"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #2181
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
I love that you asked about lunch. There's always much ado about dinner, and almost as much about breakfast. Maybe lunch menus get neglected partly due to the fact that a lot of us may have dinner leftovers for lunch... which is actually what I had for lunch today. I think leftovers may be underrated. I had leftover grilled chicken & apple sausage and Kale & mango salad. I highly recommend the kale & mango salad. I think I may have posted the link here before, but since I'm mentioning it again... here it is. One of the great things about it is that you can dress the whole salad, and still have it the next day and the next. The kale doesn't get soggy. Also the kale is 'massaged'. Prepare and cut up the kale, add drizzle of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and some kosher salad and massage for 2-3 minutes. That breaks it down and softens it a bit. Lemon and honey and a little olive oil for the dressing. Seriously though, a yummy summer salad.

Massaged Kale Salad
I love leftovers. When I lived at home lunch on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas Day) was always leftovers and always included bubble and squeak made with leftover potatoes, brussels and any other left over veg, with cold meat (turkey or goose or whatever we had on Christmas Day) and as we always have onion sauce (= béchamel sauce with onions) there was always some to have on Boxing Day. Mother used to make more veg, sauce and gravy than was needed on Christmas Day just so there would be leftovers for the following day.

I might have a go at your Kale salad. As far as I'm concerned kale is the work of the devil and I avoid it like the plague but I know it's very good for you.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #2182
Chef Extraordinaire

A piece of liver with onions and a piece of bacon.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #2183
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I love leftovers. When I lived at home lunch on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas Day) was always leftovers and always included bubble and squeak made with leftover potatoes, brussels and any other left over veg, with cold meat (turkey or goose or whatever we had on Christmas Day) and as we always have onion sauce (= béchamel sauce with onions) there was always some to have on Boxing Day. Mother used to make more veg, sauce and gravy than was needed on Christmas Day just so there would be leftovers for the following day.

I might have a go at your Kale salad. As far as I'm concerned kale is the work of the devil and I avoid it like the plague but I know it's very good for you.
Bleh! Lots of things are good for you, so there are definitely better choices than kale!

I agree, though - I love leftovers, too. Today I had yesterday's leftover chicken salad and potato salad. Then I was still hungry so I had a scoop of vanilla Greek yogurt topped with strawberry sauce (aka failed strawberry jam), granola and local honey.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #2184
Head Chef

A rare evening meal since I am trying to detox and can only manage half a day, i.e. one meal replacement.

Had a great raw beetroot "salad". It's divine! Simple but very tasty and exceptionally healthy.

Peel and grate raw beetroot into salad bowl. Add crushed garlic and lemon juice to taste. Chill.

(The beetroot and garlic are both blood purifiers and the lemon juice, although acidic, is alkaline in the stomach - it cleanses and eases inflammations).

Of course I kinda spoilt it a bit later with a coffee and one biscuit. (Followed later by a small bown of muesli, banana and some organic milk).
Ah well, baby steps I guess!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #2185
Wine Guy

Three days a week I have to drive into the office. I enjoy the office days, though, because there is a Whole Foods across the street with a hot food bar.

While most people give WF a hard time for being a pricey place to buy groceries, I've found the food bar to be a good value. It's $7.99 a pound - whether that pound consists of salad or mac & cheese. Most of the time my bill comes out to around $5-6.

This particular WF has a pretty good lunch chef. Today I had meatloaf with green beans. It was as good as the meatloaf I make at home.

Yesterday they had a number of Indian items... tikka masala and what not. Also good.

Thursdays is usually Mexican-themed foods.

I usually eat better when I'm in the office. If I were at home, I'd likely just have a cold sandwich or salad.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #2186
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Three days a week I have to drive into the office. I enjoy the office days, though, because there is a Whole Foods across the street with a hot food bar.

While most people give WF a hard time for being a pricey place to buy groceries, I've found the food bar to be a good value. It's $7.99 a pound - whether that pound consists of salad or mac & cheese. Most of the time my bill comes out to around $5-6.

This particular WF has a pretty good lunch chef. Today I had meatloaf with green beans. It was as good as the meatloaf I make at home.

Yesterday they had a number of Indian items... tikka masala and what not. Also good.

Thursdays is usually Mexican-themed foods.

I usually eat better when I'm in the office. If I were at home, I'd likely just have a cold sandwich or salad.

When we visited my brother in MPS, we went to WF, my salad came to around $25! I was so discombobulated that I forgot my wallet at the counter. We did manage to get several meals out of that one little styrofoam container.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #2187
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
When we visited my brother in MPS, we went to WF, my salad came to around $25! I was so discombobulated that I forgot my wallet at the counter. We did manage to get several meals out of that one little styrofoam container.
You made a three pound salad???
Old 06-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #2188
Head Chef

Plain yogurt mixed with mashed up banana, and a touch of maple syrup and vanilla extract.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #2189
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
When we visited my brother in MPS, we went to WF, my salad came to around $25!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #2190
Executive Chef

Left over pizza. Pepperoni, sausage and onion. A bit of Pecorrino and a few pepper flakes.
Its heating at this very moment.

Tags
lunch