"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #2171
Chef Extraordinaire

Today I had a turkey and Havarti sandwich and sliced cucumbers with ranch dressing for dipping.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #2172
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Spinach, sweet peppers, avocado and chopped ham salad with Italian dressing.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #2173
Assistant Cook

Egg and bacon sandwich for lunch and a side of fresh pineapple.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #2174
Head Chef

Smile

I had the recipe I posted here yesterday....i.e.

Panzanella
is a great Italian salad using ciabatta bread baked into croutons. Served warm!

Cut half a ciabatta loaf into 1 inch cubes and place in a large bowl with about 1 tablespoon oil. Mix till coated then bake at Mk. 6 on an oiled tray, centre shelf, along with 5 oz. cherry tomatoes. When tomato skins split and tomatoes soften - about 10 minutes, remove from oven.

Whilst this is baking, cube red pepper into salad bowl and add olives and chopped celery. Mix well and add the croutons and tomatoes. (I forgot to say, when I gave this recipe) to add chopped lettuce too, at the end, as it cools.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is more a side dish, i.e. no protein, I had organic cheese with my home made wholemeal fortified bread (i.e. added organic coconut oil and oatgerm).
Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #2175
Cook

I love that you asked about lunch. There's always much ado about dinner, and almost as much about breakfast. Maybe lunch menus get neglected partly due to the fact that a lot of us may have dinner leftovers for lunch... which is actually what I had for lunch today. I think leftovers may be underrated. I had leftover grilled chicken & apple sausage and Kale & mango salad. I highly recommend the kale & mango salad. I think I may have posted the link here before, but since I'm mentioning it again... here it is. One of the great things about it is that you can dress the whole salad, and still have it the next day and the next. The kale doesn't get soggy. Also the kale is 'massaged'. Prepare and cut up the kale, add drizzle of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and some kosher salad and massage for 2-3 minutes. That breaks it down and softens it a bit. Lemon and honey and a little olive oil for the dressing. Seriously though, a yummy summer salad.

Massaged Kale Salad
Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #2176
Master Chef

Sounds good, Janet. Thank you for sharing. I try to have my biggest meal around mid day, and often it's leftovers from dinner the night before, too. That doesn't always happen though. When I do have a bigger meal for dinner, it's almost always in the afternoon. No likey big huge meals in the evening.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #2177
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I made Dragonlady sesame noodles. Man, the DC enthusiasm for them is spot-on. DH added some mixed sprouts to his. Yum!
Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #2178
Assistant Cook

I usually do leftovers from dinner the night before, but today's a bit of a treat: frozen pizza with spinach and mushroom and a side of Greek yogurt with fruit and flax seed! Yes, I'm lazy with lunch. :P
Old 06-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #2179
Cook

Simple but a favorite. Today was what I call a cucumber salad. What it really is... is salad without the greens: sliced mini cucumber, celery, red onion, TJ's lt. Celtic cheddar, and TJ's sweet & spicy pecans... with the family dressing that was passed down from my mom to me, and from me to both of my kids. I always have a batch made. I also use it as a base for a few other dressings. Add a few things, and it's a whole new dressing. When I asked what kind of dressing it was, Mom said with a straight face, "French dressing". I never quite knew why (or what made it French) until many, many years later when that light bulb went off in my head. Mom was French Canadian. I should have known.

I also highly recommend Trader Joe's Lite Celtic cheddar cheese. It's the only reduce fat cheddar I've ever found that doesn't have that rubbery processed taste and feel (i.e. Cracker Barrel), and has a nice bite to it.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #2180
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
What it really is... is salad without the greens: sliced mini cucumber, celery, red onion, TJ's lt. Celtic cheddar, and TJ's sweet & spicy pecans... .
That sounds like something I like far better than a salad that is mostly lettuce/greens. Maybe that's from eating too many salads with tired lettuce!

I call them 'composed salads'. There can be greens but they're usually just as an underpinning not the main ingredient. They may be served as a light meal.

A Nicoise salad is an example.

Tags
lunch