What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you know... I've never - ever - had Guacamole!

Fell in love with avocados in England, on our honeymoon, where they were often served halved with Cross & Blackwell Dressing and Salad Shrimp.
My SIL (who had tagged along on the honeymoon!) and I had it almost every meal. Back in reality I overdosed on them and my body said.... uh huh, no more. Haven't had avocado in more than 50 years. Didn't really think about it until Guacamole suddenly became so popular!

Brunch was half a NY strip steak, and a salad. I may have the other half of the steak and another salad for dinner.
steak_salad_092523_1_IMG_1685.jpg

Do you know... I've never - ever - had Guacamole!

Fell in love with avocados in England, on our honeymoon, where they were often served halved with Cross & Blackwell Dressing and Salad Shrimp.
My SIL (who had tagged along on the honeymoon!) and I had it almost every meal. Back in reality I overdosed on them and my body said.... uh huh, no more. Haven't had avocado in more than 50 years. Didn't really think about it until Guacamole suddenly became so popular!
You've never had Guac?? Astonishing!

Also astonishing is how you found any ripe avocadoes in England to fall in love with!

I found frozen Avocado chunks in Sainsburys last week, so now that my US friend has gone home, I am going to try some on toast for lunch tomorrow. (defrosted, of course.) I suspect they will turn into some rather unpleasant green/brown mush, but we will see!

Wasn't there a longer window of "perfectly ripe avocado" back then? When I lived in Denmark in the early 1970s, you would tell the green grocer that you wanted some ripe avocado for some specific day. Then they would pull as many the avocados out of storage at the right time for them to be ready for that party or whatever. Supermarkets and mini-markets wouldn't do that for you. They might not even carry avocados.

Also astonishing is how you found any ripe avocadoes in England to fall in love with!

Katy, we were eating in restaurants the entire time. Guess in the 70's they were better at supplying restaurants before grocers.

Wasn't there a longer window of "perfectly ripe avocado" back then? When I lived in Denmark in the early 1970s, you would tell the green grocer that you wanted some ripe avocado for some specific day. Then they would pull as many the avocados out of storage at the right time for them to be ready for that party or whatever. Supermarkets and mini-markets wouldn't do that for you. They might not even carry avocados.
Utopia!

I had my first braunschweiger sandwich on some pieces of that Russian black bread, with some slices of a fairly sweet onion, and about 4 hours later, I had another! Both times I had some tomatoes, cut up, and with this second sandwich, I had a long dill cucumber spear.

I repurposed hubby's leftover ribeye for his brunch today. I sliced the last of our garden jalapeños and rendered down the fatty pieces from his ribeye and sliced the lean part on the bias to fold in at the end.
20231007_142451.jpg20231007_142512.jpg
20231007_135140.jpg
I added mushrooms, shallot, roasted garlic, and soy sauce after the fatty beef was rendered until they were cooked.
20231007_142235.jpg
Then stirred jn some cream and provolone cheese until combined before folding in lean steak. I covered the pan and kept it on low heat so it would remain pink.
20231007_142252.jpg
I toasted half a sandwich bun and topped with the steak mixture and 2 fried eggs. The yolks broke because I was using a crappy pan and they stuck--that pan is going into the Goodwill bin! Hubby said it was delicious all the same.
20231007_142419.jpg

Last edited:
I made an "Easy Vegetable Soup" recipe from an ancient Better Homes & Gardens book. It uses canned veggies (Garbanzo beans, Green Beans & Tomatoes) along with fresh stuff (carrots and onions), herbs (basil, rosemary & thyme) and a bunch of beef broth. Wave the magic wand (or cook for 40 minutes), presto, soup! I also made a new to me recipe for Ham & Cheddar Crescent Roll ups - and, in two shakes of a Corgi's tail...or less than 1 hour, we had a nice, hot lunch. Yesterday was 80 degrees here, today it is overcast and just barely over 60 degrees.

I made an "Easy Vegetable Soup" recipe from an ancient Better Homes & Gardens book. It uses canned veggies (Garbanzo beans, Green Beans & Tomatoes) along with fresh stuff (carrots and onions), herbs (basil, rosemary & thyme) and a bunch of beef broth. Wave the magic wand (or cook for 40 minutes), presto, soup! I also made a new to me recipe for Ham & Cheddar Crescent Roll ups - and, in two shakes of a Corgi's tail...or less than 1 hour, we had a nice, hot lunch. Yesterday was 80 degrees here, today it is overcast and just barely over 60 degrees.
That soup sounds like the recipe was made with availability of ingredients in mind. Carrots and onions are almost always available and they can last a long time in the fridge.

The crescent rolls sound good. Do you think they would work with puff pastry cut to size?

Back
Top Bottom