"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #2161
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had PF's pork and beans with a sourdough roll and half an apple.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #2162
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We split another big-as-my-head bbq'd pork burger from last night's dinner, along with previously roasted asparagus.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #2163
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a fresh fruit salad waiting...1 dragonfruit, 5 clementines, 1 grapefruit, 1 cantelope, 1 mango, 1 apple, a handful of blueberries, handful of blackberries, about 1/2 inch of fresh ginger root, grated, zest of one lime, 1/4 of a grated shallot, freshly ground black pepper (to taste), Pink Himalayan salt, about 2 T of freshly chopped French Tarragon, a splash of pomegranate syrup (ah--there's the sugar), and a splash of cane vinegar. I've tasted it several times...YUM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #2164
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

No idea today, I'm headed for the store on my way to work. May just order a sandwich today.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #2165
Executive Chef

I made a veg curry with butternut squash, sweet potato and red lentils last night and had hard boiled eggs and coconut rice with it last night and today's lunch is the last of it. Probably won't have the eggs today though.

I love "egg curry". I shared a flat with two other girls when I was in college. I was just an everyday basic cook back then and one of the others had attended a top girls' public* school and had learned Cordon Bleu cookery part of her curriculum! The third girl had been brought up in India, couldn't boil an egg and would have starved if it hadn't been for peanut butter sandwiches. However, she came with a sheaf of recipes that her mother gave her and which she contributed to the household. Mother had had had a crash course in cookery from her cook in the weeks before the family left India so most of her recipes were authentic and simple. Our favourite was "egg curry" - any sort of veg made into a curry and served as above with hard boiled eggs and rice. Yummy and cheap - great for starving students and other greedy persons!

(*English public schools are not the same as your public schools. This one had been short-listed for the education of Princess Anne, the Queen's daughter!)
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #2166
Head Chef

I found something new (to me) at the grocery yesterday---- a serve in the cup type thingy from Straw Propeller. (Don't ask me what that means!)

Anyway it was oatmeal with raisins,cashews and curry spice----- not very heavy on the curry spice. Just boil water, pour in, wait and eat. I have to say it was pretty good. Wouldn't have been enough for a lunch for me though.

Their web site is:

https://www.strawpropellergourmetfoods.com/
Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #2167
Head Chef

Today I had a chocolate croissant. Needless to say, it was delicious.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #2168
Executive Chef

When I went shopping of Saturday I picked up a giant turkey drumstick (I wouldn't want to meet that turkey on a dark night!) and on Sunday I put it in the slow cooker with sauted onions, carrots. celery and two organic stock cubes dissolved in hot water (I forgot to put the white wine in so I drank it!). The drumstick was too big so I had to take the hatchet and a hammer to it to get it in the pot. Put it in the slow cooker at 9 o'clock at night and promptly forgot it.

Finally realised on Monday evening what the smell of cooking was in the kitchen. It had been cooking for nearly 24 hours! You talk about pulled pork - meet pulled turkey! It had cooked until it fell in shreds but both the meat and the gravy it cooked in tasted wonderful. Had some for dinner yesterday and some for lunch today and there's still enough for another two portions. Might turn the last one into soup.

After the the "pulled turkey" I had for lunch today I had strawberries and plain yoghourt with a sprinkling of All Bran for crunch.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #2169
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a small bowl of Ramen Noodles with butter. I haven't really been eating. So Spike is going to bring me a hot meatball and sausage sub. I have some liver thawing out and I already have the onions sliced. That will be tomorrow's lunch.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #2170
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Taco Tuesday!

Tags
lunch