What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I love aebelskiver! Reminds me of a trip to Solvang CA years ago, we had them with lingonberry jam. :yum:

CWS, your breakfast looks very filling and delicious. Those eggs look absolutely, perfectly poached.
Thanks, Cheryl. I timed how long it took (mind you--the rice was leftover from yesterday), it was under 10 minutes. I cheat on poaching the eggs--I did the pan method, the pan with the inset method, and decided I like using the microwave egg poacher best. And, I tried on my "skinny jeans" tonight--they fit, not loose, but they zip up easily. I don't have a scale--at least not one big enough to weigh me--I don't believe in them. I didn't do this "change when I eat most of my calories" to lose weight, I did it because it made sense re: how the body works. I have more energy, sleep better, and am not hungry between meals, I'm barely hungry in the evening. And I LOVE lingonberries--they grow in NFLD and a friend always brings some back for me.

Thanks, Cheryl. I timed how long it took (mind you--the rice was leftover from yesterday), it was under 10 minutes. I cheat on poaching the eggs--I did the pan method, the pan with the inset method, and decided I like using the microwave egg poacher best. And, I tried on my "skinny jeans" tonight--they fit, not loose, but they zip up easily. I don't have a scale--at least not one big enough to weigh me--I don't believe in them. I didn't do this "change when I eat most of my calories" to lose weight, I did it because it made sense re: how the body works. I have more energy, sleep better, and am not hungry between meals, I'm barely hungry in the evening. And I LOVE lingonberries--they grow in NFLD and a friend always brings some back for me.

Congrats on the results of your diet plan, CWS. I don't much believe in what the numbers on a scale mean either, necessarily. It sounds like you've worked out the ideal plan that works best for you. When my mom was alive and I was caring for her (she passed last year) she was so frail and tiny that anything she would eat, at any time, was a good thing. It took me a while to get out of that habit myself and limit my evening meals to something light and healthy.

I had one of those egg poaching pans and gave it away a couple of years ago, might need to buy one again. I've tried poaching eggs in water using the 'swirl' method and messed them up, so gave up on that. lol.

Would love to have someone bring me fresh lingonberries! :yum:

I use a muffin pan line one muffin cup with a large piece of plastic. I tsp of water and one egg. Roll another piece of plastic up to tie it off. A small pan with 1\2 inch of water . I never turn water past lowest setting. Before tying I try and remove the air. Place plastic wrapped egg gently in pan.
Takes a while but I enjoy the way it comes out.
I am sure googling it will come up with a better description .

leasingthisspace said:
I use a muffin pan line one muffin cup with a large piece of plastic. I tsp of water and one egg. Roll another piece of plastic up to tie it off. A small pan with 1\2 inch of water . I never turn water past lowest setting. Before tying I try and remove the air. Place plastic wrapped egg gently in pan.
Takes a while but I enjoy the way it comes out.
I am sure googling it will come up with a better description .

Thanks!

I guess I haven't motivated anyone to try the "load it up" in the morning approach. En toute cas, today's breakfast is 2 eggs over steamed swiss chard, bulghar wheat with a bit of mint and lime (mint chopped fine, fresh lime juice), pepper, BC sweet cherries, and a glass of water with cider vinegar (one of my favorites when it is hot outside).

Cider vinegar added to the water? Or by itself? I've never thought of drinking straight up. Please explain.

I do most of my big meals as my breakfast as well. But for everyone else its dinner because I work nights.

Cider vinegar added to the water? Or by itself? I've never thought of drinking straight up. Please explain.

I do most of my big meals as my breakfast as well. But for everyone else its dinner because I work nights.
In a 16-oz. glass, I add about 1 oz. cider vinegar, preferably with mother, but sometimes not. I also do the same re: balsamic or red or white wine vinegar. When weeding the gardens or mowing (3.5 acres) I take a 2-l bottle with vinegar added out with me. When I have Seltzer (it isn't available in Canada--I have to buy it in the States), I do the same. Really nice with red wine vinegar or balsamic.

Last edited:
I would love your breakfasts CWS....but my DH likes sweets in the morning, so this morning was whole grains cereal with toasted nuts, raisins, milk.

It never occurs to me to eat much differently from him.....but hey, I don't see why not?!!! We've been married 32 years, he ain't gonna complain now, is he?

Lunch will be our big meal of the day; I made turkey chili last evening, so will serve that up with steamed broccoli and rice. Fruit salad for dessert (there always has to be dessert at my hubby's table). He stays slim, I get fat for both of us.

I would love your breakfasts CWS....but my DH likes sweets in the morning, so this morning was whole grains cereal with toasted nuts, raisins, milk.

It never occurs to me to eat much differently from him.....but hey, I don't see why not?!!!

Soma--try it for a few days...your hubby can still have his sweets, just sub out his sweets for grains, have fresh fruit instead of the sweet option and pay attention to when you start to get hungry (make of a note of when you are hungry today as a baseline). I kid you not, adding the grains and greens to breakfast has made a huge difference re: when I get hungry and cravings for snacking during the day.

I did this to increase my energy level--I have so much more energy and am sleeping so much better. I worked nights and sleeping past 3:00 a.m. was a problem. Now I have to set my alarm or else I sleep until 8:30-9:00 a.m.!

Last edited:
BTW, cider vinegar is a natural appetite suppressor--you're supposed to drink it 30 minutes before eating, but I drink water with vinegar throughout the day, especially during the summer when it is hot outside=-my version of iced tea!

CWS4322 said:
BTW, cider vinegar is a natural appetite suppressor--you're supposed to drink it 30 minutes before eating, but I drink water with vinegar throughout the day, especially during the summer when it is hot outside=-my version of iced tea!

Thanks I will have to try it.

CWS4322 said:
I guess I haven't motivated anyone to try the "load it up" in the morning approach. En toute cas, today's breakfast is 2 eggs over steamed swiss chard, bulghar wheat with a bit of mint and lime (mint chopped fine, fresh lime juice), pepper, BC sweet cherries, and a glass of water with cider vinegar (one of my favorites when it is hot outside).

I'm just not a morning eater. The most I can get down is a glass of skim milk, with some low sodium V-8 later.

I'm just not a morning eater. The most I can get down is a glass of skim milk, with some low sodium V-8 later.

I had to teach myself to eat in the morning...not easy. I actually felt nauseous even thinking about food until I'd been awake for a few hours. But, my weight loss didn't start until I started eating breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom