"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #1211
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A snack food I used to take to work was I would make airpopped popcorn and put that in ziplock bags. I like it with S&P or curry powder or chilpolte chili powder, but curry powder and chilpolte stain the fingers. I also would use a couple of shakes of "canned" Parmesan cheese, but you could take a mixture of ziplock bags of popcorn and raw veggies for car snacks. My brother went to university where Cheetos are made. The smell in the air was disgusting. It put me off Cheetos for life.
Wish there was a way to buy some air popped corn, nothing available here but I love the idea of the parmesan cheese on popcorn, the fresh veggies would be good too. Maybe I could make that cottage cheese dip you talked about, sounds like a great grab & go lunch, thanks again for the great tips!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #1212
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Wish there was a way to buy some air popped corn, nothing available here but I love the idea of the parmesan cheese on popcorn, the fresh veggies would be good too. Maybe I could make that cottage cheese dip you talked about, sounds like a great grab & go lunch, thanks again for the great tips!
I made mine at home using my air popper popcorn maker. I would do this on Sunday afternoons and prep it for the week so I could do several different varieties. This is also something I prep for when I make my road trip to MN. Car food! When I would work on site, I had to have FOOD. So, I would pick up cans of smoked mussels or oysters and some saltines (I love saltine crackers). The mussels/oysters were something I could eat at my desk without too much fuss. Veggies with cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, cheese cubes, fruit. I also would bring yogurt covered raisins or nuts and I often mixed up a little ziplock of raw nuts (all kinds), a handful of chocolate chips (dark) and toss that together with chilpolte chili powder and a bit of sea salt/Kosher salt. Still one of my favorite snacks when I snack. This would be for a week--not a day! I also liked to have rice cakes in my drawer. The bottom drawer of my desk was a pantry...but the guy in the next cube had a mini fridge so I could put perishables in his mini fridge...Another favorite road food (and snack) is tomato chips. I dehydrate tomatoes and love those. The flavor is very intense. You can pick up a cheap dehydrator at Walmart that will do the job. You can prep the tomatoes (maybe you have one of those commercial tomato slicers--Netko?) and could dehydrate those slices overnight or on the weekend. Great snack food. You could also dehydrate bananas and other fruits to have as a dried fruit snack. The $40 you would spend on the cheap dehydrator probably would pay for itself in short order if you dehydrated fruit in season.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #1213
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I made mine at home using my air popper popcorn maker. I would do this on Sunday afternoons and prep it for the week so I could do several different varieties. This is also something I prep for when I make my road trip to MN. Car food! When I would work on site, I had to have FOOD. So, I would pick up cans of smoked mussels or oysters and some saltines (I love saltine crackers). The mussels/oysters were something I could eat at my desk without too much fuss. I also would bring yogurt covered raisins or nuts and I often mixed up a little ziplock of raw nuts (all kinds), a handful of chocolate chips (dark) and toss that together with chilpolte chili powder and a bit of sea salt/Kosher salt. Still one of my favorite snacks when I snack.
Sounds like yummy snacks. I may have to invest in an air popper.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #1214
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had two kiwi fruit for my mid day snack. Lunch was a salad with green onion, red & green peppers, carrots, grape tomatoes and ranch dressing. Buffalo chicken and water.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #1215
Chef Extraordinaire

A bowl of oat clusters
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #1216
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

2 slices of 9 grain toast with almond butter, Coffee and V-8 juice.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #1217
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Today I very thinly sliced off the ends of a freshly baked loaf of honey wheat bread. I spread yellow mustard on each side & topped it with a slice of swiss cheese. 1 oz of lean deli ham & some fresh pineapple. Ate it in the car on the way to get a haircut. I also had half of a small bag of baked cheetoes & a 20 oz water.
Very good. You had protein, carb, fiber, fresh fruit and a small treat for yourself. Giving yourself a treat every so often is important. Losing weight isn't about depriving yourself, but eating sensibly.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #1218
Certified Pretend Chef

Yesterday I made chicken salad from leftover roast chicken, scallions and mayonnaise on whole wheat bread.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #1219
Chef Extraordinaire

Leftover corn chowder for lunch here.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #1220
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yesterday I made chicken salad from leftover roast chicken, scallions and mayonnaise on whole wheat bread.
Chicken salad is the only way I will eat the white meat of any fowl.

Tags
lunch