What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have "an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle" for that job...

I had one of those. Never shot anybody's eye out, or even anyone. I did shoot a squirrel, three times, right between the eyes. He just stood on the tree branch and looked at me, as if to say, "Is that all you got?". Good thing he wasn't a killer squirrel, or I'd not be typing this right now. Gotta go. DW's waitin' for me so she can have someone wait on her, hand and foot, and everything in between. If it didn't cost so much, I'd get sick too. I could lay around in bed all day, and ask someone to make me breakfast, lunch, and dinner, take care of any and all household chores, yard chores, gardening chores, financial chores, and cater to my every whim. And, I'd probably get to enjoy a solid 8 hours of sleep for a change. while:LOL:

Seriously though, it's driving her crazy not to be able to do anything for three months or more. I might as well be in crazy-town with her.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had one of those. Never shot anybody's eye out, or even anyone. I did shoot a squirrel, three times, right between the eyes. He just stood on the tree branch and looked at me, as if to say, "Is that all you got?". Good thing he wasn't a killer squirrel, or I'd not be typing this right now. Gotta go. DW's waitin' for me so she can have someone wait on her, hand and foot, and everything in between. If it didn't cost so much, I'd get sick too. I could lay around in bed all day, and ask someone to make me breakfast, lunch, and dinner, take care of any and all household chores, yard chores, gardening chores, financial chores, and cater to my every whim. And, I'd probably get to enjoy a solid 8 hours of sleep for a change. while:LOL:

Seriously though, it's driving her crazy not to be able to do anything for three months or more. I might as well be in crazy-town with her.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, the secret is to do like mothers of a newborn know. Sleep when the baby does. She is not active, so she doesn't get tired like you do. Take a nap or sleep when she does. Does your insurance cover a home aide? If so, you really should take advantage of it for however long it is covered. Even if she does just the housework.

I know just how difficult these days must be for you. If she can sit up in bed or even move to a chair during the day, try to find books she might be interested in reading. Just sitting up can make a patient tired. She has to use muscles to sit up. And that little activity can be tiring. It is best if she does this just prior to bed time for the night.

You are a good man Chief. And I am positive that DW knows this and loves you even more. And you haven't lost your sense of humor. That definitely is a good thing. As Martha Stewart is wont to say. :angel:

(Boy, I am new here and it amazes me how these threads quickly spiral off into realms unknown. That is human nature, not a criticism, but I like to talk about food.)

What I eat, when I'm not entertaining, is congee. A billion people eat it for breakfast: I eat it for lunch and dinner too. I make a big pot and it changes as the week goes along, with the occasional assault of a whole cauliflower, or smoked haddock. It doesn't bore me. It's what you need when you can't imagine eating anything, ever again. (Oh, and change your Saturday night routine while you're at it, OK?) I'll check-see if there's a decent recipe here and if not, will provide the loosest recipe imaginable.

Our visit to the breakfast world during the week is pretty mundane and most often involves cereal of some form, along with a variety of juices and some sort of fresh fruit.

Sunday breakfast, on the other hand, is usually more extravagant and involved.

Since Glenn's birthday is a few days away, I decided to begin his celebration week by making him one of his favorite breakfasts...with a twist.

Yesterday, we had fried local thick bacon, soft scrambled eggs and Cajun fried potatoes, coffee and fresh orange juice.

He particularly likes fried potatoes for breakfast and he also likes hot/spicy foods. In view of that, I barely boiled some little red potatoes with some salt and liquid crab boil. Let them drain until very dry. Fried them with some chopped onions in bacon drippings. Yep. He really enjoyed them. Will definitely do this again.

Crepes, w/ strawberries, blue berries & cherries.

img_1472429_0_c50785d0e5cea8c695b8bb67e0cd1b42.jpg

I made some corned beef hash with over-easy eggs for Craig. He always gets that when we go out for breakfast, as long as it's made in-house. There's one place that makes his favorite but it's kind of far now since we moved so thought I'd give it a whirl. He said it was pretty good, just needs some tweaks so I'll be writing what I did down and we'll go from there. It took forever for the prep. 1/4 dice on potatoes, peppers and onions takes a really long time to do. He likes the corned beef shredded so did that in the food processor. I think I'll put the onions in the food processor next time too.

He is nearly positive the place that he likes the best puts 1/4 dice half-sour pickles in their hash. Not a whole bunch of it, like maybe a teaspoon or 2 to a cup of everything else. Anybody ever hear of that?

I made some corned beef hash with over-easy eggs for Craig ... It took forever for the prep. 1/4 dice on potatoes, peppers and onions takes a really long time to do.

Something I found that works well is to spread the cubed spuds on the microwave turntable and zap them for a few minutes. It gets them to where they only take as long as the peppers to cook, and for free it dries their outsides so they're primed for browning. I caramelize the onions in the slow cooker separately on a timer (while I'm asleep), then sear the spuds on their own before adding the peppers and (eventually) the onions.

I've only made corned beef once. I don't like those supermarket "pre-seasoned" slabs because they never seem to contain good-quality beef. It took me ten days, starting with a pastured brisket, and it was worthwhile (though expensive). I meant to keep some for hash, but it got eaten too quickly.

That said, I have to admit that I was partially-raised on enormous cans of Argentinian "bully beef," as we call it in Britain, and it makes wonderful hash.

We've made corned beef many times, use David Rosengarten's recipe. He made it on his Food Network show long ago when FN was just starting, Taste was in the name.

With everything cut that small, it didn't take very long to cook, and the onions aren't caramelized in the deli dish I'm am trying to copycat. Need to get the basic recipe nailed first.

It took forever for the prep. 1/4 dice on potatoes, peppers and onions takes a really long time to do...

He is nearly positive the place that he likes the best puts 1/4 dice half-sour pickles in their hash. Not a whole bunch of it, like maybe a teaspoon or 2 to a cup of everything else. Anybody ever hear of that?

I'm surprised you guys don't have a mandolin, considering all the other kitchen gear you have ;)

I don't like corned beef, so I've never made the hash, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that some people put pickles in it. The acidity would be nice with the richness of the meat.

I'm surprised you guys don't have a mandolin, considering all the other kitchen gear you have ;)

I don't like corned beef, so I've never made the hash, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that some people put pickles in it. The acidity would be nice with the richness of the meat.

We do and have for 20+ years, a French stainless one, but the guard is long gone and the blades to cut in 1/4 logs are too dangerous to even contemplate. I'll slice stuff on it, but those daggers without a guard, just no. I need my fingers. Besides that didn't even think about it.

We do and have for 20+ years, a French stainless one, but the guard is long gone and the blades to cut in 1/4 logs are too dangerous to even contemplate. I'll slice stuff on it, but those daggers without a guard, just no. I need my fingers. Besides that didn't even think about it.

I can usually work a big scary one just fine, but it always made me nervous until I bought some Kevlar gauntlets. They're not the most comfortable things in the world, but they work fine for mandolining.

(They also worked fine for the purpose I bought them: to feed a cat medicine it did NOT want to take. Turns out the gloves weren't enough to protect me, so I also donned my leather shop apron and thought I was Invincible Man, until I discovered that bitten fingers hurt just as much when covered in Kevlar.)

I usually have coffee with 2-4 cigarettes. But this morning I woke up hungry and after coffee I had a big plate of salty biscuits with cream cheese.

I usually have coffee with 2-4 cigarettes. But this morning I woke up hungry and after coffee I had a big plate of salty biscuits with cream cheese.

When I was younger coffee and cigarettes was my breakfast, my grandmother always scowled and called it "a whore's breakfast!". :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Welcome to DC!

OK I now have a membership to a Wholesale Whorehouse type store near me BJ's (not Sams), and I got this big restaurant purchase style bag of frozen diced peppers and onions. Now I usually would want to buy my peppers and onions from a farm market, etc... because I am a pretentious jerk, but there is something cool about having ten pounds of it, pre-diced, in the freezer. If you notice showing up a bit peppers and onions in my recipes, um... I plead the fifth.

So this morning I poached some eggs, we had leftover sourdough bread from a picnic we went to this weekend, that was going to go off, so I cubed that, warmed it with said frozen peppers and onions and a little garlic, and kind of made a warm bread pudding to serve the poachers over? So as I sort of had an Eggs Benedict vibe going, I made a sauce, which was a balsamic vinegar reduction and some maple syrup.

So then I woke up Beloved Wife, who seemed to like it, generally I don't get cooking until evening times, so she is now looking at what transgressions I was preemptively apologizing for. Which means I am happy and all is well in the world.

Best,

TBS

When I was younger coffee and cigarettes was my breakfast, my grandmother always scowled and called it "a whore's breakfast!". :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Welcome to DC!

So, if I have a glass of orange juice with that...would it be a "Call Girl's Breakfast"?:ROFLMAO::LOL:

I'm having a version of the traditional Turkish breakfast for the summer. Toasted baguette topped with local honey, Muenster cheese and Penzeys Pie Spice, deviled eggs, oil-cured black olives and a cucumber-tomato salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Not traditionally Turkish but yummy - curried chicken salad.

Attachments

• 1468345402784.jpg
    1468345402784.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 128

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom