"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #5891
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
blissful, when I tasted arugula for the first time it reminded me a bit of dandelion. I don't know if that's any help on the bitter scale. I don't know about kale since we aren't smoothie people, but our complaint about kale was the texture more than the bitter. Chew...chew...chew...chew...chew...chew...
Have you tried kale chips? I don't much care for bitter, but these chips are weird, but yummy. Here's an old thread about them, with instructions on how to make them: Kale chips

Old 06-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #5892
Chef Extraordinaire

Today, I had a small plateful of Dragon Lady sesame noodles for breakfast.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #5893
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Have you tried kale chips?...
Yes, I have. Our son was on a kale chip kick on one of our visits. Made them often. They're OK. I'm usually not a big fan of any kind of chip, but sometimes I get in the mood. Personally, though, I'd rather munch on something else rather than kale chips. Raw veggies are good for getting the munch-and-crunch effect.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #5894
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
When I was growing up, the neighbor across the street took us dandelion picking. He loved the things. He said that you have to pick the leaves before the flowers appear. We had them with just olive oil and lemon juice, s&p. I liked them but we never went picking with him again. It might have had something to do with almost getting arrested for picking on private property. :
When I was a kid, the Italian women would go up to Route 1 and pick the dandelion greens on the median strip in the middle of the highway. Two many were getting hit by cars so the police put a stop to it and it was turned into a law. So then the ones who lived here in Eastie, went down to pick the ones that grew along the railroad tracks and in the middle of them. To watch them was a show in itself. They fought with their fist if another women dared to pick on their stretch of land. Then along came a train and one woman was badly injured. Yup. Another anti law for picking these greens.

The next step was if you had these plants growing on your property and considered them a pest, call an old Italian lady and she would come and clean your lawn of all of them. I remember one woman began to sign up the women of the house as her clients. She had quite a business going. Then the police got wind of what she was doing and put a stop to her. She didn't have a license to operate a business. That was the last straw. No more dandelion picking for her. They could pick them but couldn't charge for it.

So I have always wondered. What about the kids who got paid to mow your lawn? They never had a license. The police never harassed them.

My kids were horrified when they heard that people would eat them.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #5895
Chef Extraordinaire

I had the leftover salad from last night's supper with a chopped, hard boiled egg and some of the leftover ranchoid dressing. That's actually one of my favourite breakfasts.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt