What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two poached eggs on a bed of steamed baby spinach, a side of 1/2 c grits topped with sirarchi (sp) sauce. That should keep me fueled up to get through 2.5 hours of conference calls this afternoon.
I popped the grits in the microwave while I took my shower and had the spinach steaming at the same time. This breakfast took under 10 minutes to make. You can do this.

Attachments

• snow 001.jpg
    snow 001.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 193
I popped the grits in the microwave while I took my shower and had the spinach steaming at the same time. This breakfast took under 10 minutes to make. You can do this.

Nice!:punk: Those poached eggs look perfect. When I make poached eggs, I season the water with salt and pepper, I bring it to a boil, then back it off until the water is still. I gently put the eggs in, and let sit until done. I guess my version is called a coddled egg. In any case, the egg white stays in one mass, with the yolk in the middle, where it belongs. Your eggs look like that.

For me, it was two very nicely doen soft-boiled eggs on a piece of toast, and a glass of milk.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the Nroth

Nice!:punk: Those poached eggs look perfect. When I make poached eggs, I season the water with salt and pepper, I bring it to a boil, then back it off until the water is still. I gently put the eggs in, and let sit until done. I guess my version is called a coddled egg. In any case, the egg white stays in one mass, with the yolk in the middle, where it belongs. Your eggs look like that.

For me, it was two very nicely doen soft-boiled eggs on a piece of toast, and a glass of milk.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the Nroth
Thanks, Chief. I used two eggs that were still warm...the fresher the egg, the less likely the white and yolk separate. I used to have (probably still do, somewhere) egg coddlers...

I really, really wish you would stop eating that packaged stuff that has sugar added. Nuts, plain yogurt, veggies...but frosted mini-wheats and captain crunch. Get that stuff out of your cupboards,. please. Your life depends on it and if you are feeding this to your child, your child's life depends on it. Please?! I care about you.
I really do appreciate your concern about our health & well being. You really do make me think about what I'm eating, especially lately, before I put anything in my mouth. I have changed my cereal choice to great grains cereal with skim milk & 100% wheat, light bread. I even went out & got some quinoa, I'm thinking that one will take some getting used too. ;)

I get it, CWS. But she's an adult and can make her own choices. I know you want to be supportive, but from here, it feels like nagging, which usually backfires.
Thanks for your support! It's paid off for me though. Back on track with heathier grains & working on that protein. I've lost 2# this week!

I was, in my earlier years, arrogant about my ability to eat anything and not gain weight. I scoffed at the "nuts" who said you have to eat whole grains, limit sugar, and eat healthy food in general. I was immune to health issues that others had, or so I thought. My idea of a diet soda was to drink half a glass of full sugar root beer. Then, it all caught up with me. I learned about the importance of good nutrition. I learned that Captain Crunch could kill me. Over the years, since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I watched DW's oldest broth die of diabetic complications. I watched one of my best childhood friends die of diabetic complications. They didn't control what they ate, and figured that leaving the skins on when mashing the potatoes was good enough.

Diet is far more important than most people realize. It's the difference between a good life, and a life riddled with pain, and the inability to do the things you want to do, like stick around for the grandkids.

Food related illness is epidemic in this nation, because we've been taught to eat unhealthy by those who profit from selling the unhealthy garbage to everyone who they can con into buying it.

There are scientists in the major food organizations whose job it is to, for all practical purposes, make food just shy of addicting, by adding those things we naturally, or unaturally crave, such as fats, sugars, and starches. And the fats and sugars aren't even ones that have any nutritional value. They use the cheapest they can find to maximize profit.

I've been listening to too much NPR radio lately. And beyond that, I've seen how short term profits outweigh virtually every other aspect of our society. If someone can legally get away with taking short cuts, healthy or not, to maximize profits, they will.

And so I echo CWS4322. I wish someone could have gotten through to me when I was young enough that it would have made a difference. But then again, GotGarlic certainly has a point. Nagging just makes most of us rebel, even against things that will benefit us.

I said it last week, somewhere in this thread, we love to cook, we know how to cook, we know about nutrition, and still we eat things that slowly drag us down a path that leads to sorrow and pain. I've seen and experienced that pain first hand, with my BIL, and one of my best friends. I hope my children never have to experience because I did stupid things with my diet.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Very well said cheif!! Thank you! Your comments tied it all together for me! I have re read it several times. It sounds like wonderful advice & reminds me of something my brother would say to set me straight. I very much appreciate your concern & support.:)

Today for breakfast was great grains cereal with skim milk & coffee w/ sugar free creamer.

That's great, SB! Even if the quinoa says that it is "rinsed," I still rinse it well. This is one of my favorite ways to prepare quinoa (I substitute quinoa for the bulgur). I've made it with sweet potatoes, carrots, or winter squash. It is very filling and it is good warm, cold as a salad with a bit of EVOO added right before serving, or hot. I often make it for lunch on the weekends. I often eat the leftovers as a salad for lunch, but there is no reason why you couldn't nuke it and then put it in a thermos to eat it warm.

Recipe Details

Last edited:
Had a good spaghetti sauce last night, one with lots of veggies in it, and bite-sized chunks of ground beef. Had it for breakfast this morning, on a slice of whole wheat toast, chased by a small glass of milk. I love left-over spaghetti sauce.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm waiting for the whole-wheat pasta to finish. I'm having a side of that this morning with my poached eggs and steamed green beans. I still have shoveling to do and figured some carbs probably are a good idea.

I'm waiting for the whole-wheat pasta to finish. I'm having a side of that this morning with my poached eggs and steamed green beans. I still have shoveling to do and figured some carbs probably are a good idea.
I changed my mind--did a light version of pasta carbonara, tossed the steamed beans in at the end. Whole wheat pasta takes less time to cook, but one could cook the pasta the evening before and just reheat it.

Crandberry almond greatb grains cereal w skim milk, regular coffee w sf creamer & half a banana.

Back
Top Bottom