What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We split another big-as-my-head bbq'd pork burger from last night's dinner, along with previously roasted asparagus.

I have a fresh fruit salad waiting...1 dragonfruit, 5 clementines, 1 grapefruit, 1 cantelope, 1 mango, 1 apple, a handful of blueberries, handful of blackberries, about 1/2 inch of fresh ginger root, grated, zest of one lime, 1/4 of a grated shallot, freshly ground black pepper (to taste), Pink Himalayan salt, about 2 T of freshly chopped French Tarragon, a splash of pomegranate syrup (ah--there's the sugar), and a splash of cane vinegar. I've tasted it several times...YUM.

I made a veg curry with butternut squash, sweet potato and red lentils last night and had hard boiled eggs and coconut rice with it last night and today's lunch is the last of it. Probably won't have the eggs today though.

I love "egg curry". I shared a flat with two other girls when I was in college. I was just an everyday basic cook back then and one of the others had attended a top girls' public* school and had learned Cordon Bleu cookery part of her curriculum! The third girl had been brought up in India, couldn't boil an egg and would have starved if it hadn't been for peanut butter sandwiches. However, she came with a sheaf of recipes that her mother gave her and which she contributed to the household. Mother had had had a crash course in cookery from her cook in the weeks before the family left India so most of her recipes were authentic and simple. Our favourite was "egg curry" - any sort of veg made into a curry and served as above with hard boiled eggs and rice. Yummy and cheap - great for starving students and other greedy persons!

(*English public schools are not the same as your public schools. This one had been short-listed for the education of Princess Anne, the Queen's daughter!)

I found something new (to me) at the grocery yesterday---- a serve in the cup type thingy from Straw Propeller. (Don't ask me what that means!)

Anyway it was oatmeal with raisins,cashews and curry spice----- not very heavy on the curry spice. Just boil water, pour in, wait and eat. I have to say it was pretty good. Wouldn't have been enough for a lunch for me though.

Curry_200x200.png

Their web site is:

https://www.strawpropellergourmetfoods.com/

When I went shopping of Saturday I picked up a giant turkey drumstick (I wouldn't want to meet that turkey on a dark night!) and on Sunday I put it in the slow cooker with sauted onions, carrots. celery and two organic stock cubes dissolved in hot water (I forgot to put the white wine in so I drank it!). The drumstick was too big so I had to take the hatchet and a hammer to it to get it in the pot. Put it in the slow cooker at 9 o'clock at night and promptly forgot it.

Finally realised on Monday evening what the smell of cooking was in the kitchen. It had been cooking for nearly 24 hours! You talk about pulled pork - meet pulled turkey! It had cooked until it fell in shreds but both the meat and the gravy it cooked in tasted wonderful. Had some for dinner yesterday and some for lunch today and there's still enough for another two portions. Might turn the last one into soup.

After the the "pulled turkey" I had for lunch today I had strawberries and plain yoghourt with a sprinkling of All Bran for crunch.

I had a small bowl of Ramen Noodles with butter. I haven't really been eating. So Spike is going to bring me a hot meatball and sausage sub. I have some liver thawing out and I already have the onions sliced. That will be tomorrow's lunch. :angel:

I had the recipe I posted here yesterday....i.e.

Panzanella
is a great Italian salad using ciabatta bread baked into croutons. Served warm!

Cut half a ciabatta loaf into 1 inch cubes and place in a large bowl with about 1 tablespoon oil. Mix till coated then bake at Mk. 6 on an oiled tray, centre shelf, along with 5 oz. cherry tomatoes. When tomato skins split and tomatoes soften - about 10 minutes, remove from oven.

Whilst this is baking, cube red pepper into salad bowl and add olives and chopped celery. Mix well and add the croutons and tomatoes. (I forgot to say, when I gave this recipe) to add chopped lettuce too, at the end, as it cools. :yum:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is more a side dish, i.e. no protein, I had organic cheese with my home made wholemeal fortified bread (i.e. added organic coconut oil and oatgerm).

Last edited:
I love that you asked about lunch. There's always much ado about dinner, and almost as much about breakfast. Maybe lunch menus get neglected partly due to the fact that a lot of us may have dinner leftovers for lunch... which is actually what I had for lunch today. I think leftovers may be underrated. I had leftover grilled chicken & apple sausage and Kale & mango salad. I highly recommend the kale & mango salad. I think I may have posted the link here before, but since I'm mentioning it again... here it is. One of the great things about it is that you can dress the whole salad, and still have it the next day and the next. The kale doesn't get soggy. Also the kale is 'massaged'. Prepare and cut up the kale, add drizzle of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and some kosher salad and massage for 2-3 minutes. That breaks it down and softens it a bit. Lemon and honey and a little olive oil for the dressing. Seriously though, a yummy summer salad.

Massaged Kale Salad

Last edited:
Sounds good, Janet. :) Thank you for sharing. I try to have my biggest meal around mid day, and often it's leftovers from dinner the night before, too. That doesn't always happen though. :LOL: When I do have a bigger meal for dinner, it's almost always in the afternoon. No likey big huge meals in the evening. :mellow:

I made Dragonlady sesame noodles. Man, the DC enthusiasm for them is spot-on. DH added some mixed sprouts to his. Yum!

I usually do leftovers from dinner the night before, but today's a bit of a treat: frozen pizza with spinach and mushroom and a side of Greek yogurt with fruit and flax seed! Yes, I'm lazy with lunch. :P

Simple but a favorite. Today was what I call a cucumber salad. What it really is... is salad without the greens: sliced mini cucumber, celery, red onion, TJ's lt. Celtic cheddar, and TJ's sweet & spicy pecans... with the family dressing that was passed down from my mom to me, and from me to both of my kids. I always have a batch made. I also use it as a base for a few other dressings. Add a few things, and it's a whole new dressing. When I asked what kind of dressing it was, Mom said with a straight face, "French dressing". I never quite knew why (or what made it French) until many, many years later when that light bulb went off in my head. Mom was French Canadian. I should have known.

I also highly recommend Trader Joe's Lite Celtic cheddar cheese. It's the only reduce fat cheddar I've ever found that doesn't have that rubbery processed taste and feel (i.e. Cracker Barrel), and has a nice bite to it.

What it really is... is salad without the greens: sliced mini cucumber, celery, red onion, TJ's lt. Celtic cheddar, and TJ's sweet & spicy pecans... .

That sounds like something I like far better than a salad that is mostly lettuce/greens. Maybe that's from eating too many salads with tired lettuce!

I call them 'composed salads'. There can be greens but they're usually just as an underpinning not the main ingredient. They may be served as a light meal.

A Nicoise salad is an example.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom