"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #5071
Head Chef

We've made corned beef many times, use David Rosengarten's recipe. He made it on his Food Network show long ago when FN was just starting, Taste was in the name.

With everything cut that small, it didn't take very long to cook, and the onions aren't caramelized in the deli dish I'm am trying to copycat. Need to get the basic recipe nailed first.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #5072
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
It took forever for the prep. 1/4 dice on potatoes, peppers and onions takes a really long time to do...

He is nearly positive the place that he likes the best puts 1/4 dice half-sour pickles in their hash. Not a whole bunch of it, like maybe a teaspoon or 2 to a cup of everything else. Anybody ever hear of that?
I'm surprised you guys don't have a mandolin, considering all the other kitchen gear you have

I don't like corned beef, so I've never made the hash, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that some people put pickles in it. The acidity would be nice with the richness of the meat.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #5073
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm surprised you guys don't have a mandolin, considering all the other kitchen gear you have

I don't like corned beef, so I've never made the hash, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that some people put pickles in it. The acidity would be nice with the richness of the meat.
We do and have for 20+ years, a French stainless one, but the guard is long gone and the blades to cut in 1/4 logs are too dangerous to even contemplate. I'll slice stuff on it, but those daggers without a guard, just no. I need my fingers. Besides that didn't even think about it.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #5074
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post

We do and have for 20+ years, a French stainless one, but the guard is long gone and the blades to cut in 1/4 logs are too dangerous to even contemplate. I'll slice stuff on it, but those daggers without a guard, just no. I need my fingers. Besides that didn't even think about it.
I can usually work a big scary one just fine, but it always made me nervous until I bought some Kevlar gauntlets. They're not the most comfortable things in the world, but they work fine for mandolining.

(They also worked fine for the purpose I bought them: to feed a cat medicine it did NOT want to take. Turns out the gloves weren't enough to protect me, so I also donned my leather shop apron and thought I was Invincible Man, until I discovered that bitten fingers hurt just as much when covered in Kevlar.)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #5075
Assistant Cook

I usually have coffee with 2-4 cigarettes. But this morning I woke up hungry and after coffee I had a big plate of salty biscuits with cream cheese.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #5076
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrinaUrsu View Post
I usually have coffee with 2-4 cigarettes. But this morning I woke up hungry and after coffee I had a big plate of salty biscuits with cream cheese.
When I was younger coffee and cigarettes was my breakfast, my grandmother always scowled and called it "a whore's breakfast!".

Welcome to DC!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #5077
Senior Cook

OK I now have a membership to a Wholesale Whorehouse type store near me BJ's (not Sams), and I got this big restaurant purchase style bag of frozen diced peppers and onions. Now I usually would want to buy my peppers and onions from a farm market, etc... because I am a pretentious jerk, but there is something cool about having ten pounds of it, pre-diced, in the freezer. If you notice showing up a bit peppers and onions in my recipes, um... I plead the fifth.

So this morning I poached some eggs, we had leftover sourdough bread from a picnic we went to this weekend, that was going to go off, so I cubed that, warmed it with said frozen peppers and onions and a little garlic, and kind of made a warm bread pudding to serve the poachers over? So as I sort of had an Eggs Benedict vibe going, I made a sauce, which was a balsamic vinegar reduction and some maple syrup.

So then I woke up Beloved Wife, who seemed to like it, generally I don't get cooking until evening times, so she is now looking at what transgressions I was preemptively apologizing for. Which means I am happy and all is well in the world.

Best,

TBS
Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #5078
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When I was younger coffee and cigarettes was my breakfast, my grandmother always scowled and called it "a whore's breakfast!".

Welcome to DC!
Oh...that's just horrible!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #5079
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Welcome to DC!
So, if I have a glass of orange juice with that...would it be a "Call Girl's Breakfast"?
Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #5080
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm having a version of the traditional Turkish breakfast for the summer. Toasted baguette topped with local honey, Muenster cheese and Penzeys Pie Spice, deviled eggs, oil-cured black olives and a cucumber-tomato salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Not traditionally Turkish but yummy - curried chicken salad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468345402784.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	25010  

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt