What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kind of went overboard on the kale today. I have curly, purple, and dino. So....since I'm trying to come up with a "green" side to go with the German pork tenderloin and potato pancakes recipes I'm testing this week...I stemmed (is that a word--for removing the stems?) the purple and dino kale, cut it in skinny ribbons, wilted it in GOOSE fat and tossed in some roasted sliced almonds, dried cranberries, a bit of smoked paprika, garlic, and dressed it with a vinaigrette using apple cider, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, and maple syrup. That was yummy. But then, I had to do something else. Since I had made rice of the prairies, I drained some of that and "popped" it in a hot skillet with GOOSE fat, took some warm kale, red onion, and dressed that with the same vinaigrette but I added a smidge of Dijon mustard. I massaged that in to the lightly cooked kale and then topped it with the popped grass of the prairies. OMG, I am addicted to popped grass of the prairies in a kale "salad" topped with a poached egg.

View attachment 22166

I smoke Trout fillets (and Salmon) for my Dear Husband
and serve it with Heirloom Tomatoes
TJ's Whole Wheat Italian bread, lightly toasted no butter please
and scrambled eggs

That's what's for Sunday Brunch this week
(I'm just having the toast and eggs, allergic dontcha-know)

I'm coming to your house for breakfast:LOL:. That looks so good.

My blood sugar was in the low-normal range this morning, so I treated myself to some whole wheat toast with butter and blueberry jelly. A couple of gently poached eggs with breakfast sausage links round out breakfast. I poach the eggs in hot, not boiliing or even simmering water. The water is salted so as to season the eggs. They come out so tender and tasty that way, with the soft-runny yolk taking the star roll.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm coming to your house for breakfast:LOL:. That looks so good.

My blood sugar was in the low-normal range this morning, so I treated myself to some whole wheat toast with butter and blueberry jelly. A couple of gently poached eggs with breakfast sausage links round out breakfast. I poach the eggs in hot, not boiliing or even simmering water. The water is salted so as to season the eggs. They come out so tender and tasty that way, with the soft-runny yolk taking the star roll.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love a good runny yolk, poached, soft boiled, over easy, I don't care... but they don't like me any more. For some reason, I get the worst stomach ache of my life if I eat eggs that are not scrambled or hard cooked.
When I was young, single and lived alone, I ate alot of eggs with steamed white rice... it's a cheap and friendly.

I love a good runny yolk, poached, soft boiled, over easy, I don't care... but they don't like me any more. For some reason, I get the worst stomach ache of my life if I eat eggs that are not scrambled or hard cooked.
When I was young, single and lived alone, I ate alot of eggs with steamed white rice... it's a cheap and friendly.

Don't know your idea of what the next life will be like. But I believe we will have perfected bodies, in their prime. And I have no idea what we will use to keep up our energy levels, but if those bodies are like these bodies, they have teeth. And if we have teeth, I would assume that we will eat something. And with perfect bodies, no allergies, not stomach or intestinal issues, no diabetes, or other diet related problems either. I think we will know how to make wonderful food that is good for us, and that won't cause obesity, or other problems. We will learn how to moderate, and truly enjoy life, and understand the things that are truly important, while discarding those that seem important here, but really aren't.

You just might get to eat eggs with runny yolks again.;)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

DH is going a Fall League Baseball game with his buddies today,
so I made a cheat large-ish breakfast of
Pillsbury pop`n fresh Cinnabon Cinnamon rolls
BACON
Fresh Arizona grown cantalope
scambled eggs
juice and coffee (green tea for moi)

this way maybe he won't have too many hot dogs at the ball park
:LOL: yeah right, like that's gonna happen

Leftovers from a previous recipe (it called for deseeded tomatoes and some anchovies), so.....I had anchovies on toast with some tomato pulpy seeds! Refreshing combo!

I remember hearing or reading something about runny yolks and folks of certain ages, that we, I mean, some folks shouldn't eat them any longer, something about it making you sick? Immune systems or something of the sort, my mind fails me at times :blink:

:wacko: Join the club. I hate it when it is right on the tip of my tongue and it won't come out. Pull thread, unravel tongue. :angel:

The elderly have compromised immune systems so shouldn't risk exposure to harmful bacteria such as salmonella. Eggs are known to be a possible source of salmonella so we are instructed to cook them so the yolks are no longer liquid to ensure any bacteria are killed off.

At one time I was eating eggs every single day. A quick egg sandwich with a runny yolk instead of cooking myself a meal after coming home from work. I would make something for Poo, but just an egg sandwich for me. For the past year or more I very rarely eat an egg now. I think it may be that because I don't have any bread in the house, I just don't think of eggs as a meal anymore. Poached eggs, egg sandwich, hard boiled eggs, egg salad, etc. I love all of them. I should keep a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge so I can grab one when I think of eating. :angel:

Oh, and today's breakfast was two poached eggs on a bed of steamed kale with polenta (fried in goose fat) on the side (never knew polenta could be so tasty--reminded me of those fast-food joint hashbrowns). Addie, if you can eat spinach, poached eggs delivered on spinach (kale/swiss chard/beet greens) or sliced tomato works for me.

Addie, I keep a couple of hard cooked eggs in a bowl in the `fridge, that way DH has something to grab at all times. I also keep cut up washed and cut up fruits like grapes or cantaloupe or honeydew, all different 'good things' to eat so he won't ask for stuff he shouldn't have... ;)

When the kids were small, I kept a glass with lightly salted water and put celery sticks and carrots sticks in them. I always kept them at the front of the fridge so the kids would see them and grab them first. If you asked them today, they would all say how they hate carrots, but will fight over who is going to get that last bit of creamed carrots in the bowl. Another hate is apples. Yet they will lick the pie plate that I had the pie in. Funny how they hate this and that and then some other item, yet clean their plate when you make a dish that they remember from childhood. I am always shaking my head in wonderment at them. :angel:

Pulled pork with coleslaw, lettuce + tomato in a bun (take away at a deli).

I see that McDonalds are now doing pulled chicken burger. I remarked upon this to the burger vendor, i.e. saying that it didn't make much sense since pulling meat was about tenderising tougher joints by slow cooking - that chicken didn't need this. He agreed and said it was just cashing in on a fad. Has anyone tried one? If so, how was it?

Back
Top Bottom