"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #4821
Head Chef

I recently bought some Hunt's Mixed Fruit Jelly, .05 oz restaurant size packets. 30 at 18 cents a packet or something.

It's also called All Fruit Jelly. It's Apple, Cherry and Grape mixed together.

I tried shopping for Smuckers All Fruit locally, no luck anywhere. Only place was online for $18. Wow, surprising I couldn't locate a jar of it.

So I got me 30 restaurant packets of mixed/all fruit jelly.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #4822
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sunday is when I try to serve something other than weekday run-of-the-mill breakfast. Tried something new this morning and am very happy how it turned out.

We had baked bacon/egg omelets in muffin cups. What I did was to line 4 cups of a deep 6-cup silicone muffin pan with uncooked bacon, then beat up some eggs to which I added chopped green bell pepper and shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a tiny bit of salt. Poured the egg mixture into the bacon-lined muffin cups and baked at 350F for about 30 minutes or until the eggs were set. Yummy and they slid right out of the pan like a dream.

Along with the omelets we had sliced fresh pineapple, homemade biscuits with butter and honey, orange juice and coffee. We probably won't need any lunch.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #4823
Certified Pretend Chef

This morning I started the day with a most delicious onion bagel topped with cream cheese and lox.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #4824
Head Chef

I had Poilane (artisan sour dough) bread, toasted....do you get that in US? - with goose rillette. Oh and an organic soft boiled egg with soldiers.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #4825
Master Chef

Two eggs, gently cooked in butter, sunny-side-up, then steamed by adding a couple tbs. of water to the pan, and covered, to set the top, like a yummy, perfectly poached egg, but buttery. Slide the eggs on top of whole wheat toast. Yum. Follow up with a glass of ice-cold whole milk.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #4826
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	22237 Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	22238

DH's breakfast of Taylor's Ham
(or some folks in NJ call this Pork Roll)
scrambled eggs
diced tomato
Rye toast, no butter please

The first time I tried Taylor's Ham, DH's favorite breakfast meat,
I said, hmmm, looks like Spam, taste like Spam, I think I like
Spam better though.
You'da thought I'd committed one the worst sins ever,
DH went crazy, "WHAT?!"
:shrug: sorry
When we still lived in Hawaii and would go 'back East' to visit,
we'd stop in the grocery store and buy as many of these as we
could afford, freeze them, wrap them in tin foil and newspaper and
stash them in our suitcases.
But since moving to mainland, I can't believe the price hike, WOW!
$11.99
it was $6.99 7 years ago...
Old 11-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #4827
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I can cook, bake, saute, stew, braise, barbecue, roast, fry just about anything/everything, but I'm still on my lifelong quest of making good biscuits.

So, in view of that, we had some of my latest attempt for breakfast this morning. The biscuits were mediocre at best but were okay with butter and honey or molasses, which proves we can eat failures, too.

Next....
Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #4828
Head Chef

I had shop bought hummus that I added my home made harissa paste to. With carrot and toast.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #4829
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I can cook, bake, saute, stew, braise, barbecue, roast, fry just about anything/everything, but I'm still on my lifelong quest of making good biscuits.

So, in view of that, we had some of my latest attempt for breakfast this morning. The biscuits were mediocre at best but were okay with butter and honey or molasses, which proves we can eat failures, too.

Next....
I had often heard, "do not twist the cutter". It seems to press the sides down so they don't rise as high. So one day (habits are hard to break) I didn't twist the cutter. As much as I wanted to. If the dough stuck in the cutter, I just pushed it out with my fingers. Boy, are those folks right. Now my biscuits rise nice and high and are really light. I just had a bowl filled with flour and dipped the cutter in it until the whole cutter was covered. And one time I sprayed the cutter first before I dipped it in flour. That made the flour stick to the cutter even more. So now I give the cutter a quick spray with Pam and have a full bowl of flour handy for dipping. Just dipping the edge in flour is not enough. You need to dip the whole cutter in flour.

Keep at it. You will make it you best dish yet.

I also do not roll or pat our the dough to thin. That too can make a biscuit fail to rise to what you see in pictures.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #4830
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post

Next....
Biscuits Recipe:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

3 cups AP Flour
2 tbs. double-acting baking powder
9 tbs. cooking oil
3 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk

Combine all ingredients until just mixed. Do not over-mix.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Dust a work surface with flour and pat the dough into a disk. place the dough disk onto the work surface, and dust the top of the dough. Roll to 1/2 inch thick. Dip a glass into the flour, or use a biscuit cutter to cut the dough into 2 inch rounds. Stack the rounds to make a double layer and place on the parchment paper. Bake for twenty minutes, or golden brown. Remove and place onto a cooling rack. Serve warm with softened butter.

If this doesn't work for you, purchase Pillsbury Grandes.

Ok, here's a second recipe, this one for buttermilk biscuits. It's also very good, light and fluffy.

Preheat oven to 425' F.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 and 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/3 cup lard, or shortening, chilled and cut into bits
2 tbs. butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Cut in the lard or shortening to make pea-gravel sized nuggets. Fold in the buttermilk until all is moistened. let sit for 5 mintues or so.

Flour the working surface, apt the dough into a disk, flour the top of the disk, and roll to half-inch thickness. Cut into 2 inch rounds, palce on parchment paper lined cookie sheets, and bake until golden brown (about 15 to 25 minutes). Dip the biscuit tops into the melted butter and serve.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt