What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Power out this morning so no coffee,Duunkin Doughnuts closed also, power out in then whole town so not even gas station coffee. Finally made it to work and found all the Keruig coffee gone. The world was out to get me this morning. Had to settle on the swill that came out of the old Bun-o-Matic. Finally got the Ambulance to DD and all was better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dante1972 said:
Power out this morning so no coffee,Duunkin Doughnuts closed also, crap power out in then whole town so not even gas station coffee. Finally made it to work and found all the Keruig coffee gone. WTF!!! The world was out to get me this morning. Had to settle on the swill that came out of the old Bun-o-Matic. Finally got the Ambulance to DD and all was better.

You must have forgotten that the secret to work coffee is to steep it with an old tennis shoe. Hope DD was OK!

Home-made baked beans topped with two fried FRESH eggs.

Every Saturday night we had homemade Boston Baked Beans. And I continued the tradition when I had kids. Every Monday morning all my school friends had bean sandwiches in their lunch. I love cold beans. When I buy a can of beans, I automatically put them in the fridge when I get home instead of in the pantry. I have a 1.5 quart bean pot. Just big enough to make baked beans for one. Once the kids were gone, I gave the 6 quart pot away.

Delicious-chefD said:
Ya I love the pink rock stars :) lol there great before I teach a morning class... Gets me going, and a lil egg protien to keep me going

OK, a pink rockstar isn't Steven Tyler, right? What the heck is a pink rockstar? (remember, this is a family friendly site).

I have the feeling my first thought was correct...

Last edited:
Great grains pecan cereal with skim milk & coffee. Toast with peanut butter & nutella on it.

Glad to see a breakfast thread. It's not so much what I'm having for breakfast as what I'm making for breakfast. I host a seasonal homeless shelter one night a week. Wednesday night, at the local Episcopal church, of which I am not a member. We used to send them out in the morning with a cold sack lunch, and I took it upon myself to start making them a hot breakfast, then had to argue with the church to get them both a breakfast and a sack lunch. Finally the church capitulated, and even started picking up the tab for breakfast.

I get up at five on Thursday mornings, and light the griddle on the stove in the church kitchen, where my dog, Sadie and I spend the night, then put the coffee on. While it heats, I chop a couple of brown onions in the Cuis, then push a half dozen Idahos through the fine shredder disk, toss them with salt and pepper and plop them onto the oiled griddle with an ice cream scoop. Next comes bulk sausage, two one-pound chubs. Slice the wrapper down the side then slice the chubs into patties, peel and add to the griddle. Peel and squeeze a package of beef chorizo into a bowl and put aside. Eggs. Two and a half dozen, into two bowls, twenty and ten. Scramble with an immersion blender. Flip the hash brown patties and sausage. Now I can put the chopped onion that didn't go into the spuds in a bowl, fill another bowl with freshly-shredded cheese (a friend of mine does the farmers' markets for an organic creamery, and I get his out of date cheese. It's sealed and I get it the day it goes unsellable.), and a third bowl with salsa. Chop some cilantro if I have it. Condiments done. Time to remove the spuds and sausage to a pan with a wire rack and paper towels, cover with a towel and pop into the oven. Now, plain scrambled eggs hit the griddle...two dozen, and into a bowl, cover and into the oven. Next the chorizo...chop, fold, chop, fold until it breaks apart, then spread it across the griddle into a berm to hold the rest of the eggs, and scramble it all together. Into another bowl, cover and into the warm oven. Last comes flour tortillas, two dozen, eight at a time on the griddle, turn them and turn onto a plate, cover and oven. Phew, I haven't had time for my coffee yet.

So now I can pour myself a cup of coffee, take a sip and set out plates, cups, glasses, napkins salt and pepper, catsup, the condiment bowls, milk, juice, fruit, butter, coffee, tea...aaagghhh...OK...people are stirring, time to put out the food. I turn the lights on at six, and have a breakfast buffet laid for twenty or so of Ojai's homeless. The best hour of my Thursday, no matter what else happens. I don't mind the washing up.

A friend of mine wanted to learn how to work her kitchen, so I asked her to come help with breakfast last year. She came about six or seven times. This year, Toni is making breakfast for the homeless at the Grange Hall Saturday mornings. She doesn't host overnight, but she makes it in at five am on Saturdays. Had to borrow one of my cast iron griddles and a griddle spatula for the grange stove, it's not a commercial rig like the big old National I get to use. I asked one of our guests how Saturday mornings are going...he said, "Great. Good breakfast. We lo-o-ove Toni." Good that it's catching.

Last edited:
Glad to see a breakfast thread. It's not so much what I'm having for breakfast as what I'm making for breakfast. I host a seasonal homeless shelter one night a week. Wednesday night, at the local Episcopal church, of which I am not a member. We used to send them out in the morning with a cold sack lunch, and I took it upon myself to start making them a hot breakfast, then had to argue with the church to get them both a breakfast and a sack lunch. Finally the church capitulated, and even started picking up the tab for breakfast.

I get up at five on Thursday mornings, and light the griddle on the stove in the church kitchen, where my dog, Sadie and I spend the night, then put the coffee on. While it heats, I chop a couple of brown onions in the Cuis, then push a half dozen Idahos through the fine shredder disk, toss them with salt and pepper and plop them onto the oiled griddle with an ice cream scoop. Next comes bulk sausage, two one-pound chubs. Slice the wrapper down the side then slice the chubs into patties, peel and add to the griddle. Peel and squeeze a package of beef chorizo into a bowl and put aside. Eggs. Two and a half dozen, into two bowls, twenty and ten. Scramble with an immersion blender. Flip the hash brown patties and sausage. Now I can put the chopped onion that didn't go into the spuds in a bowl, fill another bowl with freshly-shredded cheese (a friend of mine does the farmers' markets for an organic creamery, and I get his out of date cheese. It's sealed and I get it the day it goes unsellable.), and a third bowl with salsa. Chop some cilantro if I have it. Condiments done. Time to remove the spuds and sausage to a pan with a wire rack and paper towels, cover with a towel and pop into the oven. Now, plain scrambled eggs hit the griddle...two dozen, and into a bowl, cover and into the oven. Next the chorizo...chop, fold, chop, fold until it breaks apart, then spread it across the griddle into a berm to hold the rest of the eggs, and scramble it all together. Into another bowl, cover and into the warm oven. Last comes flour tortillas, two dozen, eight at a time on the griddle, turn them and turn onto a plate, cover and oven. Phew, I haven't had time for my coffee yet.

So now I can pour myself a cup of coffee, take a sip and set out plates, cups, glasses, napkins salt and pepper, catsup, the condiment bowls, milk, juice, fruit, butter, coffee, tea...aaagghhh...OK...people are stirring, time to put out the food. I turn the lights on at six, and have a breakfast buffet laid for twenty or so of Ojai's homeless. The best hour of my Thursday, no matter what else happens. I don't mind the washing up.

A friend of mine wanted to learn how to work her kitchen, so I asked her to come help with breakfast last year. She came about six or seven times. This year, Toni is making breakfast for the homeless at the Grange Hall Saturday mornings. She doesn't host overnight, but she makes it in at five am on Saturdays. Had to borrow one of my cast iron griddles and a griddle spatula for the grange stove, it's not a commercial rig like the big old National I get to use. I asked one of our guests how Saturday mornings are going...he said, "Great. Good breakfast. We lo-o-ove Toni." Good that it's catching.

I love the company you keep, sounds like the best breakfast, sharing of yourself.

Bless you, Gadzooks! People really need folks like you, especially now.

I have a Sadie dog too!

Gadzooks... Happy Holidays! The church I belong to feeds the homeless for dinner every Monday. You realize how many people there are that go without, especially during the holidays.

Here was our breakfast... scrambled eggs with bacon bits and chives, bacon and buttered toast. It wasn't fancy, but it was good!

img_1084782_0_1b9cdd234867d2bb9c09f050358b5f33.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom