"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #4941
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Same bacon, egg, tomato, lettuce and mayo on an everything bagel. I was right, it didn't kill me today. Yet...

This sounds like the perfect breakfast to me, except the bagel. I love them, but have to pass because of my diabetes.

I love eggs so much, I can't imagine not having them for breakfast every morning.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #4942
Master Chef

Me too, Carol....I love eggs and have them almost every morning - at least 5 days out of 7, anyway.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #4943
Certified Pretend Chef

Three eggs over easy with sausages and hash browns.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 AM   #4944
Sous Chef

Homemade sausage bread with butter and syrup, 1/2 red grapefruit and Earl Grey tea. Tomorrow we'll have blueberry pancakes and cantaloup, as I need to use up the fruit.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #4945
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
This sounds like the perfect breakfast to me, except the bagel. I love them, but have to pass because of my diabetes.

I love eggs so much, I can't imagine not having them for breakfast every morning.
Yeah I totally understand. I have a thing I call "Greg's don't eat white diet." White means anything refined like bread (wheat flour), sugar, potatoes (starch), spaghetti (same), rice (same).

Of course you know this, but for everybody else: refined starches turn into sugar when they hit the enzymes in your stomach, and go directly from your stomach into your blood stream.

Your pancreas senses the increased blood sugar level and releases insulin which signals your fat cells to convert the blood sugar into fat. This keeps your blood sugar level from getting too high.

If you have diabetes or a pre-diabetic condition your pancreas does not release sufficient insulin and your blood sugar level surges to dangerous levels.

Even for people without any diabetic tendencies, these "white" foods still are the equivalent of simply eating handfuls of sugar. Sugars and starches are practically the same thing, so when you eat bread, sugar, potatoes, pasta, etc. just think of yourself eating handfuls of sugar.

Unfortunately, while I have no diabetic tendencies, I have a mild case of Dunlop's disease. That's when your belly dunlops over your belt!

I bought more bagels today, but I also bought some bananas and milk. I like Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal, little squares of toasted wheat (unfortunately with sugar added, Kashi brags too much about the health of their cereals) but I plan on having my favorite bagel and egg breakfast and more banana, milk and cereal, at least in a balance with the egg-bagels.

(Wheat is sugar too, but less wheat with more fruit and more milk -- protein -- leaves less sugar. I use 2% milk.)

I figure if I alternate the egg-bagel with the banana-milk-cereal I'll be better off.

OMG I'm so glad that my black coffee has no dietary consequences! I can drink as much as I want!

Remember Greg's "don't eat white" diet if you have a weight problem. All refined or pure starches are just sugar in another form.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #4946
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Me too, Carol....I love eggs and have them almost every morning - at least 5 days out of 7, anyway.
It's funny how eggs had such a bad reputation for a time...

Yeah they have cholesterol, but more science has come out now. It turns out that eating cholesterol does not cause high cholesterol. It's the cholesterol made in your body that is to blame. The cholesterol you eat mostly just passes out of your body.

Eating cholesterol does NOT cause high cholesterol!

Eating fat does not make you fat, within reason. Fat is calories but avoiding eating all fat is NOT healthy! My mother -- God love her -- lived to 92 years and 2 days, and she was as skinny as a bird when she passed. I had been after her for years, being that skinny and thinking that getting all the fat out of her diet was healthy. It wasn't.

The mistake my mother made is she did not have exercise in her life plan. Sure she lived a long time, but she would still be with us if she had gotten decent exercise AND ate a reasonable but not excessive amount of fat.

The lesson to learn from this is that diet alone cannot make you healthy. It's diet AND exercise in proper balance that makes a person healthy!

So now that have eggs and bagels and bacon, and also have milk, bananas and cereal, what will I have tomorrow? ........ ........ I think it will be bagel/egg tomorrow because I had no eggs today, and then make up by having bnaana/milk/cereal day after to pay for my sins.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #4947
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What have you had for breakfast lately?

It is amazing, isn't it? Eggs, coffee, wine, all sorts of things that used to be no-nos are now what are recommended for daily consumption.

Hmm. Now I have a good idea for tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 AM   #4948
Chef Extraordinaire

Greg, I eat potatoes and rice for the nutrients they contain. But controlling my diet on a daily basis, I have my diabetes well under control. So much so that I no longer take any insulin, pill or injection. It is the excess intake of these two foods that is the problem. I have managed to continue eating these two foods and still lose 40 pounds and keep my sugar levels under control. A medium size potato, or a serving spoon of rice has enough nutrients in them that I can meet my daily needs. And I leave my plate clean. Or try to. I would rather have a large helping of a green veggie. Or even carrots or squash. But I temper the veggie with a starch.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:57 AM   #4949
Assistant Cook

This morning for me there were hot green tea, biscuits, strawberry jam and toasted bread. I wish I had more time to have breakfast
Old 04-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #4950
Chef Extraordinaire

Today was two poached eggs, sautéed asparagus, a rice blend with lentils, wild rice, brown rice, and cargo rice, and a serving of plain yogurt. The rice was leftover, so it only took the time it took to reheat the rice, sauté the asparagus and poach the eggs.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt