What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going on the hunt. I will try to find a food that is high in protein, fast to prepare and easy to eat. And hopefully it won't be meat. Who says you can't have brocolli for breakfst? Or anything that suits your fancy? :angel:
You can have broccoli for breakfast. You can eat whatever you want for breakfast. Quinoa is a great source of protein, as is flax porridge. Milk products + whole grain = complete protein. Nuts + grains or legumes or milk products = complete protein. I get my morning protein from eggs combined with a whole grain + veggies.

SB, how about a thin layer of natural peanut butter on a piece of grain bread? Or even a handful of nut that you can eat while you are on your way to work? Just make sure there is no sugar in the PB. :angel:

SB, how about a thin layer of natural peanut butter on a piece of grain bread? Or even a handful of nut that you can eat while you are on your way to work? Just make sure there is no sugar in the PB. :angel:
Or plain yogurt, no sugar added, to which you add nuts or a nut butter and some fresh fruit (if you must sweeten it up)?

Or plain yogurt, no sugar added, to which you add nuts or a nut butter and some fresh fruit (if you must sweeten it up)?

Great ideas CWS. The problem for SB is finding time to get the protein while she is trying to get ready for work and out the door. Anything that has to be cooked she would have to do at night after she comes home from work. I am sure there are nights when she just doesn't feel like cooking. Most grocery stores do sell nuts in bulk. It is much cheaper than buying the name brands. For a while she was eating the egg whites. But like she stated, that gets tired after a while.

Her very life depends on losing this weight. And I so do want her to succeed. :angel:

Another idea is to make a "Bombay potato" like dish with chickpeas or another legume for the evening meal with a side of quinoa/barley/brown rice, making enough for leftovers (I say Bombay potatoes, but I do this with my "hash"). . In the morning, while in the shower, nuke the leftover "Bombay potatoes with the grains mixed in" for 5 minutes. Top with hot sauce and eat that. It can be taken to work in a thermos. The chickpeas + grains provide whole protein.

Thank you very much CWS & Addie for the great tips on breakfast. I have never tried quinoa but I will get some & try it. As far as chick peas or beans, not an option for me in the morning. Working with the public all day I would be so bloated & gassey from that. I like the yogurt & nuts with fresh fruit, I will definitely start that as far as sugar free peanut butter, that is new to me as well, but it's worth a try. Thank you both for some great ideas on how to start my day. Sounds like a shopping trip tomorrow.

Thank you very much CWS & Addie for the great tips on breakfast. I have never tried quinoa but I will get some & try it. As far as chick peas or beans, not an option for me in the morning. Working with the public all day I would be so bloated & gassey from that. I like the yogurt & nuts with fresh fruit, I will definitely start that as far as sugar free peanut butter, that is new to me as well, but it's worth a try. Thank you both for some great ideas on how to start my day. Sounds like a shopping trip tomorrow.

With protein in the morning, you will be surprised at how much energy you have to start your day. On those mornings when you have a catered breakfast, it will seem like child's play. The protein also will help to use up those calories with the extra energy you get. Try to get some protein in with every meal. Instead of having a muffin, grab a handful of nuts for a quick pick-me-up. But only put one or two in your mouth at one time. You may have to talk to the public at just that moment. Do you have clothes with a pocket? Preferably a blouse with a pocket. You can keep the nuts in your pocket and grab one every so often. Also look at the bins with dried fruit. Dried apricots, apple slices, etc. One way of getting the fruit you need in your diet. You can carry them in your pocket also. Because it takes a bit longer to chew the dried fruit, you will feel like you have really eaten. The act of chewing fools your body into thinking it is getting a meal instead of just a snack. And you can dice the slices of the dried fruit, and put it in your yogurt the night before. By morning, they will have softened from absorbing some of the liquid from the yogurt. Just dice the slices of dried fruit.

I realize that at the end of your work day, you are tired. But please, no more McD's drive-thru's. Not unless it is for a quick salad.

And just to let you know, I do read every "what did you have for breakfast, lunch, supper." I look for your entry and find myself getting dismayed at some of your entries. I can tell when you have had a hard work day just by what you grabbed to eat. Whatever was quick and easy. Something that required no cooking or thought. It was sitting there and you didn't have the time to get something nutritious. "So I will grab that muffin and eat something healthy and right later on." By getting more protein into you, you will find yourself getting off that plateau you seem to be on right now.

When you grab something that is not going to be of help in losing weight, tell yourself you are allergic to that food. And you are. It will go right to your thighs and hips. You are so allergic that it will change your body shape. Would you put something on your face that would make you break out in warts and pimples? Then don't put something in your face that will make your hips, thighs and stomach change inside and out.

I love you and am pulling for yor sucess everyday. :angel: And one for you. :angel:

I made some haricot beans yesterday so I decided to turn some of them into homemade white bean hummus. I had provita multigrain crackers with some of the hummus for breakfast.
Very tasty :)

I made some haricot beans yesterday so I decided to turn some of them into homemade white bean hummus. I had provita multigrain crackers with some of the hummus for breakfast.
Very tasty :)
I love hummus and it is perfect for breakfast. I had leftover pork tenderloin and broccoli.

We usually have a little more elaborate breakfast on Sunday and the last couple of Sundays have been quite elegant, so today was more of a traditional breakfast.

We had soft scrambled eggs, bacon, toasted homemade English muffins with strawberry jam, juice and coffee. It was good and both our plates were clean.

With protein in the morning, you will be surprised at how much energy you have to start your day. On those mornings when you have a catered breakfast, it will seem like child's play. The protein also will help to use up those calories with the extra energy you get. Try to get some protein in with every meal. Instead of having a muffin, grab a handful of nuts for a quick pick-me-up. But only put one or two in your mouth at one time. You may have to talk to the public at just that moment. Do you have clothes with a pocket? Preferably a blouse with a pocket. You can keep the nuts in your pocket and grab one every so often. Also look at the bins with dried fruit. Dried apricots, apple slices, etc. One way of getting the fruit you need in your diet. You can carry them in your pocket also. Because it takes a bit longer to chew the dried fruit, you will feel like you have really eaten. The act of chewing fools your body into thinking it is getting a meal instead of just a snack. And you can dice the slices of the dried fruit, and put it in your yogurt the night before. By morning, they will have softened from absorbing some of the liquid from the yogurt. Just dice the slices of dried fruit.

I realize that at the end of your work day, you are tired. But please, no more McD's drive-thru's. Not unless it is for a quick salad.

And just to let you know, I do read every "what did you have for breakfast, lunch, supper." I look for your entry and find myself getting dismayed at some of your entries. I can tell when you have had a hard work day just by what you grabbed to eat. Whatever was quick and easy. Something that required no cooking or thought. It was sitting there and you didn't have the time to get something nutritious. "So I will grab that muffin and eat something healthy and right later on." By getting more protein into you, you will find yourself getting off that plateau you seem to be on right now.

When you grab something that is not going to be of help in losing weight, tell yourself you are allergic to that food. And you are. It will go right to your thighs and hips. You are so allergic that it will change your body shape. Would you put something on your face that would make you break out in warts and pimples? Then don't put something in your face that will make your hips, thighs and stomach change inside and out.

I love you and am pulling for yor sucess everyday. :angel: And one for you. :angel:
You might want to check out this link:

10 high-protein breakfast ideas that don't involve eggs | Well+Good NYC

Chia seeds will add protein. If you like soybeans (and they don't cause gas), you could possibly find a soybean to mix in with the nuts. Cut out the bread. I use a bed of steamed greens or a big slice of tomato as the "delivery device" for my poached eggs. If you can't find time to have breakfast, take some thinly sliced ham and make asparagus-ham-cheese rollups, smear the ham with a bit of mustard. You can do the same with roast beef or roast turkey/chicken. Take a couple of those for breakfast finger food. Bring a bag of chopped veggies (broccoli, carrots, celery, cauliflower, green peppers) and a little container of cottage cheese to which dill, s&P and garlic are added for dip. I can manage to eat something like that on the drive. Or, celery with almond/peanut butter, add the raisins for the old-fashioned ants on a log...

But you REALLY have to check your teeth after eating chia seeds before going out in public. The gel around the seeds swells up and glues itself between the teeth. Even a Placker is not foolproof, visual inspection and a toothpick is the only way to go.

Now that would make me crazy...:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom