What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MsM, DH wasn't wild about them, so I'm not sure I'd buy them again.
I may have mentioned in a different thread, I don't normally buy frozen "snacky" stuff at the mega-mart.
We would get them for the girls when they were little, along with pizza rolls and bagel bites. They were quick and easy snacky/lunch.

I made a favorite summer food of mine for lunch today - Gazpacho! Surprisingly, this is one of those things made with fresh tomatoes that is almost as good when made with frozen tomatoes, as fresh ones, since it is blended up - with most things calling for fresh tomatoes, they are mushy, of course, and the skin slips off, plus they are watery.

I saw those tomatoes in my freezer, and realized that I had to use them, since this year's crop will be starting soon! So I thawed a 4 lb bag of frozen grapes, and drained maybe 1 1/2 c water from them this morning. I blended the other ing together in the Vitamix, with a few tomatoes, to circulate it, put that in the large bowl, then blended the tomatoes in two more batches. To help thicken it, I added about 1 tb chia seeds to each batch, let them gel about 5 minutes, then blended on high, and also added a generous 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum while running, to each batch. Works even better than the traditional "stale bread", which I never have around anymore. I added the sherry vinegar, then the olive oil to the last batch, adding it slowly, while running, to emulsify. Then I mixed it all up in the 8 qt bowl, and poured it into this 4 qt bowl, which it just fit into! It chilled in the fridge, while I cut up the toppings. That is the only thing missing when making this with frozen tomatoes - some diced fresh tomatoes. But the rest is there.:yum:
Almost 4 qts of gazpacho, using up 4 lbs of tomatoes from last season. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'll eat this again for dinner, and probably for breakfast!

Last edited:
For lunch today, I got out two of my kitchen toys.
The Air Fryer for Nathan's frozen Battered and Thick Cut Onions rings
and leftover French Fries from lunch out a coupla days ago.
I also broke out my Cuisinart 5 in 1 Griddler to make Paninis.

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

Ham & Swiss for DH and Turkey & Cheddar for moi.
Both on a gorgeous Rustic Italian Bread that I found at the Green Grocer yesterday.
We shared a Cola and now I hear little soft snores coming from the sofa :heart:

Big Costco run this morning for essentials like TP, Paper Towels, Soaps, Wraps and Bags.
On my out I made an executive decision that lunch would be a shared plate of Cheese Pizza Slice, Chicken Bake and a Hot Dog with a drink.
IMG_0750.jpg
*belch*
As DH said, "not exactly healthy, but mighty tasty!"
:LOL:
We don't this very often :whistling

Dinner will be sorta-kinda healthy :chef:

Italian style roast beast, cheddar cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce and sliced tomato with Duke's mayonnaise on sourdough; classic potato chips; and a Canada Dry Ginger Ale Zero Sugar.

Big Costco run this morning for essentials like TP, Paper Towels, Soaps, Wraps and Bags.
On my out I made an executive decision that lunch would be a shared plate of Cheese Pizza Slice, Chicken Bake and a Hot Dog with a drink.
View attachment 48120
*belch*
As DH said, "not exactly healthy, but mighty tasty!"
:LOL:
We don't this very often :whistling

Dinner will be sorta-kinda healthy :chef:

The amazing thing about the occasional unhealthy meal is how good it is for your Mental Health.

Slices of homemade baguette, spread with basil pesto, topped with thin slices of tomato and Reggiano parmesan. Twenty minutes in the toaster oven. Glass of old vine zinfandel. A touch more elegant than my usual lunch.

Fettucine alla putanesca. Home-made tomato sauce ( I tend to make a large batch each week, because we could all eat pasta daily!) some chopped Kalamata, capers anchovies and a couple of diced green finger chiles! Hit the spot.

Brunch - Lidl brand Potato and onion Pierogies (with sour cream and apple sauce. I split the plate with DD) and a piece of crumb cake from the German Bakery.

pierogies_081521_IMG_8436.jpg

crumb_cake_081521_IMG_8439.jpg

Back
Top Bottom