What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sprout and her crew are visiting. Before she came up, I told her how I used to love eating breakfast at my Grandpa's house, with the poached eggs, made in little lift-out aluminum cups, from an egg poaching (steaming) pan, with toast and jelly, followed by pancakes with sausage, and sometimes, a bowl of Super Sugar Crisp preceding the eggs. I asked her if I could serve that kind of breakfast to my grand-daughters, as that is one of my fondest memories of my grandparents, how they loved me and made breakfast something beyond what I would ever get at home, even though breakfast at home was good, normal food. I wanted my Grand-daughters to know that at Grandpa's house, they were loved. Sprout said Ok.

Today's breakfast started with poached eggs on whole wheat toast, with juice. There were Bizmarks waiting for them, and the girls saw them. Of course, they instantly wanted the pastry, that is until they dug into the poached eggs. As both of them are toddlers with a sweet tooth, we were all surprised how much they loved the eggs, with the soft yolk and buttery flavor. They completely forgot about the bizmarks, and both asked for another egg. I made two more. They scarfed them down. You have to remember that I'm talking about a 3.5 and a 1.5 year old here. It made me feel great that they loved Grandpa's poached eggs so much.

Later today, we had brunch with friends, comprised of blueberry pancakes, with wild berries we'd picked, washed and froze last summer. We used my recipe for the batter, with Sprout making the batter and cooking the pancakes. She did a fantastic job. And you should see her flipping skills. Sides included home made breakfast sausage and bacon. Real maple syrup, honey, and Log Cabin Country Kitchen syrups were available for each person to choose from.

My Grand-Daughters finally were able to eat a meal, actually two meals that had most of the foods that I loved as a child at my Grandparent's home.

Sledding, a quick snowmowbile ride, and playing in the snow rounded out the day. You've heard the saying repeated so many times that it is somewhat cliche, but, it just doesn't get any better than this. But then again, if I had all of my kids, and grandkids home, I guiss that would be better.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day! You are truely blessed. Great memories to carry on for generations to come.:angel::angel:

When my children were starting their own families, I gave them the following advice.

1. You are obligated to keep your children safe.
2. Let them know that they are loved and always will be.
3. Always remember that family comes first.
4. And to give your children happy memories to carry through life.

For the most part, they haven't done too bad. I can honestly say, I am proud of them as parents. :angel:

When my children were starting their own families, I gave them the following advice.

For the most part, they haven't done too bad. I can honestly say, I am proud of them as parents. :angel:
Great values to pass on to your kids & live by!:angel:

There are only four little things I can add to your spectacular advise that I gave my kids: Teach them responsiblility, a good work ethic, accountability, and, I gave you a better environment than I grew up with, it's your job to step it up to the next level, every generation better than the one before.

I've noticed that the people here on DC tend to set the bar very high indeed on the importance of strong families. Makes me glad I'm a part of this family.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had a lovely pouched egg on a slice of whole grain toast dolloped with tatzhiki. Sliced apple too. Do you see my halo? =o)

Am I the only one who seems to just get into the habit of same thing every day? And oddly, I like it.

Last month or so I've been having mostly toasted "everything" bagel, lox, cream cheese and sliced onions. I look forward to it when I wake up my morning; I have to soak up my coffee then OJ before I feel like eating.

Too bad I'm out of lox. Looks like it's back to egg and cheese burrito for me tomorrow. Who knows? Maybe I'll switch back to that every day...

Or maybe I'll make a quiche. Depends on if my mushrooms are useable. I've had 'em for a couple weeks, stored in my patented paper bag method (it really works) and instead of getting yucky they just progressively dry out. I had a peek and they look like they might be good. I grabbed a piece of puff pastry dough out of the freezer to be prepared. I don't measure stuff for mini-quiches. I just nuke the veggies, press the dough into a custard dish, mix up egg, cream, cheese, maybe some salad croutons, then bake it. It always comes out good.

So I guess I don't know WTH I'm having tomorrow but it ain't gonna be lox.

Am I the only one who seems to just get into the habit of same thing every day? And oddly, I like it.

Last month or so I've been having mostly toasted "everything" bagel, lox, cream cheese and sliced onions. I look forward to it when I wake up my morning; I have to soak up my coffee then OJ before I feel like eating.

Too bad I'm out of lox. Looks like it's back to egg and cheese burrito for me tomorrow. Who knows? Maybe I'll switch back to that every day...

Or maybe I'll make a quiche. Depends on if my mushrooms are useable. I've had 'em for a couple weeks, stored in my patented paper bag method (it really works) and instead of getting yucky they just progressively dry out. I had a peek and they look like they might be good. I grabbed a piece of puff pastry dough out of the freezer to be prepared. I don't measure stuff for mini-quiches. I just nuke the veggies, press the dough into a custard dish, mix up egg, cream, cheese, maybe some salad croutons, then bake it. It always comes out good.

So I guess I don't know WTH I'm having tomorrow but it ain't gonna be lox.

I get on those "one food kicks" also. This past week it has been pasta and butter. For my second meal of the day it has been a couple of hard boiled eggs with butter. :angel:

Chickenkeeper's hash with two fried eggs. Chickenkeeper hash is a variation of Bombay potatoes to which one adds chick peas and bok choy.

Attachments

• van 045.jpg
    van 045.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 182
Finished up some cereal boxes in the cuboard for breakfast: a little bit of each: Frosted mini wheats, fiber one & cookie crisp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom