What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got your little pad of gold stars handy, CWS? This morning was steamed Swiss chard on brown rice, sauteed mushrooms and an egg on top. Had already had my small cup of coffee w/hazelnut creamer & sugar.

I agree with what you said on another thread about not craving the chips so much anymore. In fact, the same goes for sweets, and most everything seems to taste better -- more pronounced intensity of flavor. Not that I don't enjoy a dessert; I just don't have that serious craving. :)
I have PLATINUM stars for you!

Isn't it cool how the craving for the chips diminishes? My treat every now and again is air popped popcorn with my friend's homemade curry powder and some (very little) coconut oil. And, it took me a week to eat the four little Easter chocolates a friend dropped off. I still have cake leftover from Easter. I gave most of it away, but kept four slices (thin slices) for myself. I served one to a friend who dropped by for tea today and still have to either eat the other three, freeze them, or feed them to the chickens. I've added Snip's cayenne-lemon tea (also known as how to induce hot-flashes tea). I have so much energy today, I can't believe it. Usually by this time of day, I'm ready to call it a day. Not today. I'm still plugging away at a task that was very tedious last week (my brain was fried by 2:00 p.m. and I needed a nap). If you decide to try it, check with Snip re: how much cayenne to use (I sorta overdid it this morning and I had another cup around 2:00 p.m.--had to drive the DH to the airport--on the way home, I was ready to strip down to my unmentionables and drive home that way--warm!). But that was right around the time of day that the hormones that control one's metabolism would be kicking in. Most hormones that I know about work on a 12-hour schedule.

Seriously, though, CWS. Do you know what is happening physiologically that accounts for the diminished cravings? I don't think it's just a matter of habit, rather something causes a phasing out of the fat, sugar, salt (mild) addiction, readjusting taste buds in the process.

In fact, any of you knowledgeable folks, chime in & enlighten me! TIA.

It was her holiday break. And there are no calories in Mom's love. :angel:
I like how you & PF think!!:angel::angel:

Back on track today with 2 slices of light wheat bread. 1 slice with pb & sf jelly & 1 slice with laughing cow cheese & sf jelly. A 1/2 beef stick & coffee/creamer.

this morning, my boy and i had devilled easter eggs (that seems wrong, no?), and thick slices of rye bread and butter. v-8 twist for him; extra pulp oj for me.

i like to chew my oj.

this morning, my boy and i had devilled easter eggs (that seems wrong, no?), and thick slices of rye bread and butter. v-8 twist for him; extra pulp oj for me.

i like to chew my oj.

:LOL: I love chewy OJ too. Can't understand the pulp-free trend, what's the point?

Had the usual skim milk and Lo-Sod V-8.

Seriously, though, CWS. Do you know what is happening physiologically that accounts for the diminished cravings? I don't think it's just a matter of habit, rather something causes a phasing out of the fat, sugar, salt (mild) addiction, readjusting taste buds in the process.

In fact, any of you knowledgeable folks, chime in & enlighten me! TIA.

If you are getting what you need at breakfast, you don't go "looking"(cravings) for something later on. The breakfasts you are eating are sticking with you longer, the whole grains take longer to digest, same as the egg.

I do have salt cravings, I know because I think chips would taste good, I think canned tomatoes with salt and pepper would be good, bacon, pepperoni...they all have salt in common. So my next snack, usually almond butter, I add some sea salt. I stop looking for something salty to eat.

I like to play with my oatmeal. We had dinner at a restaurant in coastal CT restaurant that had an interesting brunch menu. They offered a fruit and nut oatmeal that sounded...creative. I thought "I can do creative at home!"

I use old-fashioned oatmeal, not quick cook. My favorite combos are:
~dried cherries/unsweetened coconut flakes/toasted almond slivers, chopped
~dried cranberries/toasted walnuts/cinnamon/touch of brown sugar/lemon zest
~blueberries and toasted almond slices
~dried apricots and almonds
~toasted walnuts/diced apples/cinnamon

As a bonus, my cholesterol improved with all the oatmeal I've been eating! :LOL:

I have PLATINUM stars for you!

Isn't it cool how the craving for the chips diminishes? My treat every now and again is air popped popcorn with my friend's homemade curry powder and some (very little) coconut oil. And, it took me a week to eat the four little Easter chocolates a friend dropped off. I still have cake leftover from Easter. I gave most of it away, but kept four slices (thin slices) for myself. I served one to a friend who dropped by for tea today and still have to either eat the other three, freeze them, or feed them to the chickens. I've added Snip's cayenne-lemon tea (also known as how to induce hot-flashes tea). I have so much energy today, I can't believe it. Usually by this time of day, I'm ready to call it a day. Not today. I'm still plugging away at a task that was very tedious last week (my brain was fried by 2:00 p.m. and I needed a nap). If you decide to try it, check with Snip re: how much cayenne to use (I sorta overdid it this morning and I had another cup around 2:00 p.m.--had to drive the DH to the airport--on the way home, I was ready to strip down to my unmentionables and drive home that way--warm!). But that was right around the time of day that the hormones that control one's metabolism would be kicking in. Most hormones that I know about work on a 12-hour schedule.

You can start with 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp and work up to 1 tsp as you get used to it. I couldn't handle a full tsp in the beginning either.

If you are getting what you need at breakfast, you don't go "looking"(cravings) for something later on. The breakfasts you are eating are sticking with you longer, the whole grains take longer to digest, same as the egg.

I do have salt cravings, I know because I think chips would taste good, I think canned tomatoes with salt and pepper would be good, bacon, pepperoni...they all have salt in common. So my next snack, usually almond butter, I add some sea salt. I stop looking for something salty to eat.
That's what I've found--if I have protein and grains in the morning, I don't have "junk food" cravings later (not keeping junk food in the house helps--no junk food to eat). It works for me. PF--have a glass of water with a shot of vinegar or lemon juice when you think that. It worked for me.

i like to chew my oj.
I'm thinking today's breakfast will be two curried pickled eggs made into egg salad (using tofonnaise--could I get any healthier?) on a fresh pita with leaf lettuce and watercress, a glass of beet-carrot-pineapple juice (I'll probably be able to chew that, too).

I had so many eggs (there was an old woman who lived in a shoe, she had so many chickens who layed eggs, she didn't know what to do) that I pickled a bunch (4 dozen) and tried three different recipes. I like the curried eggs. The beet and traditional are so-so. I think the curried ones will be great in egg salad.

Last edited:
Changed my mind--

Today's breakfast was inspired by:

Best Recipes Ever - Glazed Salmon Bundles With Sesame Bok Choy

I took 2 rice wrappers, soaked them, put carrot, watercress, wild rice, a slice of Canadian bacon, followed the instructions for cooking (brushed with a bit of soy sauce). In the meantime, I scrambled 2 eggs and made my juice, didn't use all the beet, so grated the rest of the beet and put that on the plate with a bit of ground pepper on top. Served the "packets" on a bed of lettuce, topped the eggs with srirarchi (the new ketchup). Oh, and started the morning off with a cup of Snip's cayenne-lemon tea. Batteries died, but I think I got one or two pics.

And the "packets" were frigging good.

Last edited:
Changed my mind--

I took 2 rice wrappers, soaked them, put carrot, watercress, wild rice, a slice of Canadian bacon, followed the instructions for cooking (brushed with a bit of soy sauce). In the meantime, I scrambled 2 eggs and made my juice, didn't use all the beet, so grated the rest of the beet and put that on the plate with a bit of ground pepper on top. Served the "packets" on a bed of lettuce, topped the eggs with srirarchi (the new ketchup). Oh, and started the morning off with a cup of Snip's cayenne-lemon tea. Batteries died, but I think I got one or two pics.

That sounds bloody good! I love fresh spring rolls :yum:
Last time I bought some "rice wrappers" I bought regular rice paper sheets by mistake :rolleyes:
The kids are eating it now. Haven't got a clue what to do with them!

That's what I've found--if I have protein and grains in the morning, I don't have "junk food" cravings later (not keeping junk food in the house helps--no junk food to eat). It works for me. PF--have a glass of water with a shot of vinegar or lemon juice when you think that. It worked for me.

Since I am not using salt at all, I know when I need some. I do have an apple cider vinegar beverage daily.

That sounds bloody good! I love fresh spring rolls :yum:
Last time I bought some "rice wrappers" I bought regular rice paper sheets by mistake :rolleyes:
The kids are eating it now. Haven't got a clue what to do with them!
Are they the white ones that are hard? If so, those are the ones that you put in warm water for 30 seconds to soften and then wrap stuff in. That's what I used this morning. Do one at a time--otherwise they get too soft and tear.

Like these?

Spring roll wrappers (rice paper)- Erawan brand, 16 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Since I am not using salt at all, I know when I need some. I do have an apple cider vinegar beverage daily.

Just be careful with vinegar and lemon! I speak from experience. I over did the lemon and vinegar for a while and it removed some of the enamel off my teeth :(

The dentist said I must drink all my cold acidic drinks through a straw to prevent direct contact with my teeth and to eat a small piece of cheese or a bit of natural plain yogurt before bed to neutralize acid.

Last edited:
Just be careful with vinegar and lemon! I speak from experience. I over did the lemon and vinegar for a while and it removed some of the enamel off my teeth :(

The dentist said I must drink all my cold acidic drinks through a straw to prevent direct contact with my teeth and to eat a small piece of cheese or a bit of natural plain yogurt before bed to neutralize acid.

I keep my teeth in a glass when I'm not using them...:ROFLMAO: I like my vinegar drink, not giving it up for anything.

Changed my mind--

Here's a pic (that's diced steamed eggplant on top of the 'packets'):

Attachments

• breakfast rolls 004.jpg
    breakfast rolls 004.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom