What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tinlizzie said:
No offense intended, but I've heard that Vegemite has a, shall we say, very different taste. Like awful. I have never had any myself. Can you describe it in terms of a similar flavor?

It's different! But practically religion in Australia. It has a very strong savoury/salty taste, and it's really like nothing I can describe. In England, they eat marmite, which is similar and not as strong in flavour. I use the bits in the empty jar for cooking to add extra flavour. I just put some boiling water in the jar and add to the slow cooker or make gravy with it. It's great also if you are suffering mouth ulcers, because of the high vitamin B content : )

2 poached eggs over steamed swiss chard, barley, and a BIG glass of freshly "squeezed" tomato juice (about 6 tomatoes) with a dash or two of Tabasco.

It's different! But practically religion in Australia. It has a very strong savoury/salty taste, and it's really like nothing I can describe. In England, they eat marmite, which is similar and not as strong in flavour. I use the bits in the empty jar for cooking to add extra flavour. I just put some boiling water in the jar and add to the slow cooker or make gravy with it. It's great also if you are suffering mouth ulcers, because of the high vitamin B content : )

Welcome to DC, QR. Another question -- does vegemite come from plants or is it an animal, like beef or mutton, product? And while I'm being nosy, what kind of cheese goes with such a strong flavor? And do you melt the cheese? Yesterday morning I had a slice of Swiss on a piece of sourdough bread, put in the toaster oven until melted. I'll bet that would be much too bland to suit you.

Welcome to DC, QR. Another question -- does vegemite come from plants or is it an animal, like beef or mutton, product? And while I'm being nosy, what kind of cheese goes with such a strong flavor? And do you melt the cheese? Yesterday morning I had a slice of Swiss on a piece of sourdough bread, put in the toaster oven until melted. I'll bet that would be much too bland to suit you.

Vegemite has a strong yeast flavor, like Brewer's Yeast on steroids. I love the stuff, RQ is right on when she says it makes a good gravy. I have a friend in Australia who sends me a 1 pound jar every year for Christmas.

I like to spread a thin layer on the bottom crust of quiche, all the seasoning it needs.

tinlizzie said:

Thanks tinlizzie! I just use the processed sandwich sliced cheese, I'm not sure what you guys call it in the US, but my friends and I refer to it as "plastic cheese" lol. I have it with whatever I can find though, mainly tasty cheese or cheddar. I prefer not to melt the cheese myself, only because I find the flavour is way to strong for me.
You definitely love it or hate it though, no in betweens. I love it, and my 17 month old son loves it, my brother on the other hand HATES it and our mum used to give him a teaspoon of it as punishment.
It's made from yeast extract, originally from the waste from breweries lol

Thanks tinlizzie! I just use the processed sandwich sliced cheese, I'm not sure what you guys call it in the US, but my friends and I refer to it as "plastic cheese" lol. I have it with whatever I can find though, mainly tasty cheese or cheddar. I prefer not to melt the cheese myself, only because I find the flavour is way to strong for me.
You definitely love it or hate it though, no in betweens. I love it, and my 17 month old son loves it, my brother on the other hand HATES it and our mum used to give him a teaspoon of it as punishment.
It's made from yeast extract, originally from the waste from breweries lol

Hmmm, Kylie, Princess F, and Queen R -- I'm getting curiouser and curiouser.

Vegemite has a strong yeast flavor, like Brewer's Yeast on steroids. I love the stuff, RQ is right on when she says it makes a good gravy. I have a friend in Australia who sends me a 1 pound jar every year for Christmas.

I like to spread a thin layer on the bottom crust of quiche, all the seasoning it needs.
Is it anything like miso paste? I love to mix a bit of miso with tahini and spread it on crackers...

Back
Top Bottom