"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #4871
Senior Cook

I can not wait for tomorrows breakfast, a friend of mine brought over a slab of dry cured bacon {he made}, and 2 dozen eggs from his farm, also some goat cheese and jarred honey, all from his farm, his tractor wouldnt start so I went and plowed his roads and driveways for him.

Anyway I am going to run that bacon through the slicer on 7 at least 5 times, fry it up and just before its about done, drop in 3 eggs and sprinkle on some goat cheese, black pepper, and shredded fresh spinach... With a big hunk of toast.. I'll do this after my kids go to school so I don't have to share... :)

Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #4872
Head Chef

I had some home made, cold turkey meat loaf with an organic carrot and some buttered multi grain bread, toasted.

I don't like to use the oven just for one thing so, yesterday, when I bought a reduced item to bake, I also bought the reduced turkey mince and made it into a meat loaf to bake alongside it. My own concoction of turkey breast mince, sauteed onions and garlic in duck fat (to give the turkey breast some moisture), sun dried tomatoes chopped, dried crumbs (saved and grated), thyme, peri peri seasoning, and of course an egg!

To check the flavour, I followed a tip and fried off a small spoonful of it. Tasty. Not having a recipe, I was a bit unsure when it was cooked, e.g. kept prodding and looking into the centre of the loaf. When I saw cooked juices exude from it and the sides going crisp it was done.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #4873
Senior Cook

2 eggs medium, slice of ham, sausage patty, bacon, grits, biscuits and gravy, potatoes, and coffee, "the sampler @ Cracker Barrel"
Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #4874
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
2 eggs medium, slice of ham, sausage patty, bacon, grits, biscuits and gravy, potatoes, and coffee, "the sampler @ Cracker Barrel"
I'm from UK so not familiar with 'biscuits and gravy'....presumably not sweet biscuits?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #4875
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I'm from UK so not familiar with 'biscuits and gravy'....presumably not sweet biscuits?
sweet biscuits = cookies, Callmaker is referencing baking powder biscuits.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #4876
Executive Chef

Two perfectly cooked sunny side up eggs and two slices of toast.
I HATE runny whites but I've discovered a way of frying the white all of the way through and the edges are crispy, yet maintain a liquid golden yolk just right for dipping the corner of your toast. In this case, Italian bread with sesame seeds.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #4877
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Two perfectly cooked sunny side up eggs and two slices of toast.
I HATE runny whites but I've discovered a way of frying the white all of the way through and the edges are crispy, yet maintain a liquid golden yolk just right for dipping the corner of your toast. In this case, Italian bread with sesame seeds.
So, will you share your discovery?

I have found that, once the egg is cracked into the frying pan, placing a lid over the pan after a minute or so will cook through the egg white and has an almost poached appearance to the egg yolk (not unattractive).
Old 02-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #4878
Executive Chef

Fried Eggs

Perfectly Fried Sunny Side Up Eggs

Drop two pats of butter in a medium hot pre-heated skillet, swirl until you've coated the entire bottom of the pan and then turn down to medium to medium low heat. Crack in the eggs, shake the pan to spread the white and then place a lid (mine is glass so I can keep track of the cooking) but place the lid offset so the steam can escape but keeps most of the heat in. About three minutes of cooking will begin to develop the crispy edge but as soon as the white over the yolk begins to look cloudy (cooked) it's time to carefully loosen the bottom of the egg(s) with your spatula, working around the edges first. Once they are loose, carefully slide them off onto the serving plate. Don't try to lift them completely out with the spatula or you may break the yolk.
Enjoy!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #4879
Chef Extraordinaire

A poached egg, steamed spinach, and "cauliflower" pan fries.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #4880
Wine Guy

4 oz of ribeye steak with some sauteed mushrooms.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt