What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had guests for lunch and I made caprese salads, with tomatoes and basil from the greenhouse and cilengine (fresh mozzarella balls).

Vr8o5aE.jpg

Also an antipasto platter with home-cured soppressata and pepperone, gruyere and white cheddar, assorted olives, and a sliced baguette. Bottle of Hawley Old Vine Zinfandel.

Bitzer, are you sure you're not a food artist? That's a gorgeous presentation, and very nice picture. Wish I had the talent, and camera for such shots.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ta! I love composing a plate.

The camera is a 3-year-old Panasonic Lumix digital. Looking at a Leica review, I noticed that they'd bought the electronics from Panasonic, so I looked some more and saw that the Panasonic had optics from Leica and cost a lot less. It has a long zoom, good for wildlife shots. I do light editing with the resident Apple photo setup.

Lidl Vegetable Gyoza, Chinese crispy noodles and cherry tomatoes. Sweet & sour sauce and homemade ginger sauce for dipping.

vegetable_gyoza_ginger_sauce_082521_IMG_8492.jpg

Leftover wagu bottom round steak, cooked rare, sliced very thin against the grain Homemade rotini noodles with 5-cheese sauce made from powdered extra sharp cheddar, 10 year aged cheddar,, brie, with the rind removed, Pecorino Romano, Parmesan Reggiano, butter, and a bit of the pasta water. Combine over low heat, stirring until silky smooth. Add 1 tbs. yellow mustard, 6 grape tomatoes, quartered. Add al dente noodles to sauce. simmer to cook tomato, and thicken. Place cold steak into a bowl, cover with rotini and cheese. Stir to combine. Serve with a lightly grilled baguette dressed with EVOO. It was like a deconstructed Philly cheesesteak, but with noodles, and added tomato. It was yummy.

Mom & I were out and about in town today and we started to get a bit peckish, so I took her to my favorite Carniceria were they also have a small takeout and now some tables inside to sit and eat our lunch

IMG_5547.jpg

Not bad for $2.50

IMG_5552.jpg

I also bought a container of their Guacamole to add to our tacos and take the remainder home ... we ate almost the whole thing! :LOL:

I had some of the HUGE Pork Chop leftover
from a coupla nights ago and I just do not
like to waste food.

IMG_0884.jpg

I also had the Hamburger buns from Labor Day still in the pantry.
I reheated the sliced Pork, spread Mayo on one side of the bun
and Pesto on the other; added sliced Tomatoes (for Mom, but not Moi), Romaine Lettuce,
S&P and Bob's your Uncle!
:yum:
Really tasty! Nice and juicy, tender meat made in the Sous Vide cooker.
Let's remember this sandwich.

Today, for an early dinner or late lunch, whatever you want to call it, I made some Som Tum, with some julienned kohlrabi, instead of the traditional green papaya. I had to clean the dust out of my kruk, as I hadn't used it yet this year!

I used 3 Meteor peppers, and 3 Superchilis, and it wasn't as hot as when using my usual Thai peppers. Before using the Meteor, I tried a whole one, and it was a little bitter, but not as hot as the supechili, which aren't as hot as the Thai Vesuvius.

I eat most of it wrapped in a lettuce leaf, and this time some endive leaves, as that it growing even faster.
All ingredients lined up for Som Tum, except for the peanuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Crushed peanuts for the som tum. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished som tum, in the kruk. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A spoonful of the som tum, on a fresh lettuce leaf. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today, for an early dinner or late lunch, whatever you want to call it, I made some Som Tum, with some julienned kohlrabi, instead of the traditional green papaya. I had to clean the dust out of my kruk, as I hadn't used it yet this year!

I eat most of it wrapped in a lettuce leaf, and this time some endive leaves, as that it growing even faster.

Great idea to use kohlrabi, and the lettuce/endive leaves! Love the pictures, too. I'll definitely try this.

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

Creamy Ham & Potato Soup with CI Skillet Rolls ala S&P
I must say DH said that the Rolls didn't taste the same as the
previous batches.
I did use a different Beer.
Usually, I use Trader Joe's Dark Beer, but today I used
IMG_0922.jpg

Aaahhhhh! That's what made the difference!
Beer with Orange undertones versus the Malt-y.

Everything was tasty all the same!

A soup of blenderized tomatoes, slapper chopper fine diced broccoli stems, green and red peppers, onions, and thyme, oregano, basil, and a touch of salt. With ryecrisp crackers. Very refreshing.

Three leftover cheese burgers (homemade), minced. This was put into a pot with 1 cup water, 1 tbs. catsup, 3 tbs. smoky BBQ sauce, a tbs. Worcestershire Sauce,, 3 tbs. dark brown sugar, 1/2 onion, minced, and 2tbs. chili powder. Everything was heated until the onion lost its bite,, and a rich sauce developed, then served on hollowed our burger buns . Pretty tasty Sloppy Joe's

Didn't eat breakfast 'til way past lunchtime. Sautéed mushrooms and string beans with two fried eggs weren't enough calories so had kefir cheese and pico de gallo on whole-wheat toast for dessert.
IMG_20211001_144334634.jpg

Todays lunch: Costco bean, cheese and brown rice frozen burrito - wrapped and microwaved in a paper towel, eaten at my desk.
Dessert: 2 lifesavers (1 orange and 1 green)

Yup - it's been that sort of day.

Portabello cap with pear and provolone. Yumm under the pear and cheese is a smear of Dijon mustard and Balmic Vinegar .20211006_125141.jpg20211006_132855.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom