What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tuna, Olive and artichoke salad, again! But my salad fixings got frozen in the little fridge at work, so I had grape tomatoes and some Japanese rice cracker mix with it.

I had a bowl of cottage cheese with a fresh sliced peach and nectarine. Love that on a hot summer day with a big frosty glass of ice tea on the porch watching the birds having a pool party in our little garden stream.

Lovely visual, Kayelle. :)

I had a bowl of fresh pineapple on the patio, watching the hummingbirds chase each other away from the feeder. Territorial little guys. Going to get another feeder (or two) tomorrow.

Just polished off an omelet made with scallions, genoa salami, smoked gruyere and parmesan cheeses.

Andy there is a shop in Revere that has a sub that gives you every Italian cold cut. It is call Top Shelf and they put on three slices of those cold cuts. Spike has often gotten one and loves it. But he says to tell them no oil/vinegar. It is not that great. It is made by Dietz & Watson. You are better off waiting until you get home and put your own on. They showed it on Phantom Gourmet today. :angel:

Last edited:
No idea...I'm on the way to do laundry...eventually...and will pick up whatever. My favorite sandwich shop is closed on Sundays.

Andy there is a shop in Revere that has a sub that gives you every Italian cold cut. It is call Top Shelf and they put on three slices of those cold cuts. Spike has often gotten one and loves it. But he says to tell them no oil/vinegar. It is not that great. It is made by Dietz & Watson. You are better off waiting until you get home and put your own on. They showed it on Phantom Gourmet today. :angel:

Addie, I visit a deli in town that makes the perfect (IMO) Italian cold cut sub with Boar's Head cold cuts. I get one every Friday.

One thing frosts me about all sub shops. I give my order the same way every time and they still ask questions.

"Small Italian with oil. everything but lettuce."

"Do you want hot peppers?"

"Yes, everything but lettuce."

"Spices?"

"Yup."

"Salt and pepper?"

"Yes, please."

My only relief from this is when one young woman who works there sees me coming and makes my sub as I walk in the door. She knows.

It's an annoying pet peeve of my that happens wherever I go to get a sub.
Code:

Today I had a Bahn Mi sandwich (I shopped at the Asian market). Then I had a few pappadums to round it off. (Never say I'm not eclectic!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my version (unusual) of cheese on toast. I finely slice some cheese into slivers and place in a non stick pan with a little splash of milk (a few tablespoons). Then I stir on a low heat whilst making toast. What looks unlikely starts to happen, i.e. the cheese will melt into the milk and form a very thick sauce - requires constant stirring but it is a quick process. I often add cayenne pepper (to bring out the cheese flavour more). Absolutely divine on toast! :yum: This mixture would go well with split, baked potatoes (and maybe crisply fried pancetta).

When I make welsh rarebit, I find that it is much nicer to only toast the underside of the bread. The soft upperside is more appetising with the soft topping.

Last edited:
I had my version (unusual) of cheese on toast. I finely slice some cheese into slivers and place in a non stick pan with a little splash of milk (a few tablespoons). Then I stir on a low heat whilst making toast. What looks unlikely starts to happen, i.e. the cheese will melt into the milk and form a very thick sauce - requires constant stirring but it is a quick process. I often add cayenne pepper (to bring out the cheese flavour more). Absolutely divine on toast! :yum: This mixture would go well with split, baked potatoes (and maybe crisply fried pancetta).

That sounds like Rinkum Ditty---- and delicious. :yum:

That sounds like Rinkum Ditty---- and delicious. :yum:
Ah...didn't know about this. Looked it up - rinkum ditty sounds similar but has onions and tomatoes. The simple, concentrated cheese "sauce" that I have on toast is not my recipe, but something I came across ages ago.

Ah...didn't know about this. Looked it up - rinkum ditty sounds similar but has onions and tomatoes. The simple, concentrated cheese "sauce" that I have on toast is not my recipe, but something I came across ages ago.

Yes, that's one version of rinkum ditty. There are other versions that don't have tomatoes and onions. It's like a recipe for stew----- different ingredients but always good. I've made your version often and always loved it.

Glenn and I had our quarterly rheumatologist's appointments in late morning today and had an hour's drive to the doctor's office. By the time we had our appointment and I had blood work done, the halfway home mark was right at lunchtime.

We were near Hardee's and we've always found their burgers to be pretty good so we stopped. Our burgers were hot, fresh and delicious. Best of all, because of the time of the year, the tomatoes on them were actually ruby red and yummy.

I had some of their tasty raspberry iced tea to drink and enjoyed every drop. Our lunch was good and so was our doctor's appointment, plus it was a beautiful day.

No time for lunch, popped a couple mini tarts in my mouth.

I haven't heard from you in a while. I have forgotten you. Just giving you a break. How is the diet going? Any more weight loss? Inquiring minds do want to know. I am not going to give up on you. I want to see you in a size 14-16. I still care and worry. :angel:

I was going to treat myself to lunch at a certain place but didn't fancy what they were offering in the working lunch (the cheaper option). So went to a deli and got a chicken, bacon and avocado baguette + pina colada sorbet. Both disappointing - baguette bland (would have benefitted from something acidic like a slice of tomato) and the sorbet not tasting of anything much. :ermm:
(At least I now what not to get next time I am there!) ;)

Back
Top Bottom