What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been over 100F here already a couple times, so cooked oatmeal has lost it's appeal. But I did find a wonderful alternative ~ Sprouted Cold Oatmeal.

The recipe isn't written in stone, sub in whatever you like or whatever you have on hand. Just try to keep the portions similar so that it sets up to the right consistency. It needs about 8 hours in the fridge before it's ready.

1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup liquid (milk of some kind: cow, rice, cashew, almond, coconut)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt, kefir milk or kefir cheese (for fermentation to "sprout" the oats, has to have the live cultures for this to work properly)
1 T chia seeds (super healthy omega-3s, fiber, protein, etc and necessary to thicken the oat mixture)
1 T sweetener or less, to taste (maple syrup, honey, date syrup (process dates in a food process with a bit of hot water until a creamy consistency and use in everything!), if I use Vanilla or Honey Greek yogurt I don't use as much sweetener
1/4 cup fruit, fresh, frozen or dried

Can sprinkle with nuts, seeds, unsweetened coconut, etc! at serving time

Can easily double or triple the recipe. I can't say exactly how long it lasts once made because it tends to disappear rather quickly. (Hey, if someone wants to snack on this before bed instead of chips or cookies or whatever I'm sure not gonna complain!) But I do know it's still fine on a Wed night after having made it on a Sunday. :chef:

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe Zereh :)

It's been over 100F here already a couple times, so cooked oatmeal has lost it's appeal. But I did find a wonderful alternative ~ Sprouted Cold Oatmeal.

The recipe isn't written in stone, sub in whatever you like or whatever you have on hand. Just try to keep the portions similar so that it sets up to the right consistency. It needs about 8 hours in the fridge before it's ready.

1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup liquid (milk of some kind: cow, rice, cashew, almond, coconut)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt, kefir milk or kefir cheese (for fermentation to "sprout" the oats, has to have the live cultures for this to work properly)
1 T chia seeds (super healthy omega-3s, fiber, protein, etc and necessary to thicken the oat mixture)
1 T sweetener or less, to taste (maple syrup, honey, date syrup (process dates in a food process with a bit of hot water until a creamy consistency and use in everything!), if I use Vanilla or Honey Greek yogurt I don't use as much sweetener
1/4 cup fruit, fresh, frozen or dried

Can sprinkle with nuts, seeds, unsweetened coconut, etc! at serving time

Can easily double or triple the recipe. I can't say exactly how long it lasts once made because it tends to disappear rather quickly. (Hey, if someone wants to snack on this before bed instead of chips or cookies or whatever I'm sure not gonna complain!) But I do know it's still fine on a Wed night after having made it on a Sunday. :chef:

Sounds like you are back on your diet. But don't forget the protein. Specially in the morning. :angel:
I have been cutting back on protein with just 1 kidney now. Not sure how much difference it will make. Doc said I could go back to regular diet but still continue to struggle w protein. Nuts & meats tend to give me a real gut ache. Hope as time goes I will get an appetite back for it.:angel: Thanks for noticing.:angel:

Just cereal again today w coffee/creamer.

sushi for breakfast sounds good.

sushi anytime sounds good, but since i happen to like fish for brekkie. whitefish salad on a bagel, smoked trout omelette, smoked herring and toast, even tuna salad on a bagel, so sushi would fit right in.

i went a different direction this morning, though. and yesterday morning. i had two nathan's hot dogs on soft white bread with a glass of iced tea each day.
in a way, i had sausage, bread, and tea. that's knd of a normal breakfast, right?

Last edited:
Today was a cudaghi sausage patti, nuked to warm it up, chased with a handful of Cherios and a glass of milk. Yesterday's breakfast was leftover linguine with Sunday gravy, and Asiago, and Parmigiano cheese.

Adn I can already tell you what I'll be having tomorrow. It's the anuall pancake breakfast in my old Church in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. I get tagged every year as the pancake cook. We also have real maple syrup (from St. Joseph Island), with bacon and sausage. We usually feed between 50 and 100 people. I become a pancake making machine:ohmy::chef:.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm making a breakfast sandwich with homemade sausage, a cross between an omelet and a scrambled egg, and Havarti on an English muffin. Grapes on the side.

Back
Top Bottom