"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #851
Chef Extraordinaire

i had breakfast for breakfast for once! woohoo!

i broke downand bought a jimmy dean brand nuke-able breakfast bowl. the cheddar, potato, eggs, and bacon bowl.

honestly, it was pretty good. not exactly a chef making eggs benedict with fresh hollandaise on a homemade muffin, but it fit the bill.

for once i didn't read the nutrition label, so please spare me if you know.

it's like ordering mickey d's to me. a bue moon event. maybe sooner at times.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM   #852
Chef Extraordinaire

I try to keep one or two nukies on hand. I don't have very good eating habits becuse I live alone. So when I know I have to eat SOMETHING, anything, I go for those. It helps me keep my sugars under control. And it is easier than cooking. Mostly Hot Pockets. When my sugars drop too low, I first get orange juice into me, and then a Hot Pocket. They hold me over until I can cook something.

I prefer poached egges on an English muffin or toast. And always coffee then a glass of milk.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #853
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i had breakfast for breakfast for once! woohoo!

i broke downand bought a jimmy dean brand nuke-able breakfast bowl. the cheddar, potato, eggs, and bacon bowl.

honestly, it was pretty good. not exactly a chef making eggs benedict with fresh hollandaise on a homemade muffin, but it fit the bill.

for once i didn't read the nutrition label, so please spare me if you know.

it's like ordering mickey d's to me. a bue moon event. maybe sooner at times.
The JD ham and cheese omelets are decent in a pinch, too. I usually have a box of those in the freezer at work if I forget to eat, they are quick and at least taste like ham and cheese.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #854
Chef Extraordinaire

Geesh, maybe I am not a food snob after all. What I object to is all the preservatives found in food today. I just feel better if I read the label and try to avoid chemicals in general if possible. I would rather buy a loaf of artisan bread and toss most of it out because it went really stale, than to toss out a couple of slices of Wonder Bread in an effort to not waste the whole loaf because I tried to use up the loaf. but when I need that Hot Pocket, I need it instantly. I am not stopping to read the label.

Most frozen foods are flash frozen and don't have the need for chemicals. Specially veggies. They go right from the fields to the freezer the same day.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #855
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Geesh, maybe I am not a food snob after all. What I object to is all the preservatives found in food today. I just feel better if I read the label and try to avoid chemicals in general if possible. I would rather buy a loaf of artisan bread and toss most of it out because it went really stale, than to toss out a couple of slices of Wonder Bread in an effort to not waste the whole loaf because I tried to use up the loaf. but when I need that Hot Pocket, I need it instantly. I am not stopping to read the label.

Most frozen foods are flash frozen and don't have the need for chemicals. Specially veggies. They go right from the fields to the freezer the same day.
I need to watch carefully for sodium and fat content, I do have a few things that I pick for quick fixes if I find myself getting the shakes. I do my best to avoid all the extra preservatives, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup. But, you are right Addie, when a diabetic needs to eat, the last thing on your mind is the composition of the food we are eating.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #856
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
When a diabetic needs to eat, the last thing on your mind is the composition of the food we are eating.
I finally, after more than four years, have my medical team convinced that I know my body and if I run into a problem, they will be the first I call. I know when my sugar is low or high. The obvious when it is low, and I just feel sick when it is too high. I immediately check it when I feel either one is present. And when I am not feeling so great, the first thing I do is check my sugar level. And this morning, it is right on target.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #857
Chef Extraordinaire

A pbj toasted english muffin & some bacon with a nice, strong latte.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #858
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
A pbj toasted english muffin & some bacon with a nice, strong latte.
Peanut butter on a plain rice cake and nuked in the micro. The PB melts down into the rice cake and brings out the flavor of the PB. I use all natural PB. The kind where you have to stir the oil in that is floating on top. The only thing it has added is salt. It's like eating fresh roasted peanuts. Perfect for diabetics.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #859
Chef Extraordinaire

a slice of warm coffee and date bread . and a glass of milk.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #860
Assistant Cook

I put anything into an omelet. This morning was 3/4 cup of left over mac and cheese and 2 eggs with a few red pepper flakes. Sal.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt