What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meatball sandwiches!!! I had l/o 6 meatballs with sauce in the freezer. Figured it wasn't quite enough for a dinner, but perfect for sandwiches. Had some "steak rolls" from Walmart...a match made in Heaven! Yum!

DD made mini pizza cups for lunch. Half were mushroom and half were pepperoni.

pizza_cups_101021_IMG_8778.jpg

Made for the boys corned beef hash, fried in dry CI pan, with easy over egg on top for one, and hard yolk egg for the other as he doesn't like soft yolks. Me, egg cooked sunny side up, with a splash of water and lidded for the last 20 seconds to make the top pink, and finish setting the egg white, with toast & butter. Seems I'm the personal chef for this crew.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I made Chief's Sloppy Joes for lunch today. It was yummy! Served it with the rest of last night's coleslaw.

Thanks Chief! I did leave out the bay leaf and I added a touch of wine, as I thought it needed a bit of liquid. I did drain and rinse the kidney beans, maybe I should not have?

IMG_5640 (2).jpg

smileys-cooking-611983.gif

When I make my white bean and Italian sausage soup, if I am using canned beans, I don't rinse them. I was rinsing them, and the soup was not as good as when I made it with soaked, dried beans. But, when I didn't rinse the canned beans, it was noticeably tastier. I tried it once with canned black beans that I didn't rinse. It tasted great, but it gave the soup a kind of yucky colour.

When I make my white bean and Italian sausage soup, if I am using canned beans, I don't rinse them. I was rinsing them, and the soup was not as good as when I made it with soaked, dried beans. But, when I didn't rinse the canned beans, it was noticeably tastier. I tried it once with canned black beans that I didn't rinse. It tasted great, but it gave the soup a kind of yucky colour.

taxy, which recipe do you use? I was just thinking about making something like that for supper one night with some of Andy/S&P's Cast Iron Skillet Rolls :yum:

The chippie came to town, a food truck that parks next to a local bar. No menus: just fish and chips. No drinks. Nearly as good as we had in New Zealand.

Nxyr3OO.jpg

The bar doesn't serve food, so they let us carry our hot lunches in as long as we order a pint or two. The truck only shows up 2-3 times each month, which adds to the savor.

Last edited:
I made Chief's Sloppy Joes for lunch today. It was yummy! Served it with the rest of last night's coleslaw.

Thanks Chief! I did leave out the bay leaf and I added a touch of wine, as I thought it needed a bit of liquid. I did drain and rinse the kidney beans, maybe I should not have?

View attachment 49243

smileys-cooking-611983.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just hope it's better than the canned stuff:mrgreen:.

taxy, which recipe do you use? I was just thinking about making something like that for supper one night with some of Andy/S&P's Cast Iron Skillet Rolls :yum:

I use Chef John's recipe. This link has the video and the ingredient list. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279875/italian-white-bean-and-sausage-stew/ I have typed out the instructions from the video. If you want, I can copy and paste those for you. Even though I wrote the instructions down and typed them into CMT, they don't show, when I share from there. I used young rainbow chard instead of kale.

I use Chef John's recipe. This link has the video and the ingredient list. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279875/italian-white-bean-and-sausage-stew/ I have typed out the instructions from the video. If you want, I can copy and paste those for you. Even though I wrote the instructions down and typed them into CMT, they don't show, when I share from there. I used young rainbow chard instead of kale.

So taxy, when you use canned Beans, you're draining but not rinsing, is that right?

So taxy, when you use canned Beans, you're draining but not rinsing, is that right?

Almost, I use the entire contents of the can, no draining. But, as I mentioned, the black beans gave the soup a yucky colour. White navy beans worked great and did not give the soup a yucky colour.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just hope it's better than the canned stuff:mrgreen:.

Oh, dear! Did I tell that story here? MIL telling me my Borscht is "almost as good as the canned stuff." Sigh.

I can't say that I've ever had the stuff from a can for Sloppy Joes? I know what you mean, as I remember the "Manwich" commercials. I make a couple of versions of Sloppy Joes here, as Mikey likes them. I would say that yours is right up there with the best and a keeper.

The other favorite here is a Big Mac Sloppy Joes. I make it with ground chicken and homemade 1000 Island. It is always a hit on the pot luck table at campouts as Sliders. Here's the recipe used for inspiration: https://www.thisisnotdietfood.com/big-mac-sloppy-joes/

Thanks again, Chief!

I'm back from Thanksgiving at my mummy-in-law's place, 100km from where we live. The b-i-l picked us up and drove us home. We had a mostly relaxing stay. We had internet and didn't do much, so I wasn't really missing here.

Almost, I use the entire contents of the can, no draining. But, as I mentioned, the black beans gave the soup a yucky colour. White navy beans worked great and did not give the soup a yucky colour.

I've started a pot of Chef John's Italian White Bean and Sausage Stew!
It's simmering right now and I can't wait to have a small bowl. :clap:

IMG_0961.jpg

YUM!
My twist:
2 Sweet Italian Sausages (the ones from Costco)
2 cans of Cannellini Beans, drained and only partially rinsed, just to get that "slime" off them ;)
1/2 & 1/2 Water and Chicken Broth (total maybe 2qts.)
frozen Spinach, about a cup
and lastly a piece of Parmesan Cheese Rind that I save in my freezer.
I smashed half of a can of the Beans in a bowl, added that to the mix and simmered everything for 30 minutes.
The Beans were done perfectly (I was afraid that they'd be too mushy).
I didn't add any Salt, it had enough I thought to my taste anyways.

A driz of Olive Oil and a shack of Parm over the top at service and bob's your uncle

I had a small bowl, ya know, just to taste :yum:
I think it'll be even better tomorrow

I've started a pot of Chef John's Italian White Bean and Sausage Stew!
It's simmering right now and I can't wait to have a small bowl. :clap:

I just remembered, it freezes well. DH said it may have even improved, especially in texture, with the beans falling apart more. Do let us know what you think of it and if you made any changes / tweaks.
Edit: I see you already tasted it and listed your changes. You posted while I was still typing.

Last edited:
I just remembered, it freezes well. DH said it may have even improved, especially in texture, with the beans falling apart more. Do let us know what you think of it and if you made any changes / tweaks.
Edit: I see you already tasted it and listed your changes. You posted while I was still typing.

I was just think about that, but I'm not sure there'll be any leftover :LOL:
It's only a half recipe, so.
But I do agree with your DH, I think it'll only get better as it sits.

Love Soup Season! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom