"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #5061
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have "an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle" for that job...
I had one of those. Never shot anybody's eye out, or even anyone. I did shoot a squirrel, three times, right between the eyes. He just stood on the tree branch and looked at me, as if to say, "Is that all you got?". Good thing he wasn't a killer squirrel, or I'd not be typing this right now. Gotta go. DW's waitin' for me so she can have someone wait on her, hand and foot, and everything in between. If it didn't cost so much, I'd get sick too. I could lay around in bed all day, and ask someone to make me breakfast, lunch, and dinner, take care of any and all household chores, yard chores, gardening chores, financial chores, and cater to my every whim. And, I'd probably get to enjoy a solid 8 hours of sleep for a change. while

Seriously though, it's driving her crazy not to be able to do anything for three months or more. I might as well be in crazy-town with her.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #5062
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I had one of those. Never shot anybody's eye out, or even anyone. I did shoot a squirrel, three times, right between the eyes. He just stood on the tree branch and looked at me, as if to say, "Is that all you got?". Good thing he wasn't a killer squirrel, or I'd not be typing this right now. Gotta go. DW's waitin' for me so she can have someone wait on her, hand and foot, and everything in between. If it didn't cost so much, I'd get sick too. I could lay around in bed all day, and ask someone to make me breakfast, lunch, and dinner, take care of any and all household chores, yard chores, gardening chores, financial chores, and cater to my every whim. And, I'd probably get to enjoy a solid 8 hours of sleep for a change. while

Seriously though, it's driving her crazy not to be able to do anything for three months or more. I might as well be in crazy-town with her.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, the secret is to do like mothers of a newborn know. Sleep when the baby does. She is not active, so she doesn't get tired like you do. Take a nap or sleep when she does. Does your insurance cover a home aide? If so, you really should take advantage of it for however long it is covered. Even if she does just the housework.

I know just how difficult these days must be for you. If she can sit up in bed or even move to a chair during the day, try to find books she might be interested in reading. Just sitting up can make a patient tired. She has to use muscles to sit up. And that little activity can be tiring. It is best if she does this just prior to bed time for the night.

You are a good man Chief. And I am positive that DW knows this and loves you even more. And you haven't lost your sense of humor. That definitely is a good thing. As Martha Stewart is wont to say.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #5063
Senior Cook

(Boy, I am new here and it amazes me how these threads quickly spiral off into realms unknown. That is human nature, not a criticism, but I like to talk about food.)

What I eat, when I'm not entertaining, is congee. A billion people eat it for breakfast: I eat it for lunch and dinner too. I make a big pot and it changes as the week goes along, with the occasional assault of a whole cauliflower, or smoked haddock. It doesn't bore me. It's what you need when you can't imagine eating anything, ever again. (Oh, and change your Saturday night routine while you're at it, OK?) I'll check-see if there's a decent recipe here and if not, will provide the loosest recipe imaginable.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #5064
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our visit to the breakfast world during the week is pretty mundane and most often involves cereal of some form, along with a variety of juices and some sort of fresh fruit.

Sunday breakfast, on the other hand, is usually more extravagant and involved.

Since Glenn's birthday is a few days away, I decided to begin his celebration week by making him one of his favorite breakfasts...with a twist.

Yesterday, we had fried local thick bacon, soft scrambled eggs and Cajun fried potatoes, coffee and fresh orange juice.

He particularly likes fried potatoes for breakfast and he also likes hot/spicy foods. In view of that, I barely boiled some little red potatoes with some salt and liquid crab boil. Let them drain until very dry. Fried them with some chopped onions in bacon drippings. Yep. He really enjoyed them. Will definitely do this again.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #5065
Head Chef

Crepes, w/ strawberries, blue berries & cherries.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #5066
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Went "country" today with fried hog jaw, cathead biscuits, soft scrambled eggs, orange juice and coffee. I couldn't finish all mine and am happy there are plenty of biscuits left for tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #5067
Head Chef

I made some corned beef hash with over-easy eggs for Craig. He always gets that when we go out for breakfast, as long as it's made in-house. There's one place that makes his favorite but it's kind of far now since we moved so thought I'd give it a whirl. He said it was pretty good, just needs some tweaks so I'll be writing what I did down and we'll go from there. It took forever for the prep. 1/4 dice on potatoes, peppers and onions takes a really long time to do. He likes the corned beef shredded so did that in the food processor. I think I'll put the onions in the food processor next time too.

He is nearly positive the place that he likes the best puts 1/4 dice half-sour pickles in their hash. Not a whole bunch of it, like maybe a teaspoon or 2 to a cup of everything else. Anybody ever hear of that?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #5068
Certified Pretend Chef

Right now I'm simmering some blueberries to make a waffle topping. That'll be breakfast.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #5069
Chef Extraordinaire

A bowl of watermelon pieces.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #5070
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I made some corned beef hash with over-easy eggs for Craig ... It took forever for the prep. 1/4 dice on potatoes, peppers and onions takes a really long time to do.
Something I found that works well is to spread the cubed spuds on the microwave turntable and zap them for a few minutes. It gets them to where they only take as long as the peppers to cook, and for free it dries their outsides so they're primed for browning. I caramelize the onions in the slow cooker separately on a timer (while I'm asleep), then sear the spuds on their own before adding the peppers and (eventually) the onions.

I've only made corned beef once. I don't like those supermarket "pre-seasoned" slabs because they never seem to contain good-quality beef. It took me ten days, starting with a pastured brisket, and it was worthwhile (though expensive). I meant to keep some for hash, but it got eaten too quickly.

That said, I have to admit that I was partially-raised on enormous cans of Argentinian "bully beef," as we call it in Britain, and it makes wonderful hash.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt