #4815
Chef Extraordinaire

I eat eggs almost every day. Re: salmonella--battery-farm eggs are the source of almost all cases of salmonella from eggs. The risk of getting salmonella from an egg is very low for the person who consumes an average number of eggs.

Incredible Edible Egg | Eggs | Egg Safety - Eggs & Food Safety
Old 11-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #4816
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, and today's breakfast was two poached eggs on a bed of steamed kale with polenta (fried in goose fat) on the side (never knew polenta could be so tasty--reminded me of those fast-food joint hashbrowns). Addie, if you can eat spinach, poached eggs delivered on spinach (kale/swiss chard/beet greens) or sliced tomato works for me.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #4817
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Addie, I keep a couple of hard cooked eggs in a bowl in the `fridge, that way DH has something to grab at all times. I also keep cut up washed and cut up fruits like grapes or cantaloupe or honeydew, all different 'good things' to eat so he won't ask for stuff he shouldn't have...
When the kids were small, I kept a glass with lightly salted water and put celery sticks and carrots sticks in them. I always kept them at the front of the fridge so the kids would see them and grab them first. If you asked them today, they would all say how they hate carrots, but will fight over who is going to get that last bit of creamed carrots in the bowl. Another hate is apples. Yet they will lick the pie plate that I had the pie in. Funny how they hate this and that and then some other item, yet clean their plate when you make a dish that they remember from childhood. I am always shaking my head in wonderment at them.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #4818
Chef Extraordinaire

Lemon muffin & coffee
Old 11-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #4819
Head Chef

Pulled pork with coleslaw, lettuce + tomato in a bun (take away at a deli).

I see that McDonalds are now doing pulled chicken burger. I remarked upon this to the burger vendor, i.e. saying that it didn't make much sense since pulling meat was about tenderising tougher joints by slow cooking - that chicken didn't need this. He agreed and said it was just cashing in on a fad. Has anyone tried one? If so, how was it?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #4820
Head Chef

I'm thinking Dukin Donuts steak and egg breakfast sammie is worth a try. I've always been a fan of steak and eggs.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt