What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a banh mi with tofu, pickled daikon and carrot, onion, cukes, and spicy sriracha mayo. Deeeeeeeeeelish!

Photo of the creation:
vpdrtw.jpg

Looks lovely :)

A mountain of steamed green beans (I have this toy that makes French green beans--so prepped about 15 quarts for the freezer--probably steamed a quart for lunch). I steamed them for 3-4 minutes, topped them with nutritional yeast (love that stuff!), about 1 T of EVOO and freshly ground pepper. Now I have to blanch and freeze the rest of those darned beans...I'm sick of picking and freezing beans already and it is only the start of "bean season." Sigh. But, fresh-from-the-garden green beans can't be beat, IMO.

Last edited:
A mountain of steamed green beans (I have this toy that makes French green beans--so prepped about 15 quarts for the freezer--probably steamed a quart for lunch). I steamed them for 3-4 minutes, topped them with nutritional yeast (love that stuff!), about 1 T of EVOO and freshly ground pepper. Now I have to blanch and freeze the rest of those darned beans...I'm sick of picking and freezing beans already and it is only the start of "bean season." Sigh. But, fresh-from-the-garden green beans can't be beat, IMO.

I have a vague memory of my mother having a cutter for French cut green beans. Hers was a hand crank and she would let me sometimes crank it and sometimes feed the beans into it one at a time. But first I had to sit with her and snap off the stem ends. We used to sit on the summer porch early in the morning since that is where the shade was. It was clamped to the table that we used to keep out there for working. I think that is the only reason I like only the French cut beans today. Today they have the cutter even for your mixer. But hard to find. She also had a pea sheller. Put the whole pea in one end and out popped the pea into the bowl. I loved that one. They didn't have SS equipment then. So by todays standards, they would be very old looking. But I thought they were magic.

Sometimes I think I had the happiest summers of any kid. :angel:

Last edited:
Have never heard of it, surely you're posting the recipe, Grumblebee? Looks yummy!

Had a wow lunch today. We are at a wine event in Oregon where we served a multi course lunch with wine pairings. Included was quail and lamb chops.

img_1285470_0_0ddcb558a86fb9174245fccb7a4b8f49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We are about to make a pizza for lunch :yum:

We usually always have a thin base, but today we are going to make a thicker base and make a stuffed crust...stuffed with mozzarella cheese!

Toppings, probably mushrooms, pepperoni, pineapple, onion, basil, tomato and whatever else we find :yum:

Back
Top Bottom